Dedicated community for Japanese speakers
  • 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Request to update Master Page when HTML is modified

Aug 10, 2011 Aug 10, 2011

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I make use of templates, which I guess are now called master pages, to apply a footer to all the topics in a help project. Recently, our help projects were on RoboHelp 7, and we recently upgraded to RoboHelp 9. On RoboHelp 7, I really didn't have many issues with the templates.

However, since moving to RoboHelp 9, I have noticed a bit of an annoyance.

When saving a topic, even though no changes are made to the footer, I am asked to apply the changes to the Master Page. I choose to apply the changes, because if I do not apply the changes the Master Page becomes unlinked from the topic, and I have to go through the pain of linking the topic again.

I noticed then when the Master Page was applied, it changed a hyperlink to a help topic within the Master Page footer. Each time I had to apply the new update to the Master Page, it would include and extra html\ in the link. So the hyperlink started out as

<a href="html\Example.htm">Example</a>

Then the next time I was requested to apply the change it became

<a href="html\html\Example.htm">Example</a>

An additional html\ would be added with each updated topic. To fix this problem, I took the cue from another post here, and provided this hyperlink in a user defined variable. This seems to have fixed the changing hyperlink issue. It seems a little silly that I have to do this now, but whatever works.

However, it is still annoying that anytime I save a topic, it requests to update the Master Page. I have noticed that if I work solely in Design View and then save a topic, it does not ask me to update the Master Page. However, if I go to HTML view and make a change, even something as simple as adding a single space, it requests to update the Master Page. Is there any way I can convince RoboHelp into accepting that even though I changed the HTML, I did not change the Master Page?

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

This is a bug that is really annoying and for which a fix is needed. Please follow this link as it needs more people to report it.

http://www.Adobe.com/cfusion/mmform/index.cfm?name=wishform&product=38

I can only suggest that if you have to go into HTML view you try saving and closing the topic without going back to Design View, then reopen it. I don't know if that will work but it has to be worth a try.

Please let us know whether or not it works.

See www.grainge.org for RoboHelp and Authoring tips

@petergrainge

Help others by clicking Correct Answer if the question is answered. Found the answer elsewhere? Share it here. "Upvote" is for useful posts.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Peter

Thank you for the quick response, I'll be sure to request a real fix to this as well.

I have tried saving within HTML View, but it still requests to apply the update to the Master Page when I do so. A good idea though for sure.

Although, I should mention that it is important for me to save my changes that I have done in HTML View, apply the update (which of course there is none) and then close the topic. Closing the topic is key because I have noticed that if I go back to Design View directly and make some changes, it will tell me I have changed the Master Page anytime I try to save that topic, no matter what view I am in. Closing the topic and re-opening it though seems to get it out of this loop, and once again only HTML view changes cause the issue.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Aug 11, 2011 Aug 11, 2011

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

For what it's worth, we're also seeing this in RoboHelp 8.

-=Ed.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Aug 12, 2011 Aug 12, 2011

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Yes it is also a RoboHelp 8 issue, there's a long thread about that somewhere.

See www.grainge.org for RoboHelp and Authoring tips

@petergrainge

Help others by clicking Correct Answer if the question is answered. Found the answer elsewhere? Share it here. "Upvote" is for useful posts.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Resources
RoboHelp Documentation
Download Adobe RoboHelp