• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Webhelp generated help displays  characters when opened in FireFox 3.0.1

New Here ,
Sep 02, 2008 Sep 02, 2008

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I use Robohelp & HTML (7.00.145) to generate WebHelp. This help opens correctly in my machine (Windows XP) when I use FireFox 3.0.1, but it does not open in another machine (Windows NT) where the help is integrated with the application. When I open the help form the application it displays  characters. On further investigation, by following the instructions given in http://www.grainge.org/pages/authoring/browsers/browsers.htm, Issue 3, I was able to solve part of the problem i.e I can now see the Contents, Index and Search buttons on the top. I still cannot see the TOC pane and the Body pane.
Could someone please tell me why this happens and also provide a solution for this. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Sep 02, 2008 Sep 02, 2008

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Welcome to the forum.

Before going any further, you should apply the two patches that have been released. Go to Help | Updates.

Also look at Using RH7 on my site.

Not seeing the TOC and Body is not something I have seen reported.

Help others by clicking Correct Answer if the question is answered. Found the answer elsewhere? Share it here. "Upvote" is for useful posts.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
New Here ,
Sep 09, 2008 Sep 09, 2008

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I tried to apply the patch, but the Help/Updates field is greyed out for me though I have registered my software. I have more information too add as to why  characters are dispalyed. As of now when the help is launched form the application(UNIX server), the default Character Encoding used is Western (ISO-8859-1). You can see this in FireFox by choosing View>Character Encoding. If you change this setting to UTF-8 the help displays correctly. Also in http://www.grainge.org/pages/authoring/rh7/using_rh7.htm it is said "Set the 3 bytes UTF-8 BOM (byte-order mark) at the very beginning of the file to tell any kind of text file editor that it is UTF-8 encoded file. These 3 bytes are invisible characters so you won't see them in any editor. These are optional bytes and browsers don’t require them to render a UTF-8 encoded HTML file.". My questions now are:
1. How do you set the 3 bytes UTF-8 BOM if that is the real problem
2. How do I apply the patches
3. Can Robohelp be forced to produce WebHelp with encoding as ISO-8859-1

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Sep 10, 2008 Sep 10, 2008

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST
1] You don't set them. RH does it.Look at item 22 in the Using RH7.

2] Help | Updates on the RH menu.

3] Don't know.

Help others by clicking Correct Answer if the question is answered. Found the answer elsewhere? Share it here. "Upvote" is for useful posts.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Resources
RoboHelp Documentation
Download Adobe RoboHelp