Dedicated community for Japanese speakers
  • 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Should long path names be avoided?

Aug 18, 2011 Aug 18, 2011

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Is there a reason why help projects should be located in the hard drive's file structure such that they have particularly short path names?  Is seems to me I read that somwhere, and I noticed that our developer put a previous help project right in the root directory.  We use the Eclipse IDE and CVS for source control, does that have any bearing?

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Aug 19, 2011 Aug 19, 2011

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

The location and path length are separate issues. RoboHelp projects must be on the hard drive. Path length is a Windows limitation and it can get too long if your project is in your profile. In addition to the folders and files in the project, they are all prefixed with C:\users\yourname etc.

Maybe it is the output the developer is moving or maybe it is to do with it being picked up by source control. Otherwise I don't know why they would move your source project.

See www.grainge.org for RoboHelp and Authoring tips

@petergrainge

Help others by clicking Correct Answer if the question is answered. Found the answer elsewhere? Share it here. "Upvote" is for useful posts.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Aug 19, 2011 Aug 19, 2011

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Best practices dictates that RH projects should be located in a C:\Projects\\ folder on your hard drive.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Resources
RoboHelp Documentation
Download Adobe RoboHelp