• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Missing Topic Pages in Project upgraded from RHTML8 to RHTML9

Jun 17, 2011 Jun 17, 2011

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I have a very extensive help project that I just did two things with:

• First, I moved it over to a new laptop which my client provided me that has Html 9 instead of 8.
  • When I opened the project on the new machine, it prompted me to upgrade to v9, which I did

However, when I viewed one of my many TOCs and tried to open the first Topic in the topic editor pod, the topic would not display.  When I searched for the topic in the topic list, using Edit/Find Topic, it told me it could not be found.

I then went to my Windows Explorer and opened the Help Source directory.  The "missing" topic was there.  Moreover, when I double-clicked on it, the topic displayed just as it should.  I found several other topics with the same issue.  I cannot look through all the topics to find out which ones are missing as there are hundreds of them in the project.

I have tried deleting the project and copying it back from my old machine to my new one 5 times, both using a thumb drive and loading it up to our ftp site then down to the new machine.

Is this a bug?

Thanks,  Elizabeth

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Were both versions (RH8 and RH9) all patched up to date?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

RH 8 was on my old machine, but RH9 wasn't

patched since it was installed in March.  I will download the latest patch, then re-copy.  I'll post the results

Thanks

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Make sure that the RH8 machine was patched too - there were some issues with that release that were damaging projects. See Peter Grainge's site grainge.org for the workaround in Opening Projects.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Sorry, Jeff, it didn't work.  I patched both machines, deleted the projects on my new machine, then copied them over from the old to the new.  I get the same problem.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Jeff:

One further piece of info: I copied the html file into another folder, then did a file, import.  Voila!  It now sees it in both the TOC and the topic list.  However, this is not a pratical way to go about getting all the files restored.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Did you try killing the .cpd file in the project on the RH9 machine? It may have gotten messed up; deleting or renaming it causes RH to rebuild it.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Same results.  Still ramdom

topics missing

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Jun 18, 2011 Jun 18, 2011

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

If the RoboHelp 8 project was opened without the 802 patch applied at the time, the damage was likely done there. Applying the patch alone does not fix the problem.

I suspect if you go to a backup of the 8 project and open it in 8, you will see the same problem.

See www.grainge.org for RoboHelp and Authoring tips

@petergrainge

Help others by clicking Correct Answer if the question is answered. Found the answer elsewhere? Share it here. "Upvote" is for useful posts.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Jun 18, 2011 Jun 18, 2011

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

But has always worked fine in 8 Or are u saying that because I didn't have the patch, something was hidden in some of the files that 8 could handle but that came out during upgrade? If so Thx

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Jun 19, 2011 Jun 19, 2011

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

It is not a case of something being hidden in files. RoboHelp 8 without the 802 patch lost track of files. You may have opened a folder and a topic and worked on it but the act of opening the project may have caused it to lose track of topics elsewhere in the project. It may have done so as you closed the project. The point is that opening a project in 802 could have resulted in the problem you describe.

@petergrainge

Help others by clicking Correct Answer if the question is answered. Found the answer elsewhere? Share it here. "Upvote" is for useful posts.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Aug 24, 2011 Aug 24, 2011

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hello,

I have the same issue. I am using Robohelp 8.0.2.208 and going through an upgrade process when opening a web help project created in an earlier version of Robohelp, perhaps version 6. The origianl project has a .mpj file, after upgrade this is replaced with a .xpj file. My project contains 322 topic pages but only 207 appear in the topic list following the forced upgrade. Any help would be appreciated.

Greg

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

This thread is about upgrading from 8 to 9. It sounds like you are upgrading to 8, is that the case? For now I will assume it is.

Did you apply the patches when you installed 8 and before you opened the project? If you opened the project in 8 before the patches were applied, that could well be why you have missing topics. Why is explained in Opening Projects on my site.

Either way, do you have a lot of broken links and are the missing topics still where they should be if you look at the project folder in Windows Explorer?

@petergrainge

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hello,

Yes, I am upgrading to Robohelp 8. Version 9 is not approved by my IT dept yet. I have only one broken link. I applied the 8.0.1 and 8.0.2 patches prior to opening the project in Robohelp. Also, the glossary and index are empty following the upgrade, previosly they had many entries.

Thanks,

Greg

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Sorry, forgot the last part...yes the topic files are still in there, they just don't appear in the topic list.

Greg

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Very odd.With all those topics missing would have expected more broken links.

Your options are to import the topics back in and you can select all the topics in a given folder and import them in one go, that should make it fairly quick, or to try a new upgrade. I think I would try the latter first.

I'm assuming the project is local.

You say you applied both patches, check that Help > About does show 802.

@petergrainge

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Nov 08, 2011 Nov 08, 2011

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I am having the same problem. We have tried unistalling RH9, applying the 8.0.1 and 8.0.2 patches, and deleting the .cpd file before reopening the project in RH8 - now the topics (and many graphics files and all sub folders and their contents) are missing from the RH8 project. Repairing the links only restores a few topics. For example: I have one folder with 118 topics - only 12 converted to RH9, 6 more were recoverd with the missing link repair. so I am still missing 100 topics.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,
Nov 09, 2011 Nov 09, 2011

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi and welcome to the community,

Do you have patch 9.0.1 installed? Take the backup of the RH8 project and make a new copy. Try to upgrade the backup to RH9 after installing the patch.

Greet,

Willam

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Nov 14, 2011 Nov 14, 2011

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I backtracked through our version control software to find the last version that opens without issue.Noticed that the roled back root.fpj file conflicted with the current one on my machine so I compared them - ALL the lost folders and topcs were gone from the currrent file. I deleted my current root.fpj file and replaced it with the one that worked properly and Viola! My topics and other files seem to have reappeared. I am not finished inventorying (and since literally hundreds of topics and .gif or .png files were missing that inventory is going to take some time), but most of the missing fiels seem to have reappeared. Very good news.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Feb 21, 2012 Feb 21, 2012

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Verify that you do not have any special characters in the file name or in the name of the folder that contains them. We had them in RH 8 version of the project (I know, I know, not supposed to do this--project was inherited) and had topics dropping because of that.

Had me vexed for a long time!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Jul 19, 2012 Jul 19, 2012

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I am in the process of upgrading from RH8 to RH9. I am using RH8 HTML, RH 8 server and I am current on all patches. I opened my disk and there is no readme document on how to upgrade to RH9.

We have to move to a new 64 bit server and RH8 can not work on 64 bit server. Also we have not received the RH9 Server disk. I have these questions 

1). Where can I get instructions on the procedure of upgrading to RH9?  

2). Can I uninstall RH8 server then upgrade the RH8 HTML client on the current server to RH9 HTML client then have our IT people move RH9 to the new 64 bit server.   

3). Since I will not have RH9 server for some time can I manually publish a project? 

System attributes

RoboHelp HTML V8.02

RoboHelp Server V8.0

WebHelp Pro 5.5o (7.00.145)

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Jul 19, 2012 Jul 19, 2012

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

This post should be in its own thread or split into 2 - one about upgrading your RH8 projects to RH9 (which is dead simple - just open them in RH9, they convert automatically) and one about upgrading RH Server 8 to RH Server 9. Have you checked the RH Server forum first?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Jul 20, 2012 Jul 20, 2012

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Sorry, don’t know how to close this thread. Basically, I am cool, I have solved my problem. Please de-activate this thread. I managed by hook or by crook to restore all my missing topics, in some cases going back to the original source material and re-creating it in RH. FYI it is not dead simple as much as the Adobe folks would like to have it so. Robohelp remains a deeply flawed product but it is basically the only game in town. Those of us in the trenches continue to find work-arounds and soldier on.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,
Jul 20, 2012 Jul 20, 2012

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Hi there

Sorry, but I have to respectfully disagree with your assessment about RoboHelp being "deeply flawed". I've used it almost daily for the last 20 years (Yes, I mean that literally) and while it is software and all software has flaws, I have never found it to be "deeply flawed". But I suppose that's all in the eye of the beholder.

Like ANY piece of software, RoboHelp may not behave as expected on certain and specific configurations of hardware and with specific permissions setup on the operating system.

As for closing threads, there really is no process to close them. As a volunteer forum moderator, we can lock threads, but we only do that if there is something like SPAM attacks or other undesirable activity. So just leaving a thread alone will cause it to eventually fall off the list until it's been posted to again.

Cheers... Rick

Helpful and Handy Links

RoboHelp Wish Form/Bug Reporting Form

Begin learning RoboHelp HTML 7, 8 or 9 within the day!

Adobe Certified RoboHelp HTML Training

SorcerStone Blog

RoboHelp eBooks

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Resources
RoboHelp Documentation
Download Adobe RoboHelp