• Español
      • Français
      • Português
  • 日本語コミュニティ
    Dedicated community for Japanese speakers
  • 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

How do you change sequence settings in Premiere Pro CS6, and earlier?

Community Beginner ,
Aug 18, 2011 Aug 18, 2011

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Is it possible to change a sequences settings once you've set up the sequence?

In Sequence Settings everything is grayed out so I can't change it.

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

LEGEND , Aug 18, 2011 Aug 18, 2011

In that case, no.

But you can create a new one with the desired settings and Copy/Paste clips into it.

Votes

Translate

Translate
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

In that case, no.

But you can create a new one with the desired settings and Copy/Paste clips into it.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Too bad.  In FCP you can change the sequence settings to anything anytime.   It may not look right, but you can do it.

Thanks for you help.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Here is one way to be sure your sequence is right so you don't have to make changes

http://forums.adobe.com/thread/872666?tstart=0

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Just out of curiosity, if the footage does not look right, what would be the purpose of changing the Sequences' settings?

Thanks,

Hunt

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Just out of curiosity, if the footage does not look right, what would be the purpose of changing the Sequences' settings?

If, for instance, you created a DV seq and put HD material in it - FC would resize the material to DV size, when you changed the seq setting to HD the clip would be too small, you could then remove the resizing so it would display properly. It would ususally be easer to create a new seq and copy and paste into it, same as Premeir.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

OK, thanks.

In PrPro, from CS 5 up, one can just Import an Asset into the Project, and then drag that Asset to the New Icon, and PrPro will create the proper Sequence for that, so one should not have to change Sequence settings, or experience having the wrong one.

Good luck,

Hunt

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Aug 31, 2012 Aug 31, 2012

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hello All

Bill Hunt wrote:

In PrPro, from CS 5 up, one can just Import an Asset into the Project, and then drag that Asset to the New Icon, and PrPro will create the proper Sequence for that, so one should not have to change Sequence settings, or experience having the wrong one.

Problem with that is that some media, AVCHD, is being read wrong by Premiere. I have personally tried what you suggest with AVCHD 1080p video clips and had them set to be on a AVC - Intra 100 1080i 60hz timeline after dropping them on the new sequence icon. There are a lot of threads about this problem and I have fallen victim to it twice since moving to CS6. In my most recent case I didn't notice till it was too late. Now I have to replace all the sequences I have this sequence clip on with a new one.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Enthusiast ,
Aug 31, 2012 Aug 31, 2012

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

What type of camera did you record your AVCHD footage on? The reason I ask is because I'm thinking the most likely reason it thought your video was interlaced is because several AVCHD camera's shoot footage that they call "1080p" but it's not actually normal progressive footage. It's actually PsF footage. (Progressive segmented frame)  Which with this footage it just records both fields, so what ends up happening is that Premiere ends up reading the footage like it's interlaced which it basically is, except unlike normal interlaced footage this PsF has both fields. Anyways though you can find out if this is the case by using the modify>interpet option from inside your bin, then if it says that you files field order is anything besides progressive then you'll know you will need to conform the footage to progressive as explained in this article in order to make Premiere work with it properly. Although this issue might not be the same thing you're experincing I just figured I'd mention that since it's fairly common place for AVCHD cameras to record PsF.

You may want to check out this article although it may not apply to you depending on what type of camera you're using. Although they cover basically all the major AVCHD camera makers

http://provideocoalition.com/index.php/atepper/story/psf8217s_missing_workflow_em_part_1_benign_psf_...

http://provideocoalition.com/index.php/atepper/story/psf8217s_missing_workflow_part_7_adobe_premiere...

http://provideocoalition.com/index.php/atepper/story/psf8217s_missing_workflow_part_6_tepper_asks_th...

They talk about several Cannon, Panasonic and Sony avchd cameras that all currently record footage this way.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Sep 01, 2012 Sep 01, 2012

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Canon Vixia HFS20

Sony HDR-XR150

I have already been through the parts of the articles I needed to. I am reworking a project now that I know what is going on. From this point on I have to remember that all my footage from these 2 cameras are fake interlaced that needs to be interpreted.

Thanks.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Enthusiast ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hopefully at some point camera makers will start being a little bit more up front with this information. I actually ran into quite a big headache awhile ago when I got some footage from a client and it drove me nuts that Sony didn't disclose all the facts and they simply list it as 1080p even though no edit programs are going to see it as 1080p... I remember I kept wondering why my finished product didn't look crisp and clear and instead looked "jagged" and "blurry" then I came accross the pro video articles that explained what was going on. I find it silly that the camera makers can't simply list the fact it's PsF and also the fact that both Final Cut and Premiere will see it as interlaced somewhere in their manuals...

Although quite a few AVCHD cams shoot in PsF so I guess they might be figuring we should just know. But still I think it's silly.

But that's just my personal hope. However until then I'm glad you now have a proper work-around.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Participant ,
Sep 26, 2012 Sep 26, 2012

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Does this also apply to progressive footage. I read somewhere that "all HD video... if you're shooting  progressive video both fields are displayed simultaniously." I was always under the impression that progressive video was only one frame, no fields.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Normally, progressive video is all one frame, no fields.  But some cameras don't record true progressive, they record what's called PsF, Progressive Segmented Frame.  It splits the original frame up into two separate fields.  This is done to make the footage compatible with broadcast hardware that simply isn't capable of dealing with progressive footage.  It's a technique that had much more relevance in the days of analog standard definition broadcasting, which was originally only interlaced with progressive SD coming along decades later.  But the new ATSC standard has had genuine progressive timing as part of the specification from the start, so there's really no good excuse for any HD video to be using PsF, other than maybe some camera makers cheaping out on their chips.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Participant ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

That's what I thought. Just wanted to confirm.

My Panasonic HMC150 says it records natively as progressive and if you choose interlaced it will process it internally before send out interlaced. This isn't what you're referring to, is it?

Thanks again,

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Nope.  Panny's do it right with genuine progressive sensors and recording.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Participant ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Sa - weet! Thanks.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Enthusiast ,
Nov 25, 2013 Nov 25, 2013

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

To change sequence settings with Premiere Pro CC, right click on the sequence in your project panel ---- Change sequence settings----- Choose the preset you want.

Can't do that in previous version. As it has been said already, just create a new sequence with the right settings and just copy-paste from previous sequence timeline.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Dec 18, 2013 Dec 18, 2013

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Here's a video tutorial of how to fix the horizontal lines issue by changing the sequence settings.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Pscs_AvpNQA

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Sep 03, 2012 Sep 03, 2012

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Jim Simon wrote:

In that case, no.

In 5.5 I did noticed the handles on clips were sometimes lost when copying and pasting clips into a new sequence, in that you can't change the in and out points to extend the duration as you could in the original sequence. What I did was copy and paste the entire clip then set the in and out point in the final sequence. I hope that has been fixed in 6.0.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Aug 30, 2018 Aug 30, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

This literally just saved me 30 hours of work. Thanks!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Here's more information about choosing and changing sequence settings:

FAQ: How do I choose the right sequence settings?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

RFendelman wrote:

Is it possible to change a sequences settings once you've set up the sequence?

In Sequence Settings everything is grayed out so I can't change it.

Well yes but only if the sequence is empty.

Drag clip to timeline and a Clip Mismatch Warning dialog box appears.

Hit Change Sequence Settings.

clip mismatch.png

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Ann,

Good call. I had not considered that possible workflow. You have just altered my way of thinking, as would have said "No," until you pointed out this exception.

Thank you,

Hunt

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

If not the video side of the sequence, it would be nice to be able to change the Audio master track. I keep forgetting to make my sequences 5.1.

Richard Knight

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Ann Bens wrote:

Well yes but only if the sequence is empty.

I emptied my sequence still could not make the changes. Does it also have to not be used anywhere as a nested timeline?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines