• Español
      • Français
      • Português
  • 日本語コミュニティ
    Dedicated community for Japanese speakers
  • 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

RH7: Is it possible to insert (import) an existing project into another project w/o needing Word?

Aug 26, 2011 Aug 26, 2011

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi everybody,

I would have a question regarding the import of a project in RH7 into another existing project also in RH7.

Right now I saw as the only way to import would be to export the to be imported project as a Word document, and importing it afterwards in the other RH7 project. As the importing is also doing a lot of formatting that I do not want, I have to remove that formatting which requires a lot of time. Also regarding the topics, though I specified in the importing setup that I want from each heading a separate topic, it makes a larger topic with the other topics as bookmarks which I do not want, as I am breaking this large topic into smaller ones, which was the original structure of the imported project.

This requires a lot of time spent, and I would like to avoid that, if possible.

Does anybody know about another procedure that does not require that much amount of time?

Thank you

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

You could just import the .HTM files from one project into another thus avoiding exporting to Word completely. You'd have to revisit any index, TOC or other topic specific attributes (e.g. master page, CSS) but reapplying the appropriate attributes is easy enough.

The RoboColum(n)   @robocolumn   Colum McAndrew

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thank you Colum.

This was the first solution I was also thinking of, however it meant to rebuild the whole TOC, so I thought that the importing procedure should be the fastest one.

It provided at least with a lot of settings about how to do the topics and maintaining the headings, however there is a lot of create new  topic, copy and paste.

I was imagining that it would have been easier to just import a whole project from RH7 to RH7.

Thank you again

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

It is your choice at the end of the day. You can export to word and have the word import settings to create a new topic for each required headings. It's not a big deal either really. If you just wanted to copy the old project into a brand new project you would just copy the folder in Windows Explorer. However it sounds like you already have content in the project you want to import into. In that case you are left with the HTM or Word file import.

The RoboColum(n)   @robocolumn   Colum McAndrew

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Personally I would rather recreate the TOC and Index than sort out the HTML mess that Word will create. It may look good but different browsers can render things in a different way that you don't want and it can affect printed documentation.

If you go the Word route, please prefix any future postings with a health warning indicating how your content was created.

See www.grainge.org for RoboHelp and Authoring tips

@petergrainge

Help others by clicking Correct Answer if the question is answered. Found the answer elsewhere? Share it here. "Upvote" is for useful posts.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thank you Peter.

I will start copying the htm files, and see how it is going.

I know at least that the htm files are formatted the way I want.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

I was trying to say that you shouldn't have asked, simply making clear what I perceive as the dangers of one solution.

See www.grainge.org for RoboHelp and Authoring tips

@petergrainge

Help others by clicking Correct Answer if the question is answered. Found the answer elsewhere? Share it here. "Upvote" is for useful posts.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I realized that, however I was hoping it would be another way I was not aware of, and therefore I asked.

I will see which one is less time consuming and make my choice.

Thanks

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Resources
RoboHelp Documentation
Download Adobe RoboHelp