Exit

IRIVER Story HD - "Can't open doc"

New Here ,
Aug 05, 2011 Aug 05, 2011

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi!

I'm perfectly frustrated.

I connected my new iriver story HD (EB07) to my Adobe ID, which is activated too on my win PC.

I see the reader in ADE and all the books on it.

I can download books I bought or lent.

I can copy them to the reader.

But I cannot open them on the reader! I get the error message "Can't open doc." Nothing else.

I tried to de-install, re-install, de-activate, re-activate, remove files, copy/paste, try calibre... always the "Can't open doc."

Free books can be opened.

I tried to contact the iriver support - no answer. I wrote a ticket to adobe, no answer. I called the local adobe support, got the tip to de-activate and re-activate, but it didn't work.

Does perhaps anyone of you know the device and the error message and how to get over it?

thanks in advance,

monika

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Monika,

This would occur if you have upgraded to firmware 1.10 for Iriver Story HD after you have authorized the reader in Adobe Digital Editions. If you upgraded after installing 1.10 you shouldn't have this problem.

The Iriver agent in Sweden has confirmed that there is a bug in the firmware and we are quite a few users who have the same problem as you do. We are all waiting for a fix of the firmware, meanwhile we can't use our readers for copyright-protected books, only for free ones.

On the main Iriver site however, there is no mentioning of the problem, and the 1.10 version is still available for download. I too have mailed them without getting an answer. Very frustrating.

Here is the link to the Swedish agent's site where they state that there is a bug in the firmware: http://canman.se/nyheter/iriver-story-hd-firmware-bugg

Let's hope they will fix this very soon!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi!

I didn't upgrade yet - firmware is 1.02EU

BSP-Info 0.1.147

Should I upgrade now?

best regards,

Monika

Hi Monika,

>

This would occur if you have upgraded to firmware 1.10 for Iriver Story HD

after you have authorized the reader in Adobe Digital Editions. If you

upgraded after installing 1.10 you shouldn't have this problem.

>

The Iriver agent in Sweden has confirmed that there is a bug in the

firmware and we are quite a few users who have the same problem as you do.

We are all waiting for a fix of the firmware, meanwhile we can't use our

readers for copyright-protected books, only for free ones.

>

On the main Iriver site however, there is no mentioning of the problem,

and the 1.10 version is still available for download. I too have mailed

them without getting an answer. Very frustrating.

>

Here is the link to the Swedish agent's site where they state that there

is a bug in the firmware:

http://canman.se/nyheter/iriver-story-hd-firmware-bugg

>

Let's hope they will fix this very soon!

>

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

After the problem occurred, the Swedish agent advices against upgrading. They have even removed the link to the firmware.

It was when we upgraded that the problems started, so as far as I know you should not upgrade. It seems you have the same problem but for some other reason.

This DRM business i really a nuicanse, and it is even worse if the readers and software can't even handle it. My reader is useless for me until this problem is fixed, and I bought it only a couple of weeks ago.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi again!

Now I did what I read in this thread:

http://forums.adobe.com/thread/698321

I de-installed and re-installed ADE by removing all concerned files, but

it seems, I deleted one file or folder on the iriver, that shouldn't have

been removed. (someting like ".Adobe Digital Editions" or so, I don't

remember exactly)

And now ADE doesn't see the iriver at all

And I too cannot re-authorize the ereader, as it's not seen by ADE...

What could I do? PLEASE....

Monika

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Aug 10, 2011 Aug 10, 2011

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi, have you managed to get it working yet? For us who had problems after installing the 1.10 firmware there is as of today a "new" firmware version to download: 1.00. After installing it and de-authorizing and re-authorizing in Adobe Digital Editions we can finally read our books again.

But that was not your problem. I hope you have solved it.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Aug 11, 2011 Aug 11, 2011

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi!

Indeed, I had two problems:

1) the missing files. this I could solve by doing a system reset (but I came to this solution by myself, I simply tried, as I didn't get any support neither from iriver nor someone else).

2) not being able to read epub-books on my iriver

No, I could'nt really solve the problem yet.

ADE and my reader are not compatible, as adobe themselves told me...

-------------snip:

"We are sorry but we cannot support customer on this issue because is not related to our product itelf.
We are sorry that Iriver support did no answer but the only way for customer to get this issue fixed is definitly to contact them.

This also because the ebook that we have as supported devices from Iriver are:
Iriver Ltd Iriver Cover Story EB05 Dedicated 6” e-reader device with wifi
Iriver Ltd Cover Story EB307 6” Dedicated eInk Reading Device with wifi

(http://blogs.adobe.com/digitalpublishing/supported-devices)

this do not mean that it will not work, but that we do not have information about it because we have not directly tested it.
Customer in this case have really to rely on Iriver support, they are the only that can precisely fix their issue.
Futhermore by reading the forum I can see that seems that the issue is already known and more customer have deleted somefile from his Device..
So again for her the only solution is to get in contact with the device manufacturer."
-------end of snip

So, I use calibre to bring the books readable to my device...

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Engaged ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Do you get the feeling from reading the text of the message from Adobe

support that the writer's native language is not English? It would help a

LOT if Adobe had stateside technical support from people who were able to

understand us as countrymen, not from the classroom.

============

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

My native language isn't English either

But if the answer were OK, I wouldn't mind their origin

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Aug 26, 2011 Aug 26, 2011

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I also got the "Can't open doc" message on DRM EPUB's, This was on a Story HD Basic, right out of the box (came with firmware 1.02).

After finding this post I tried to download the 1.00 "fix" from 5 Aug.

The download kept failing (you get a zip file which is corrupt). After spending a few hours on this, I finally downloaded getright (any download manager will probably work) and enabled segmented download (put it on 4 segments). With getright I managed to download the 1.00 "fix" without getting a corrupt zip file

I can also report that after installing this firmware version the "Cant open doc" was gone (I also de- and re-authorized the device in ADE after the patch)

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Oct 05, 2011 Oct 05, 2011

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Straight out of the box, I did the iRiver update, then started reading the pre-loaded books on the reader.  After reading a couple of ebooks, I then went out to my local library website to 'check out' 2 ebooks to read.  After having some initial issues trying to download the books to my iRiver Story HD, I was finally able to transfer the 2 books to the ereader.  Going to the list of titles on the eReader, all the pre-loaded books are missing and I can't open the the 2 ebooks I downloaded (says my Adobe ID does not match the eReader).  I don't remember if I set up a email ID in the eReader when I first pulled it out of the box.  I'm tempted to re-initialize the eReader and start from scratch to see if that clears it up.

From a customer support standpoint, iRiver sucks.  I have sent them 2 emails about my problem and they have not responded.  They have not even acknowledged (auto-reply or otherwise) receipt of the emails.  I'm going to try calling them, if I can get off work soon enough to catch them still open.  The FAQ section of the website really sucks as well.  Very few question/responses about dealing with system settings and unable to open ebook issues.   

If I can't get any response from iRiver 'Support' or satisfactory answers, I will probably have to resort to a more direct approach of writing directly to the president of the company to get their attention.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines