Expand my Community achievements bar.

Fillable PDFs and databases, what's it all about?

Level 2

Hi Everyone

I'm using Adobe Pro 9 with LC built in and I started using LC forms to collate data from colleagues, basically I created a form then distributed it via email and people would then fill it in and send it back to me. I would collate this into a PDF responses file then export into a csv file. However I'm using Access Databases alot now and have been scouring these forums to see if there is anyway to directly link LC and Access, and indeed there is. Yet after reading many many words on ths I'm more confused than ever, so here is what I'm trying to achieve, so I really would appreciate any help. I've designed a form on LC, this was done by first designing a corresponding table in Access and setting up the connection, so that the fields in the form are bound to the table fields, I've even used the "SQL Query" option to get round the auto incrementation issue. So far so good. Now I need to email that form to all our intended users - none of whom have access to the Access database  - the form is blank and carries no information at all, they will fill it in and email it back to me, I then want to extract that data directly into the database, is this pssible and how.

Thanks in advance to all.

Steppedweller

4 Replies

Former Community Member

I woudl suggest that you have two versions of the form. One for then without a data connection and one for you with a data connection. Have them email back the data only and then you can import that data into your form (with teh data connection). Your version woudl have th elogic to communicate with the DB and update the tables accordingly.

Also note that to be able to use the database connectivity you will need to load the form in Acrobat or Reader extend it usinng LiveCycle Reader Extensions server to allow Reader to do the same.

Make sense?

Paul

Level 2

Hi Paul

Thanks for the reply, however I probably only understand about 60% of it, so please forgive my ignorance.

I understand that I need to have two versions of the form, one without the Database connectivity and one with, though I'm not sure how I would get data from the user form into the connected form?

Also I don't understand what you mean by using "Livecycle Reader Extentions", could you expand on that?

Thanks for your help it is very much appreciated.

Cheers

Steppe

Former Community Member

When th euser submits information back you can program the submit button to send back th eentire PDF or just the data. If you choose just the data you will get an XML data file. Now you can open your version of the form (with the database connectivity in it)  and import the data file into your form. All fields will be filled as if the user typed the info into th eform and you can use your database buttons to do what you wish with it.

If you have Acrobat then you do not need to worry about the Reader Extensions part. By default Reader does not have the functionality in it to allow database connections and saving of the PDF locally. This functionality can be turned on by using Reader Extensions. This is done on a form by form basis. By having your users send the data file there is no local save requirement and if you are using Acrobat there is no need for Reader Extensions to allow database connectivity.

Make sense?

Paul

Level 2

Thanks Paul, I'll give it a try and see how it works.

Cheers

Steppe