• Español
      • Français
      • Português
  • 日本語コミュニティ
    Dedicated community for Japanese speakers
  • 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Is RH 9 HTML only available as 32 bit version?

New Here ,
Aug 30, 2011 Aug 30, 2011

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

All,

I currently use RH 8 HTML. Our department is considering upgrading to v9—along with the migration to Windows 7 (64 bit version). RH 9 looks great, but I’d like to confirm that that there is only the 32 bit version (vs. a separate 64 version) of the application available.

We use the Link to Word feature for our help pages, so a concern is that if we eventually migrate to MS Word 2010 (64 bit version) that RH 9 will be incompatible.

Thanks!

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Aug 31, 2011 Aug 31, 2011

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

RoboHelp 9 itself installs in 32 bit mode and initially it could only work with the 32 bit version of Word. The 901 patch allows it to interact with the 64 bit version of Word. I haven't seen any reports from people who have tried 901 with Word 64 bit, good or bad.

Microsoft themselves suggest that if Word is going to be used with other apps, then the 32 bit version should be installed.

See www.grainge.org for RoboHelp and Authoring tips

@petergrainge

Help others by clicking Correct Answer if the question is answered. Found the answer elsewhere? Share it here. "Upvote" is for useful posts.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi there

In addition to what my esteemed colleague said, I've seen many other reports across the web that state folks are much better off avoiding the 64 bit versions of Office. There simply isn't anything that is offered that makes 64 bit needed or even worthwhile.

Cheers... Rick

Helpful and Handy Links

RoboHelp Wish Form/Bug Reporting Form

Begin learning RoboHelp HTML 7, 8 or 9 within the day!

Adobe Certified RoboHelp HTML Training

SorcerStone Blog

RoboHelp eBooks

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thank you Peter and Rick—appreciate your replies.

I guess we just assumed that MS Word 2010 64 bit version would be the logical progression. We don’t have immediate plans to upgrade the MS Office suite, but good to know about the prevalence of the 32 bit version.

If you have a minute, do you mind sharing your opinion on the stability of RH 8 with the Windows 7 64 bit version? I’ve done an initial search and it looks like it works for most users, but that it’s not “officially” supported.

I need to build a case for either staying with 8 or moving to 9 with our new Windows 7 migration.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Sep 01, 2011 Sep 01, 2011

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I haven't used RoboHelp on a 64 bit machine so I cannot comment from personal experience. Since 64 bit support was added as far as I can see it has worked OK for folks. Note that RoboHelp 8 is supported, it is RoboSource Control that is not supported.

See www.grainge.org for RoboHelp and Authoring tips

@petergrainge

Help others by clicking Correct Answer if the question is answered. Found the answer elsewhere? Share it here. "Upvote" is for useful posts.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Sep 01, 2011 Sep 01, 2011

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Good to know...I didn't realize it was the RoboSource Control that was unsupported.

Thanks for chiming in again.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Resources
RoboHelp Documentation
Download Adobe RoboHelp