• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Avid DNxHD into Premiere Pro CS5.5?

New Here ,
Aug 08, 2011 Aug 08, 2011

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Howdy. New to Premiere Pro and trying the demo. Unfortunately I'm having a issues right off the bat.

I'm trying to import Avid DNxHD 36 media from Media Composer 5.5. But I get some issue saying that the codec isn't supported. Am I wrong that DNxHD is supposed to be native in Premiere Pro CS5+?

Thanks!

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
New Here ,
Aug 08, 2011 Aug 08, 2011

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Almost forgot, my hardware = Mac Pro w/ 12GB RAM. Nvidia GT120. OS 10.6.7.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
LEGEND ,
Aug 09, 2011 Aug 09, 2011

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Am I wrong that DNxHD is supposed to be native in Premiere Pro CS5+?

Correct; DNxHD is not native--meaning that Premiere Pro does not ship with encoders or decoders for it. Since DNxHD uses QuickTime for containering, however, it's a simple (and free) add-on: Avid QuickTime Codecs LE 2.3.4

Once installed, any Avid-encoded QuickTimes will import into PPro without issue, and you can even encode back to an Avid codec (DNxHD and many others) when you select QuickTime as your export Format. Pick the codec you like from the Video tab, and you can configure the encoder as necessary.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Enthusiast ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

.......but, does Avid DNxHD then bog down PPro because it might trigger a 32 bit operation because of Quick Time?? If not, can anyone explain?

JFPhoton

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Sure, you're using the 32-bit QuickTime bridge when using some QuickTime files--DNxHD files included--but I wouldn't get all worked up about it. Despite all the boogity-boogity that goes on around here regarding QuickTime, DNxHD and other QuickTime codecs (ProRes, for example) work just fine in Premiere Pro, on both Windows and Mac.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

So PP uses the QT DNxHD codec even when the files are wrapped in MXF?

I have Media Composer 5.5 on the same system, so it has all the DNxHD QT codecs installed. Even re-installed just to be sure. No luck. I'll try again when I get home.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

So PP uses the QT DNxHD codec even when the files are wrapped in MXF?

Oh--I see. In that case, no. Premiere Pro supports some Avid OMF and MXF files, but I don't believe that DNxHD MXFs are included in that. You'd have to export (rewrap, really) the files from MC to MOVs, which PPro would then import.

That said, I might be able to help you with another rewrapping workflow. Would it be possible to upload a teeny-tiny sample MXF somewhere for testing purposes?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Aug 28, 2011 Aug 28, 2011

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks for the replies guys. Great community here. I'm just getting my head back above water with some work and thought I'd dive into Adobe side of things before I barge into the next Avid project. Upping my After Effcts skills here too as we move away from FCP.

Anyway, I was starting to think that maybe I was over-optimistic in thinking I should be able to move from DNxHD MXF files to Premiere. But now I'm looking at this Adobe page on Extensibility, and it certainly seems to suggest that it should be possible. Easy even. There's a whitepaper specifically on going from MC to PP. Still no luck for me. Going by the method in the paper, I get "Cannot load clips that refer to separately generated media files.  Clip S23A/03 will be set to offline." And no audio or picture online. FYI, this is media that was created in REDcine-X. Anyway, the saga continues...

Colin, I'd send you a media sample but the footage that I'm trying this with doesn't belong to me. Hopefully I'll soon get a chance to bring in some "fresh" media and see how that works.

Thanks again.

- Justin

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Justin,

I don't think you're wrong in assuming this should work--all signs point to "yes" based on the information you've found. There really don't seem to be any really conclusive, "this is how you do it" types of resources, though. Maybe I'll download a demo of MC and see if I can make some files to tinker around with

In the meantime, if you're feeling savvy, you might want to check out ffmbc - FFMedia Broadcast. FFmbc is basically a derivative of FFmpeg that has some considerations for professional/broadcast media. One of those functions, as noted on the website, is the ability to "Create AVID DNxHD files in .mov." Now, that's not totally what you're after, but you might be able to losslessly rewrap these MXFs into MOV containers which WILL import into Premiere Pro, for certain. Granted, that is not the exact solution you're after, but if you're in a situation where you have to get something done, it may be able to get you moving again.

If you should happen to discover anything more conclusive about this supposed functionality, do post back--others will likely find the information useful.

Good luck!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks Colin. I forgot that FFmpeg can do DNxHD. That could end up being really handy.

I'll definately post back as I figure out more.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I wouldn't be surprised if REDCineX was using FFmpeg under the hood for that! Definitely use FFmbc for such things, however--it's got more functionality built-in for professional media. It's MXF support is waaay better than FFmpeg's.

BTW: The Premiere Pro docs are rather tight-lipped and inconclusive about the whole matter...

From File formats supported for import:

MXF (Media eXchange Format; P2 Movie: Panasonic Op-Atom variant of MXF, with video in DV, DVCPRO, DVCPRO 50, DVCPRO HD, AVC-Intra; XDCAM HD Movie, Sony XDCAM HD 50 (4:2:2), Avid MXF Movie), and native Canon XF (new in Premiere Pro CS5.5)

From Importing assets from tapeless formats:

Avid capture format

Avid editing systems capture footage to MXF files, generally into a folder called Avid Media files, with audio captured into discreet files separate from the video files. When you import Avid video files, Premiere Pro automatically imports their associated audio files. However, it is simpler to import Avid project files, in Advanced Authoring Format (AAF), than to identify and import individual Avid MXF video files.

Hmm... yeah. A veritable cornucopia of information.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Here's a PDF document that gives the best account of how to work between Avid Media Composer and Premiere P....

We just posted this, and I'm in the process of writing up a blog post that links to this and some related useful resources.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Ruh roh:

DNxHD
Unfortunately, at this time, DNxHD via MXF is an unsupported codec in Adobe Premiere Pro.

Rewrapping, it is.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Aug 29, 2011 Aug 29, 2011

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Either rewrapping or going with a different codec. I'm not sure if we'd see the advantages of AAF without MXF.

Not supporting DNxHD via MXF is basically not supporting Avid at this point. You would have to come into MC via AMA, which defeats the purpose of Media Composer in many ways. Or use OMF media, which is standard def.

Still, it's good to know. At least it's not just me. But the Premiere marketing re: Avid compatibility is pretty misleading IMHO. Hopefully this will be ammended in CS6. Unless it's an Avid legal issue holding us back.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Participant ,
Aug 30, 2011 Aug 30, 2011

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I agree that adobe really should support these files. We just purchased a Cinedeck recorder system that captures 1080i SDI video in MXF files. They are the same DNxHD formatted MXF and premiere can't load them. Now we wasted thousands of dollars on a device based on adobe's claim of MXF file support. We obviously assumed it was all encompassing, but it is not. It would not think it would be too difficult for adobe to add this into premiere.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

The Cinedeck should be able to do ProRes as well.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Participant ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

JBBarham wrote:

The Cinedeck should be able to do ProRes as well.

It does but that is not what we want, we subscribe to the apple/quicktime is evil theory. We want to avoid them.  We use Windows 7 Machines with 8 cores and 64bit OS, quicktime cripples our systems.

It can't be that hard to implement these files into premiere.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I see. Well I don't know, but their might be a licensing issue at play with DNxHD. I know that there's a $500 add-on to use DnxHD in DaVinci Resolve.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Participant ,
Jan 21, 2012 Jan 21, 2012

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Now that BlackMagic has added DNxHD MXF comperssion to the HyperDeck Shuttle 2, this codec is going to be a useful aquisition format. That means all NLEs will benefit from being able to use it.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Jan 24, 2012 Jan 24, 2012

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

r39525 wrote:

Now that BlackMagic has added DNxHD MXF comperssion to the HyperDeck Shuttle 2, this codec is going to be a useful aquisition format. That means all NLEs will benefit from being able to use it.

Yup balls in your court Adobe - our facility is looking to purchase a number of these units and has been more than a little interested in MC6...really want to stick with CS6 but if the workflow isnt there...

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Jan 29, 2012 Jan 29, 2012

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Feb 12, 2012 Feb 12, 2012

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Just as an update, a rewrap with ffmbc to MOV does not work. The Hyperdeck DNxHD MXF files are non-standard and other than the Calibrated{Q} MXF Importer (I tried the demo with my Shuttle 2 MXF video files and it works) there isn't any cost-effective way of getting them into PPro CS 5.5. Of course, if you have Avid MC installed, that would work also, but most people who use Premiere probably don't have both NLEs.

There is hope on the horizon. The author of ffmbc is entertaining donations to update his software so the MXFs will convert to MOVs and then will open in PPro.  Blackmagic Design staff have posted in their official forum (Creative Cow) that BMD is working on adding another codec to the Hyperdeck series via a firmware upgrade. I'd guess that from the nuances in the post, that they are talking about either ProRes or Cineform.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Feb 17, 2012 Feb 17, 2012

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Blackmagic Design just relased version 2.5 (beta 1) for the Hyperdeck Studio and Shuttle 2, which adds an option for DNxHD in a MOV wrapper. I just checked it out and PPro CS 5.5 reads the files from my Shuttle 2 fine.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Which bit rates of DNxHD does it record in? Or maybe I mean Mbps?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Only 220 Mb/s at 1080, but it might be slightly lower in PAL land (probably 185 Mb/s).

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines