Dedicated community for Japanese speakers
  • 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Robohelp 7 open Robohelp 9 project?

Aug 10, 2011 Aug 10, 2011

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

as I search through internet, I understand that robohelp 7 unable to open robohelp 9 project

we have two robohelp 7 licenses and three robohelp 9 licenses

when working on project in robohelp 9, it need to upgrade the project, but robohelp 7 is unable to open the project after upgraded

Is it any way opening Robohelp 9 project(converted from version 7 project) in Robohelp 7?

Is it upgrade Robohelp 7 to 9 is the only way? We do not wish to upgrade is because i am wondering if later Adobe release robohelp 10, and by that time we need more robohelp license and we purchased additional license, we will need to upgrade all other old robohelp product?

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi there

The only way I can fathom opening a project in RoboHelp 7 after you have upgraded it to RoboHelp 9 would be to create a CHM output in RoboHelp 9, then decompile it to get the source files. You could then create a version 7 project using the source files.

Cheers... Rick

Helpful and Handy Links

RoboHelp Wish Form/Bug Reporting Form

Begin learning RoboHelp HTML 7, 8 or 9 within the day!

Adobe Certified RoboHelp HTML Training

SorcerStone Blog

RoboHelp eBooks

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

thanks, is there anything will lost if using this way?

for example, conditional tags?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hello again

Yep, conditional tagging is handled in the project before you compile or generate, so indeed they would be lost as would any information you excluded via the tab and build expression.

Not perfect, but at least you get a project you may continue editing in version 7.

Cheers... Rick

Helpful and Handy Links

RoboHelp Wish Form/Bug Reporting Form

Begin learning RoboHelp HTML 7, 8 or 9 within the day!

Adobe Certified RoboHelp HTML Training

SorcerStone Blog

RoboHelp eBooks

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Picking up on the upgrading point....

When Adobe released RoboHelp 9 they changed the upgrade pricing policy. Upgrade from 8 is $399, much lower then previously. If that continues, then the two licences you will have to buy now for 9 will not cost as much to upgrade to 10 as perhaps you are thinking.

See www.grainge.org for RoboHelp and Authoring tips

@petergrainge

Help others by clicking Correct Answer if the question is answered. Found the answer elsewhere? Share it here. "Upvote" is for useful posts.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Aug 11, 2011 Aug 11, 2011

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I just want to add that there is a tool called HHP Builder that can be used to create a HHP file in the folder with the decompiled source files. This can then be opened in Robohelp.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Aug 11, 2011 Aug 11, 2011

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Why would you need the HHP builder? When RoboHelp generates an output, it creates an HHP file. That doesn't change the code in the source files so RoboHelp 9 source files will not play nicely with RoboHelp 7.

@petergrainge

Help others by clicking Correct Answer if the question is answered. Found the answer elsewhere? Share it here. "Upvote" is for useful posts.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Aug 12, 2011 Aug 12, 2011

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Peter, I suppose you mean that you copy the HHP from the project folder into the folder of the decompiled files and open it there with Robohelp? I have never tested that, RH9 supports merged TOCs etc. that are generated during production but if the file names are the same then it should work.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I thought you were suggesting that to open the RoboHelp 9 project in RoboHelp 7 the HHP could be used, in other words open RH7 and point it at the RoboHelp 9 project HHP. As the HHP would already exist, you would not need to build it, hence not following what you were getting at.

When you reverse engineer a CHM using the methods on my site, you get an HHP. I hadn't considered dropping in the HHP from the 9 project.

@petergrainge

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Peter, please excuse if I misunderstood (I'm not a native speaker). My

proposal was to use the decompiled CHM as you has suggested, then to use

HHP Builder to generate the HHP there - simply the same workflow as if

you had some odd CHM without a RoboHelp project.

If I understood you correctly, you meant to use the HHP within the

project folder, copy it into the folder with decompiled files instead of

using HHP Builder? Sounds fine, I have not tested this but it may work.

The other option to open the HHP file directly in the Project folder

using the original source files would not work in my opinion. RoboHelp

inserts proprietary code and I do not think that RH7 is able to work

with RH9 source files.

Sorry for any confusion.

Robert

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

First, there's nothing wrong with your English.

We have misunderstood each other but bottom line is that if you decompile following the instructions on my site, you will have an HHP file for RoboHelp 7 and we are agreed using the HHP from the RoboHelp 9 project would be questionable to say the least.

@petergrainge

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Resources
RoboHelp Documentation
Download Adobe RoboHelp