• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Left TOC pane gone in WebHelp in product but there when I generate help in RH

Aug 16, 2011 Aug 16, 2011

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hello,

I have a help project setup as WebHelp. It is, for lack of a bettter word, embedded in one of our products. A Help tab brings up the project with default.html opens when the user clicks Help. I usually chane the name of the topic title Welcome to.....

When I generate/compile within RoboHelp, the left pane with the Index looks fine (after allowing blocked content). Of course, it opens in a browser.

WebHelp 1.jpg

However, a co-worker in QA noticed that when it opens in the product, the index does not show. The entire WebHelp folder goes in the project (unlike all of my other help projects, which use a .chm that is the lone file pulled by Development).

WebHelp 2.jpg

It should look very similar to the following screenshot. (Don't worry about the product version)

WebHelp 3.jpg

Recently I adjusted the font size of the Contents, Index, search items in the left pane by using the WebHelp Skin Editor (Previously, I added a Search option as well for this new (4.2) version of the product. I opened the .hhk file but made no changes. But I don't see how any of that would affect the pane actually appearing or not.

If anyone has any ideas on how tyo get the pane back, I'd really appreciate it. We're having a releasable build soon, and I need to remedy this. Thanks very much.

Kevin

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

This maybe caused by the application calling the incorrect file. It should be called the file specified in the "Select Output Folder and Start Page" field in your single source layout.

The RoboColum(n)   @robocolumn   Colum McAndrew

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi,

I agree with Colum. If you do need to open your topics based on the location in the application, your developers need to create a context sensitive help call. See the following on Peter's site http://www.grainge.org/pages/authoring/calling_webhelp/calling_webhelp.htm for more information.

Greet,

Willam

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thank you both very much. Unfortunately, it didn't work. This product is the only one I use in RH as WebHelp. Our builder application defaults the help to call default.html.

I did a comparison of the previous version 4.1 that worked without incident. The only thing Dev pulls is the contents of the WebHelp folder. That is what gets checked in our SVN content management system. In comparing 4.1 and 4.2 I noticed a couple things. One of which is that there is no topic in the project called default.html; it's in the WebHelp folder only. Here's a better way to show the folders that may quickly signal an issue to you.

Here's the project folder for my 4.1 version that has worked fine. Notice no default.html file in there.

rh1.jpg

The file is, however, in the WebHelp folder ... but so are default.csh.html and default rhc.html files. No sure about these.

rh2.jpg

Here is how my new 4.2 version's project folder looks. Same as with 4.1, I have no topic called default.html.

rh3.jpg

In 4.2's WebHelp folder, default.html is also there. However, notice there is also a default_ns.css file, which wasn't there previously. Could that be causing a problem?

rh4.jpg

Sorry for all of the questions and pictures. This help has always looked great when I've been compiling 4.2 help when I unit test its links. The index is always there. This issue is baffling me. Thanks again.

Kevin

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Kevin.

No problem with the pictures but they don't answer our question about the start page specified in the single source layout. If this is not default.htm then the application is calling the incorrect file. Can you confirm what the start page is set to? That is the file the application needs to call, not default.htm unless the start page is default.htm of course.

The RoboColum(n)   @robocolumn   Colum McAndrew

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi,

You project source will not have the default.htm as that is created on generation. As are the default_csh.htm and default_rhc.htm and the _ns.css. These files are expected. (The _ns.css only for RH7 and lower.)

Are you sure your developers are using the output from the !SSL! folder and not your project source? Can you post the URL your developers are using for opening the help? I may be able to see something in the URL.

Greet,

Willam

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I'll leave this to you Column. No use for double replies.

Greet,

Willam

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Colum and William,

I started thinking about page/path being called per your suggestions. So, before I generated, I checked the Select Output Folder and Start Page setting. It was not pointing to WebHelp\Default.html file. It was going to the same file I have as the default topic, Welcome To.... So, I changed it in the Select OutPut Folder and Start Page path, generated it, and saved. I gave QA the revised WebHelp folder, they dropped it in the product, and it works fine now.

I guess the bottom line is that I forgot to change the end of the path when I created the project and never went back to do it any time I generated help. I had done so for versions 4.0 and 4.1, but not yet for version 4.2 of our product. Although it's my only WebHelp project as compared to over 25 HTML help projects, I have no excuse. Thank you both very much for your input. You were both at the root (no pun intended) of the problem.

Kevin 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Thanks to Colum and William, the path and source file suggestions did teh trick. Thanks.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Resources
RoboHelp Documentation
Download Adobe RoboHelp