Dedicated community for Japanese speakers
  • 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Text Entry Captions not created

Aug 22, 2011 Aug 22, 2011

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Using Adobe Captivate 5.0 - Training mode is not creating the Text Captions for Text Entry Boxes, even though selected in the Training/Recording settings. Creates Text Entry box, but no Text Caption. Really want this to work when recording SAP simulations, but doesn't even seem to work when recording internet browser or MS Oulook either. Any ideas?  Thanks.

NoTextCaption.PNG

TOPICS
Recording

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Welcome to our community

Whether captions are created or not depends on whether Captivate understands what you are clicking on. For example, if you try to record using Notepad to save a file, do you see captions then? If not, then perhaps Captivate needs some tweaking. But if so, it likely means Captivate simply isn't understanding what you are clicking on.

Fortunately you are able to manually add captions afterward.

Cheers... Rick

Helpful and Handy Links

Captivate Wish Form/Bug Reporting Form

Adobe Certified Captivate Training

SorcerStone Blog

Captivate eBooks

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks for the welcome and quick response. Tried again with Notepad and same result: TEB, but no Text Caption. Tweak suggestions?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hello again

Try closing Captivate and clobbering the settings folder.

To clobber the settings folder, open Windows Explorer (not Internet Explorer but the file system browser). Navigate to the user folder. That will likely be in the users folder on Windows 7 or the Documents and Settings folder in XP. You should find an Adobe folder and an Adobe Captivate 5 folder inside that. On my own PC the path looks like this:

C:\Users\user\AppData\Local\Adobe\Captivate 5

Just rename the whole folder and restart Captivate. (Renaming will make Captivate believe you deleted it. But if things go wrong, you can rename it back to be back in business)

Cheers... Rick

Helpful and Handy Links

SorcerStone Blog

Captivate eBooks

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Still only creates TEB. Hint and Failure captions are created, but

no Text Caption for initial entry by user.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hello,

Just another idea: could you insert manually a TEB on a slide? Does it have associated Text Captions for Success/Failure? Perhaps the default style for TEB's has been modified without captions?

Lilybiri

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Manual insert of TEB still only creates, Hint, Success, Failure captions and of course the TEB with the Correct Entries window.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Where would you modify the default style for TEBs to not include captions? When I select Object Style Manger for TEBs, I don't see a selection for including or not including captions.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

No, that is not in the Object Style Manager. But if you had a TEB in your project, where you deleted the captions in its Properties panel, Options accordion, this will be remembered. That is the case for me, I never want those captions and CP remembers my wish.

Lilybiri

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I understand. This should work though for software recordings, correct? It would be very time consuming and not as user friendly for me to have to create each Text Caption for every TEB for each recording.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi all

I'm confused here. Initially I thought what was wanted was the standard "Demonstration" text captions. Is that not the case? I see in other posts that what is wanted is a "standard text caption". What exactly is meant by that? The only feedback captions for a Text Entry Box are a Hint, Failure and Success. That's it. Anything else must be manually added.

Cheers... Rick

Helpful and Handy Links

SorcerStone Blog

Captivate eBooks

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Sorry, I guess I am confused too. I thought a feature of Captivate on a "Training" recording type, as opposed to a "Demo" recording type was to auto generate text captions and display them immediately as a user gets to a particular screen. I am used to using a different product that displays the "text caption" in Training mode telling the user what to do on the screen as soon as they get to the screen, but not moving to the next step until they complete the action (as defined in the TEB). Maybe what I am referring to then in Captivate is the Hint caption and all I need to do is make it display immediately. Is that possible?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hello again

Perhaps it will help if I simply describe how Captivate usually works. There are several ways to record. There is "Full Motion" (FMR) where everything is recorded just like a movie. Not the best way of working bit is possible. In FMR no captions or anything of the sort is added during the recording process, but you may add them later if you like.

Then there is the "slide by slide" capture mode. Each click of the mouse generally results in a screen capture. But this mode of capturing has four variations.

* Demonstration

* Training Simulation

* Assessment Simulation

* Custom

Demonstration mode provides text captions for activity. Click this or that. Also, highlight boxes are added along with tracking mouse movement.

Both of the simulation modes will ignore text captions, mouse tracking and highlight boxes. Instead, these modes simply add Click Boxes and Text Entry Boxes to allow "simulation" or interacting with the Captivate. These objects offer "Feedback" captions to indicate Correct or Incorrect actions.

From what you have described, you want to enable "Custom" recording mode where you choose the mix of elements you get.

However, NONE of these modes will analyze what is happening and describe it to the user. Instead, they may or may not recognize what you are clicking on in order to create captions. You might see funky names like "Click the TechnicalNameForControl" control.

Does this help any?

Cheers... Rick

Helpful and Handy Links

SorcerStone Blog

Captivate eBooks

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Aug 23, 2011 Aug 23, 2011

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Yes, Rick, that does clarify it. It's just different than I expected and will take a look at the Custom option. It sounds like we will probably just add Text Captions for TEBs and remove the Hint Captions. For point of reference, the other product I used would create "Hint Captions" for the "Training Mode" but display them as the user reached the screen, walking them through step-by-step to complete the transacation. The simulation did not advance though until the user performed the step (click this, type this, etc.). In its "Assessment" mode, it would remove the automatic Hint display, letting the user try to take steps without the hint, from memory. If they wanted help, they could ask for help, and the Hint would display. Thanks again for taking the time to respond and provide help.

Sam

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,
Aug 23, 2011 Aug 23, 2011

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Hi Sam

Happy to help. Yeah, Captivate is a whole different animal!

Cheers... Rick

Helpful and Handy Links

SorcerStone Blog

Captivate eBooks

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Resources
Help resources