Dedicated community for Japanese speakers
  • 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Is ASP needed?

Aug 15, 2011 Aug 15, 2011

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I'm using RoboHelp 9 to generate documentation in WebHelp Pro format.

I've been warned that search will only work in this environment if I'm viewing on a Windows client and/or from a Windows-based server because WebHelp Pro requires Microsoft ASP to be present.

Is that true?

I see some .js files coming from RoboHelp. Maybe they're part of the search functionality?

All help very welcome.

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Welcome to the RH forums.

The first thing you need to know is that RoboHelp and RoboHelp Server (the application used to host your WebHelp Pro output) are two very different applications. RoboHelp does not need ASP to produce your WebHelp Pro output. That said, most Windows PCs would have ASP installed, but whether it is there or not will make no difference. RoboHelp Server also does not need ASP as far as I know, but it does require a Windows Server. I'd like to know where you heard this from. I list of the supported OS and DB combinations can be found at:

http://blogs.adobe.com/samartha/2011/03/recommended-osdatabase-combinations-for-robohelp-server.html

The RoboColum(n)   @robocolumn   Colum McAndrew

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thank you!  I really appreciate your time.

I bought Technical Communication Suite 3. The Adobe sales guy told me I have RoboHelp 9 but not RoboHelp Server. I looked at the facilities in RoboHelp Server and felt we didn't need them so I was very comfortable with the purchase decision.

We serve lots of web pages here so I thought we could simply build a machine to serve our help too. I intend to use the Generate facility in RoboHelp 9 to push our help system onto the new server, which will run a version of Linux.

1. Obviously we need to have a server but my understanding is RoboHelp Server (the product) wouldn't be needed. Is that correct?

2. Our engineers here warned me that the Search facilities in the generated WebHelp Pro system won't work because they rely on ASP. That seemed wrong to me but I didn't know for sure.

Do you know if the built-in search button will work for WebHelp served from a Linux server?

3. Will it work for Mac, PC, and Ubuntu clients?

Thank you VERY much for helping.

Ed

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

You are correct. The RoboHelp Server application is only required if you want to benefit from the feedback analytics that it provides. If you are just publishing WebHelp output to a server - Linux or Windows - then you don't need RoboHelp Server. Note that WebHelp is slightly different from WebHelp Pro output which is only required when publishing to the RoboHelp Server application. RoboHelp Server can't be run on a Linux server as far as I know so maybe this is what is behind what your engineers said.

If running on a Linus server I believe you're search will be OK. I don't use Linux here so can't be 100%. Hopefully someone else will chip in here. Likewise with your questions about other platforms.

The RoboColum(n)   @robocolumn   Colum McAndrew

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi there

Hopefully Colum won't mind an added message here.

From what I'm seeing it doesn't seem to me that you are exactly clear on what you are outputting.

The statement: "Our engineers here warned me that the Search facilities in the generated  WebHelp Pro system won't work because they rely on ASP. That seemed  wrong to me but I didn't know for sure." seems to suggest you have elected to create WebHelp Pro as the output type. You might take a peek at the link below:

Click here to view

Cheers... Rick

Helpful and Handy Links

RoboHelp Wish Form/Bug Reporting Form

Begin learning RoboHelp HTML 7, 8 or 9 within the day!

Adobe Certified RoboHelp HTML Training

SorcerStone Blog

RoboHelp eBooks

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

You've been really helpful, folks. Many thanks.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Resources
RoboHelp Documentation
Download Adobe RoboHelp