• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

RH8: Generate a CHM from a Single Book

Explorer ,
Sep 01, 2011 Sep 01, 2011

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I have a project with about 10 books in the TOC, and I've been asked to supply a CHM of just one of the books.

• Is there a way to generate a stand-alone CHM from just one of the books (including all topics and books located in that book)?

or

• Is there a way to export/copy the book into a new project so I can generate the CHM from the new project?

Thanks for any help.

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Use conditional build tags and apply one to all the topics you want in the new CHM.

It is important you do it this way. Right click the topic in the TOC and select Apply Conditional Build Tag. Do not directly apply the tag in the next popup, instead select the New / Multiple tag option. In the window you then see tick the Topics box against the tag you want. Do not also tick the TOC field.

Next create a new layout and define a new build expression. In the build expression dialog select Advanced and select the tag you want included. There's more about build expressions on my site if you need it.

http://www.grainge.org/pages/authoring/build_expressions/expressions.htm

See www.grainge.org for RoboHelp and Authoring tips

@petergrainge

Help others by clicking Correct Answer if the question is answered. Found the answer elsewhere? Share it here. "Upvote" is for useful posts.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks for your quick reply.

Will this conditional build tag affect the process when I generate a CHM for the original project (all 10 or so books)? In other words, do I need to "undo" the process before generating a CHM of the original?

Excuse my simplicity, but I'm fairly new to RH and still in the middle of self-teaching as I go.

Thanks again.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

It will not affect your existing layout as long as you create a new layout for this purpose.

singlesourcelayouts.gif

Either create a new layout or duplicate an existing layout and amend it. Make sure you compile to a new location.

Willam's suggestion for applying tags to all topics will help if you think you will get similar requests in future, if this is a one-off then what I suggested should be a little less work. Also copying the project may be easier as you are new to RoboHelp but you should learn about tags at some stage.

See www.grainge.org for RoboHelp and Authoring tips

@petergrainge

Help others by clicking Correct Answer if the question is answered. Found the answer elsewhere? Share it here. "Upvote" is for useful posts.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi,

You can assign conditional build tags to all the files of the ten books. That means ten CBT's, one for each book. Then create a new SSL and exclude all the tags save for the book you want to create.

A more sneaky way if you only need to do this once is to create a copy of your project. Open the project and delete all the files save for the one book you want to create. Then create a CHM. Then remove the copied project.

Greet,

Willam

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Resources
RoboHelp Documentation
Download Adobe RoboHelp