• Español
      • Français
      • Português
  • 日本語コミュニティ
    Dedicated community for Japanese speakers
  • 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Premiere Pro won't play more than 1 sec of video?

May 20, 2010 May 20, 2010

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I've read many articles where the simple solution was to delete a file. The issue is that...

I can't find the file anywhere: com.apple.audio.AggregateDevices.plist
tried Admin/users, spotlight, partial or full name. Premiere Pro (CS5) is less than a week old in a brand new iMac. Is there a different solution for the problem? (video playback stops after 1 sec)

Thank you

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I don't know if much/any of this will help, since I'm in the Win world... but...

A link with many ideas about computer setup http://forums.adobe.com/thread/436215?tstart=0

Work through all of the steps (ideas) listed at http://ppro.wikia.com/wiki/Troubleshooting

If your problem isn't fixed after you follow all of the steps, report back with ALL OF THE DETAILS asked for in the FINALLY section,

the questions at the end of the troubleshooting link... most especially the codec used... see Question 1

I am going to GUESS there is something wrong/odd about your file... but since you provide no file DETAILS, that is only a guess

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Trial?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

It's a full version. The files play well in FCP & QT

File format:

H.264, 1280 x 720, Millions

Linear PCM, 16 bit little-endian signed integer, 1 channels, 44100 Hz

FPS: 30

It was transferred from an sd card

Footage taken with one of these SLRs

is the fact that I don't have the mentioned file (com.apple.audio...) a problem?

Why is premiere not able to playback the clips? is it a video format problem?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Cannot answer the file question, as I am on a PC - different files.

Now, that LPCM rings a bell. One recent user converted the LPCM Audio to PCM 48KHz 16-bit, and things worked well from that point on. The Linear aspect was his tripping block. Maybe try a test?

Good luck,

Hunt

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Jul 03, 2010 Jul 03, 2010

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I found this post by Googling 'Premiere Pro CS5 video won't play' - I just installed the Master Collection ... and having the same problem on a PC!

It's very strange, if you export the sequence to Encore it will play there, but I have tried importing various files and formants and they all just play for a split second and then stop.  You can hold down the right arrow key and get it to 'play' but that's not useful.

I'm running Vista Home Premium SP2, and am wondering what the PC version of this file to delete to fix the issue is.

Let me know, if you can!

Akie

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

It's either your display drivers or audio drivers.  Update to the latest versions provided from the manufacturer (ie don't assume that Win 7's automatic driver picks are good enough).

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Jul 04, 2010 Jul 04, 2010

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks!  I updated my drivers and it works now!  😃

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,
Jul 04, 2010 Jul 04, 2010

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

What often happens is that a simple OS update, or hot-fix will render one's audio and/or video driver obsolete. PrPro interfaces with these more closely than almost any other program on the computer. Because of that, PrPro might not work, when simple players, and other programs have no issues. Whenever I get an OS update (all on manual), I plan on updating my video and audio drivers - just in case.

Good news, and thanks for reporting,

Hunt

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

After trying Wil's suggestions, try these two solutions:

- Start the computer in Safe Mode. Start Premiere Pro CS5. Try to do the thing that was failing (in this case playback). Now start the computer in normal mode. See if it works now.

- Install the software in a different user account, making sure that it is an account with administrator privileges. Start Premiere Pro CS5. Try to do  the thing that was failing (in this case playback). See if it works now.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Jul 05, 2010 Jul 05, 2010

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Any updates on this for us Mac users?  Having a very similar problem..  all seems to be up to date.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Any updates on this for us Mac users?

What video card do you have?

What is the driver version, and what is the latest driver version?

I do not know how Mac OS updates might affect video, and audio drivers, but on Windows, they can be rendered obsolete instantly. As PrPro interfaces more with those, than nearly any other program on the computer, it will point up issues with obsolete drivers instantly.

Good luck,

Hunt

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Any updates on this for us Mac users?

Try the second solution here:

http://kb2.adobe.com/cps/842/cpsid_84287.html

"Log in to your computer as the root user. Once you are logged in as  root, relaunch your Adobe software and repeat the process that generated  the error. After you have verified that the software functions  correctly, you can return to your regular user account. For information  on enabling the root user, see the Apple documentation on enabling the  root user account, located here."

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Todd,

In layman's terms (also in PC terms, if possible), what is happening here?

At least with your successful suggestions, we all have something to offer, or threads to point to, but can you give us non-Mac folk a brief description.

Thanks, and thank you for helping so many Mac-users with this,

Hunt

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

> In layman's terms (also in PC terms, if possible), what is happening here?

I'm not sure of all of the details. I think that the engineers are still investigating this entangled set of issues. (I'll be able to find out more when we're all back from vacation.) But the general issue seems to be that in some cases the user account in which Premiere Pro is running doesn't have the permission to write to certain files. The root account does. Once these files have been written to, everything is hunky-dory. This seems to be entangled with some other permissions issues and writing to preferences files. This is affecting After Effects and Soundbooth, too, it seems.

So, repairing permissions and running as root are right up there with deleting the preferences folder in the list of relatively easy and harmless things to try when troubleshooting (before reinstallation and such more drastic things).

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,
Jul 06, 2010 Jul 06, 2010

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks for that. Probably just my naivete with anything Mac, but it left me scratching my pointed little PC head. At least we have some useful suggestions for the Mac-set.

Appreciated, and enjoy your holiday,

Hunt

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Contributor ,
May 31, 2011 May 31, 2011

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

It seems that similar issues with permissions on both Mac and Windows cause problems with constant peak file regeneration in CS 5.5 and earlier versions.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
May 31, 2011 May 31, 2011

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

And this is the "unintended consequences" of both Apple and Microsoft adding ever more networking and security features, which do (??) add functions and make computers safer... but also means legitimate users and programs sometimes have problems

I run Win7 and, when I installed, I did so without a password... now, when Win7 says I need permission to do something, I simply click the "go ahead and do it" button (not the real name) and Win7 happily goes ahead and does what I want without my having to remember and enter a system password

This would NOT, of course, work in an office where someone might try to use your computer while you are away... but in my home office, this works for me

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Jul 19, 2011 Jul 19, 2011

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

for some reason the *root user* option does not appear in my directory utility box. why would that be??

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Contributor ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Under the "Edit" menu, "Enable root user"

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

found it thanks!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Aug 15, 2012 Aug 15, 2012

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Help!

Im having the same exact problem but in CS6 Premiere will only play about a second on the sequence then stop. I just upgraded from CS5.5 and right now PP CS5.5 works just fine but PP CS6 doesn't AE PS Ai All seem to be working fine besides Premiere. I searched for that file "com.apple.audio.AggregateDevices.plist" in the prefrence file but its not there I even looked at all 508 files in that folder to see if there was any trace of it. I also logged in as root_user and opened premiere Pro and it still doesn't work I have even gone as far as uninstalling it and reinstalling it but premiere still does not play the sequence. But in Pr Cs5.5 the same video clip plays like normal. Is 5.5 holding something from Cs6?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

That did it!  Logged in as root, tested issue, worked fine as root, now works fine for me.  Weird!  But effective, thanks very much for your superior web-scouring skills!

Nate

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Jan 14, 2011 Jan 14, 2011

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I have had the same playback issue on Macs and PC's with CS5 - the admin login fix worked like a dream. Hopefully I don't have to do those steps each time a student starts a new project. Thanks for solving one of many CS5 performance issues.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Aug 10, 2011 Aug 10, 2011

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I can't believe a huge company like Adobe would recommend to users (who are obviously oblivious to the impact) to enabling and using root. This is extremely dangerous for a non informed user. Enabling root puts your machine at a huge risk number one and number two gives users access to files that are hidden on purpose (to prevent damaging the OS.)

How about a legitimate fix. Login in a root and deleting a device preference is not a solution. Please provide your users with, the reason why this error is happening, and a patch.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines