• Español
      • Français
      • Português
  • 日本語コミュニティ
    Dedicated community for Japanese speakers
  • 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Error initializing Java Runtime Environment. You may need to reinstall Flash.

Explorer ,
Jul 03, 2011 Jul 03, 2011

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

...This is really annoying.

I work with adobe cs5. Recently, it started to not work. I would have to restart it over and over to get it to compile an swf properly. So I am trying cs5.5. I get this error "Error initializing Java Runtime Environment.  You may need to reinstall Flash."

So im like OK....Thats helpful....

-reinstalls flash-

"Error initializing Java Runtime Environment.  You may need to reinstall Flash."

-reinstalls java-

-reinstalls flash-

-reinstalls adobe flash cs5.5-

"Error initializing Java Runtime Environment.  You may need to reinstall Flash."

-google-

So I come across this post. Follow it exactly.

I change the thingy in the file to Xmx1024M

I come to the forums.

What do I do now?

TOPICS
Download and install , Error

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

New Here , Dec 23, 2012 Dec 23, 2012

I found a solution, which works for me.

Just delete the jvm.ini file under the temporary folder location. In windows it would be below path.

C:\Users\USERNAME\AppData\Local\Adobe\FLASH_VERSION\en_US\Configuration\ActionScript 3.0

Eg. C:\Users\admin\AppData\Local\Adobe\Flash CS6\en_US\Configuration\ActionScript 3.0

As soon as you start the Flash, a defult jvm.ini will be created automatically, in that location and your flash works fine.

Acutally the error comes due to the corroupt jvm.ini file (Too la

Votes

Translate

Translate
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Your best bet might be to contact customer/technical support, or if you found a posting discussing your problem, send a private message to whomever was inquiring.  These are user to user forums, and the occasional visits by Adobe employees tend to occur only for postings where software bugs of new releases pop up.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

http://kb2.adobe.com/cps/405/kb405652.html

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

kglad, if you read, you would see that I already tried that.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

sorry i tried to help.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Well..Its honestly looking like im going to have to

solve it myself.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

i know you're frustrated but people, like ned and i, are just trying to help.  we're volunteers.  we're not being paid: we're not adobe employees.

anyway, i've seen that error myself but restarting my computer remedied the problem.  i'm pretty sure that's not going to help you and i thought the most likely remedy explained in the adobe knowledge base would be more likely to help you.  i now know you'd already tried that and it did not help.

i think your best bet is to google that error message and explore all the solutions mentioned.  i'm also pretty sure you've already done some of that but if you've not followed all the links listed, i would encourage you to persist.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Am I really going to have to spend 39$ to get help....

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Jul 29, 2011 Jul 29, 2011

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi!

So has anyone found a solution to this rather irritating problem?

I get this occurring with Flash CS5.5 multiple times every day! Restarting Flash works sometimes, but not always, same applies to restarting my PC...

Reinstalling Flash, as prompted by the error message has no effect, neither does reinstalling the JRE...

I'm running out of hair to pull out.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Aug 25, 2011 Aug 25, 2011

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I guess it was caused by the class_path  probably,  since last time in my pc class_path was :

.;%JAVA_HOME%\jre\lib\rt.jar;%JAVA_HOME%\lib\tools.jar;%JAVA_HOME%\lib\jconsole.jar;%JAVA_HOME%\lib\dt.jar;%JAVA_HOME%\lib\htmlconverter.jar;%JAVA_HOME%\lib\jvm.lib;

, and then I delete all files in  C:\Documents and Settings\All Users\Application Data\Adobe\CS5\jre\ copy another jre's files into the folder

and then  change class_path  into .;%JAVA_HOME%\jre\lib\rt.jar;%JAVA_HOME%\lib\tools.jar;

and things goes right

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Sep 02, 2011 Sep 02, 2011

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I don't know if it's going to help but:

Last time I had random crashes within flash IDE it was caused by my anti-virus which identified some flash DLL as being threatening.

(It was because a flash security leak had been found in flash player, and my AV took rather drastic measures about this issue)

In your case perhaps your Anti-virus has problems with JRE, or some component used by Flash.

The solutions may be to try deactivating your AV for some time to check if the problem remains.

Hope it helps.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Jan 22, 2012 Jan 22, 2012

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hello,

I had the same problem and after trying everything one day I did a "boot-time scan" with my antivirus -avast- and it found some threat with some java files or something, I just leave the program do its job and delete everything what it was wrong. After the restart I opened Flash and it worked fine. No more "error initializing java runtime environment you may need to reinstall flash cs5"

I hope this help.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Mar 16, 2012 Mar 16, 2012

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

This might not help, but I finally fixed this issue, none above worked for me.

I see all jvm.ini files (one in user folder one in adobe folder) so -Xmx1014m read -Xmx128m, then i delete the enviorment variables

JAVA_PLUGIN_WEBCONTROL_ENABLE

JAVA_TOOL_OPTIONS

added vars

QTJAVA : C:\Program Files (x86)\Java\jre6\lib\ext\QTJava.zip

resintalled flash (although i don't think this helped) and java runtime, and it worked after that. This was a VERY VERY frustrating issue, not a big fan of java runtime after this.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Apr 03, 2012 Apr 03, 2012

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I tried to uninstall java and flash as told here http://forums.adobe.com/message/2975044#2975044

but nothing helped.

Eventually I find out it was engough to specify -Xmx256m instead of -Xmx512m, and everything started working.

Too large values > 256 cause the error appear. Too low -Xmx128m makes flash to yield while publish.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Jun 16, 2012 Jun 16, 2012

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Dec 23, 2012 Dec 23, 2012

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I found a solution, which works for me.

Just delete the jvm.ini file under the temporary folder location. In windows it would be below path.

C:\Users\USERNAME\AppData\Local\Adobe\FLASH_VERSION\en_US\Configuration\ActionScript 3.0

Eg. C:\Users\admin\AppData\Local\Adobe\Flash CS6\en_US\Configuration\ActionScript 3.0

As soon as you start the Flash, a defult jvm.ini will be created automatically, in that location and your flash works fine.

Acutally the error comes due to the corroupt jvm.ini file (Too large values > 256 cause the error appear. Eg. Xmx1024m ) which gets created in temporary configuration forlders automatically during the Flash Installation.

Everytime Flash starts its looks for the jvm.ini file and allow the maximum initalized memory to the JVM.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Jan 02, 2013 Jan 02, 2013

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Viren  - This worked for me, thanks.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Aug 15, 2021 Aug 15, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

i tryed that and it still didnt work, im getting so mad right now

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
May 07, 2014 May 07, 2014

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Viren, you made my night ;] You've saved my Adobe Flash! It worked fine, thx!!!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Jan 27, 2015 Jan 27, 2015

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Intro:

Finally I got near to roots of that mysterious Error

So here is what I'm found out + Bugfix

JavaPatch for Adobe Flash CS5 / CS6...     Ver #1 [ 21.01.2014 ]

======================================

This is the fix the bug in Flash tell you all the time that

Java could not be loaded. The effect of this error is that

Actionscript will not work.

Flash gives a little misleading error messages that tells you that

"There is no Actionscript in the current Project"

background information:

The problem is that the Java Virtual Machine.dll demands on startup

250MB huge contiguous memory blocks, but the 2GB-Virtual address

space of the Flash.exe process is already filled with various loaded dll's

BEFORE you continue ensure that you install/copied JRE 1.8.0 update 31 to

%ProgramData%\Adobe\CS5\jre\

For testing check if ...Adobe\CS5\jre\bin\java.exe starts

(and shows a help about available commands)

The Patch is for 32-bit version only!

(however the problem is probably not in the 64-Bit Version - since there a process has a much large more 'space')

Well SIMPLE FIX / Workaround:

Use 64-Bit version of Adobe Flash !

TechDetails:

Java's JVM.dll loaded in Ollydebug -  The patched / change bytes are red.
Flash-CSX-jvm-JavaPatch #1.7z.jpg

^-Note that String ASCII "NUMA page alloc..." - will be a great 'link' to easily find that location in other JVM-versions to applied the patch there. Open jvm.dll in Ollydebug open String Ref. Windows and search for the string...

Download instructions:

1. Right click on picture above and download it.
  2. Drag/open  the *.jpg in / into Winrar / 7-Zip 
    OR
    Rename 'Flash-CSX-jvm-JavaPatch #1.7z.jpg' -> 'Flash-CSX-jvm-JavaPatch #1.7z' so you open it by doubleclick

-> My creative solution for that A-Dope-board missing 'Attach file feature'

Tested:

with Adobe Flash CS5 + JRE 1.8.0 update 31

More Techstuff:

Some of my notes that might be useful:

Note the memory is not real allocated in the way it can be use since to write or read from it is just allocated as

MEM_RESERVE like you see in the screenshot above. And freed just a little alter.

It seems that java just checks if it could possible the maximal the JVM is made for.

Note the problem is not that you have to less physical RAM installed.

It's more related how memory is organise.

Well in 32 Bit each process has 4GB (or well practically Windows limits this to 2GB).

0x00000000 to 0x7FFF0000

This space is virtual and not actually claimed (else you would very quickly run out of RAM) but it a kind of potential or Adress system. Na sorry that'll be to offtopic to explain all the basic's about memory.

Adobe Flash CS5 calls

jvm.dll!JNI_CreateJavaVM( OUT **p_vm, OUT **p_env, IN *vm_args);

The 'vm_args'

typedef struct JavaVMInitArgs {

jint version;  00010004

1. /* user classes */

-D java.class.path=

C:\Program Files\Adobe\Adobe Flash CS5\Common\Configuration\ActionScript 3.0\;

C:\Program Files\Adobe\Adobe Flash CS5\Common\Configuration\ActionScript 3.0\asc_authoring.jar;

C:\Program Files\Adobe\Adobe Flash CS5\Common\"...

2. /* set native library path */

-D java.library.path=

C:\ProgramData\Adobe\CS5\jre\bin

-D java.Home=C:\ProgramData\Adobe\CS5\jre

4. classpath append

-X bootclasspath/a:

;.;

C:\Program Files\Java\jdk1.7\jre\lib\ext\QTJava.zip

5. Headless mode is a system configuration in which the display device, keyboard, or mouse is lacking. Headless mode support has been available since the J2SE 1.4 platform.

-D java.awt.headless=true

jboolean ignoreUnrecognized; 1

} JavaVMInitArgs;

So for any further exploration about this Java problem setting a breakpoint to 'JVM.dll!JNI_CreateJavaVM' will be a great startpoint

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Dec 04, 2017 Dec 04, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I can't seem to find someone with a mac that has that error, I just installed high sierra and am running cs6 (I know I should have the cloud but yeah not falling for the subscription pyramid scheme). I use flash everyday (yeah still) for work and now it just quits like every 20 minutes. I need help! please

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Some of this discussion is 6 years old, and the advice may have changed with more recent machines.

Edit the jvm.ini file so that instead of -Xmx128m is says -Xmx1024m. That should give it four times as much memory to work with.

The jvm.ini file is here:

~/Library/Application Support/Adobe/Flash CS6/en_US/Configuration/ActionScript 3.0/jvm.ini

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I don't mean to sound like an idiot but how do I edit it? I am a designer not a programmer

Thanks though had no problem finding it

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

It's a text file. TextEdit would do.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Screen Shot 2017-12-04 at 19.39.47.png

this is what I still get, unable to open large documents to modify, quits randomly and frequently... I still need help

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines