Dedicated community for Japanese speakers
  • 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

InDesign CS3 crashes when printing in OSX Lion

Jul 20, 2011 Jul 20, 2011

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I installed OSX Lion today and when I try to print from InDesign or Illustrator CS3 applications crash before the print dialogue window appears. Everything I do as a designer goes through InDesign so I really need to solve this problem!

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
replies 125 Replies 125
LEGEND ,
Jul 20, 2011 Jul 20, 2011

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Upload the crash report to pastebin.com and post a link here. (Please do not paste the crsah report into the forum; it is too long and makes the forum unwieldy).

Your chances aren't good though -- Adobe will surely make sure that CS5.5 works with Lion, and perhaps CS5, but maintenance updates for CS3 are relatively unlikely. Your best bet is probably to restore from backups and stick with Snow Leopard, at least for now.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
New Here ,
Jul 21, 2011 Jul 21, 2011

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I'm having the same problem. Here's the link to my crash report: http://pastebin.com/Ux0WchQ1

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I'm having the same problem. Here's the link to my crash report: http://pastebin.com/Ux0WchQ1

Wow, I'd forgotten how annoying those CS3 XML-style crash reports are to read.

Do you have the crash report from Console.app, presumably written to ~/Library/Logs/CrashReporter? That would probably be more helpful bceause it should have symbols.

Looking at the first few by hand, it appears the crash is in Apple's CoreFoundation, then 4 routines in the AdobeAGM library (specifically inside AGMInitialize, according to my copy of CS3), and then in the Print plugin.

On my 10.6.8 system, the crashing routine is allegedly _CFBundleCopyInfoDictionaryInDirectoryWithVersion. You might try this command in Terminal.app and see if it returns the same routine under Lion:

$ atos -o /System/Library/Frameworks/CoreFoundation.framework/Versions/A/CoreFoundation -l 0x9a2f8000 0x9a314a69_CFBundleCopyInfoDictionaryInDirectoryWithVersion (in CoreFoundation) + 1337

Though it really sounds like some kind of corrupt rpeference somewhere. Or perhaps a preference that InDesign is depending on got renamed in Lion or something. Did you try trashing your InDesign preferences?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I'm having the same problem with both InDesign CS4 and Illustrator CS4 crashing when  printing. I don't even get to the print dialog box. When I select  "Print" I get the dreaded spinning rainbow ball, then after a few  moments, the program crashes. Photoshop CS4, Photoshop Elements 8 and  Acrobat Pro 9 print fine. I did update to Java For Mac OS X 10.7 after  installing Lion as suggested in Adobe's documentation on known issues  with Lion. Any ideas, anyone? Would it help if I uploaded my crash report as well?

Thanks!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

BTW...I did trash my InDesign CS4 and Illustrator CS4 preferences and repaired permissions.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

how do you find your preferences files???

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

See "Trash, Replace, Reset, or Restore the application Preferences: http://forums.adobe.com/thread/526990"

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I dumped my preferences and still crashed.

Here's the crash report from Console.App

http://pastebin.com/KKRecp66

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Sorry to make you jump through hoops, that's not the one I mean. Should be under CrashReporter, like this:

consolecrash.png

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I don't have any CrashReport for InDesign in the Crash Reporter:

crashreport.png

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Dug around some more and found this report:

http://pastebin.com/zB5YtKSy

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Sadly, that one loks about the same as your first one -- no decoding

of the sybmol names (unknown, unknown, unknown). Which is just a big

pain in the neck to try to read it. Not quite sure why that is, I don't

remember CS3 crash reports looking that way for me...

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I get this:

Andy-Stantons-MacBook-Pro:~ andystanton$ $ atos -o

/System/Library/Frameworks/CoreFoundation.framework/Versions/A/CoreFo

undation -l 0x9a2f8000

0x9a314a69_CFBundleCopyInfoDictionaryInDirectoryWithVersion (in

CoreFoundation) + 1337

-bash: syntax error near unexpected token `('

Andy-Stantons-MacBook-Pro:~ andystanton$

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Sorry...Don't type the dollarsign, and stop after the 0x9a314a69. All on

one line (well, don't hit return. It's ok if the line wraps, but just make the window bigger). Also, no space in CoreFoundation (not sure why it ended up that way in my post).

Sorry about all the hoops to jump through!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

this is what came back:

0x9a314a69a314a69

Andy-Stantons-MacBook-Pro:~ andystanton$

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Andy, I suspect you did not do it correctly, it should decode to something, even if it is nonsensical.

Meanwhile, jobbydesign's crash reports are a bit more intelligable, since they have symbols:

They're both in basically the same place:

Thread 0 Crashed:: Dispatch queue: com.apple.main-thread
0   com.apple.CoreFoundation           0x95660a69 CFURLCreateStringWithFileSystemPath + 265
1   com.apple.CoreFoundation           0x9566094d CFURLCopyFileSystemPath + 45
2   AdobeAGM                           0x002b1ae0 AGMInitialize + 1392018
3   AdobeAGM                           0x00476218 0x146000 + 3342872
4   AdobeAGM                           0x0016e79a AGMInitialize + 68172
5   AdobeAGM                           0x002ad34b AGMInitialize + 1373693
6   AdobeAGM                           0x0016f748 AGMInitialize + 72186
7   com.adobe.InDesign.Print           0x15cd0567 GetPlugIn + 455687

That is, the crash is in CFURLCreateStringWithFileSystemPath(). That's vaguely encouraging, I guess.

See the Apple CFUrl reference. Of course, it doesn't tell you why it is crashing. Well, and I guess the problem is in CFUrlCopyFileSystemPath(), which has fewer arguments, just a CFURL object and a style. Of course, this probably means that the AGM library is passing it an invalid CFURL.

I don't know why that would be...I guess you might be better off posting at https://discussions.apple.com/community/mac_os/mac_os_x_v10.7_lion.

I'm really not sure.

Sorry guys.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks, John! I appreciate all of the time you've spent on this. I have a few postings on the Apple forum about this issue, although I haven't opened a separate thread on it. Guess that's my next step. That, or just biting the bullet and upgrading to CS5.5. Not keen on that idea, though.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Engaged ,
Jul 22, 2011 Jul 22, 2011

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I wonder how many of you having these problems did a "clean install" of Lion? Since it requires more steps that previous versions of OS X, I assume that a larger proportion installed it "over" Snow Leopard.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Yes, I just installed over Lion. I did download the trial version of CS5, and everything seems to be working fine there, printing and all. Is there a way I can uninstall Lion and to the clean install?

Thanks!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Engaged ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I don't mean to say or suggest that "installing over" an older OS is the problem, all I mean to do is toss another idea into the pot. I'd guess it's very unlikely that installing "over" has anything to do with it -- if things seem to work OK for you, I'd stay right where you are.

(If it does turn out that "installing over" has anything to do with it, however, I'd be happy to explain how I did it -- many other, better descriptions available online though.)

J

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

If I don't get to the bottom of my InDesign CS4/Illustrator CS4 printing issue soon, I may take you up on explaining how you did the clean install, Jeremy! I do appreciate you input.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Print problem with CS4 InDesign  (Originally a stand alone post)

Hi

I really would like to get my CS4 InDesign working in Lion.

I can open a file and work on it and all is well.

As soon as I go into any of the print options (Print, Print Booklet ect) it crashes.

1. I have Trashed my preferences etc by keyboard method

2. I have also located the preferences as per instructions above

3. I have repaired the permissions

CS4 Ill simply does not open so I will not bother with that.

It is very annoying as I had hoped the investment in a top program would be beneficial.  But the problems seem endless.

I can salvage bits of my work into another program as a very last resort.  I certainly cannot afford to upgrade.

Any help would be appreciated as the program was a significant investment.

Isvara78

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Bummer. And not under DiagnosticReports either, I assume?

Well, we're running out of options. What did the atos command say Terminal? Is it still CFBundleCopyINfoDictionaryInDirectoryWithVersion?'

I'm running out of thoughts. It's probably appropraite to open a support

case with Adobe -- I don't know what they're going to do for supporting

CS3 under Lion, though...

I guess you could also glance at https://discussions.apple.com/thread/3194736?start=0&tstart=0

which looks only peripherally related, but suggests that varying the default printer and adding the printer with a different PPD might help.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hey John, if you have the time and could look at my crash reports  that would be great! As I said, I installed Java Runtime for OS X 10.7,  deleted my preferences (plist and InDesign Defaults and SavedData) and repaired permissions, and still have the crashing problem when selecting "Print" in InDesign CS4, as well as Illustrator CS4. Out of curiosty I downloaded the trial for CS5, and it prints fine. Purchasing CS5 right now isn't in the budget at the church where I work.

Thanks!

http://pastebin.com/u/jobbydesign

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines