Dedicated community for Japanese speakers
  • 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Resource Manager and Project Root

Aug 10, 2011 Aug 10, 2011

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

We have recently upgraded to RH9, and the resource manager is something we were looking forward to making the most of. We have a lot of images that need to be placed in projects (upwards of 500 images in one project, for instance), but because some of these images are the same from one project to another, we wished to link them all to the resource manager. Then, if the image changed, we changed it in one place, synced everything, and it was good to go.

There is just one flaw with this whole business. When you put an image from the resource manager into the project, the image file is copied to the root of the project folder! We don't need or want 500+ images in the root of the project folder. Is there a way to set up the resource manager so that when an image is placed into a project from the resource manager, it is placed into a folder within the project called Images?

I noticed with the rhshared...um...sorry, I don't have RH9 on this computer and I'm drawing a blank on the file name, but in that rhshare???.apj file, there is a tag for the location of the file within the resource manager, and then there is a tag for the file when it is placed. However, we can't seem to tell the file to place the images in a specific location without editing the apj file and making another copy of the image in the folder we want it to be in.

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Or it would be even better if a copy wasn't made to the local project but was instead simply linked to the image in the resource manager (therefore only one copy of the image would be on the hard drive). Is that even possible?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Sorry but you have to allow RoboHelp to put the copy in the root if you want to be alerted to changes.

See www.grainge.org for RoboHelp and Authoring tips

@petergrainge

Help others by clicking Correct Answer if the question is answered. Found the answer elsewhere? Share it here. "Upvote" is for useful posts.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Aug 12, 2011 Aug 12, 2011

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I did discover that when RH puts the image in the root folder, it can be moved to a new folder in the project manager. The rhsharedresource.apj shows that the prj_path has been changed. However, when the project is closed and then reopened, the folder that contains the linked images is now blank. If I rename the folder in the project manager, the images display again. However, when I close the project and reopen, the images will again be gone.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Ignore my earlier answer.

I just added an image from Resource Manager and RoboHelp put it in the root, as it always does with any image, linked or not.

Then I moved the image to another folder, closed RoboHelp and reopened. Still showing green to say it was synchronised. I closed RoboHelp and edited the image. On reopening RoboHelp the image had a red mark to show it was not synchronised. Clicked Sync and the amended image showed.

Try it again in a new project first.

@petergrainge

Help others by clicking Correct Answer if the question is answered. Found the answer elsewhere? Share it here. "Upvote" is for useful posts.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Does the new folder only contain images? That could be the problem and is a bug unrelated to Resource Manager.

Try a folder that has a topic, even if you apply a condition to the topic so that it never appears in your help.

@petergrainge

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

This is frustrating. Something so simple should not be so difficult.

I created a folder in the project root. Then I created a dummy.htm file that was tagged so it would do not display when a compile occurs.

Next, I added two images to another topic (not the dummy topic). The images were saved in the root of the project. I moved the images from the root of the project to folder containing the dummy topic. The images were displayed and showed green. I closed the project, reopened the project, and the folder with the dummy topic and images now only contains the dummy topic htm. What am I doing wrong? Why didn't Adobe think about moving an image file from the root of a project?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Riddle this one, if someone can. Under Tools, Options, General, I had Clear project cache checked. When I unchecked it, the images now display in the folder correctly. Why is that?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

First Adobe did think of it, it is working fine for me.

As to the images now displaying, that is bizarre as it is the reverse of what I would expect.

I still suggest you try in a new project just to see if it behaves the way I am seeing it.

Either way, you should report this. The more people who report a bug or request a feature, the more likely it is to be actioned. Please follow this link.

http://www.Adobe.com/cfusion/mmf

@petergrainge

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi,

I have a similar scenario on RH8. I sync images and RoboHelp control files (.apj) from a SharePoint library. I run a script once in a while to resync the project with the files in SharePoint. I can share this script if you like. The downside is that it's not automatic. You need to run the script from the project when you want to sync the files.

Greet,

Willam

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Resources
RoboHelp Documentation
Download Adobe RoboHelp