Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

New script dialog box only displays momentarily

Explorer ,
Aug 30, 2011 Aug 30, 2011

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

FM10 in TCS3 on Windows XP

My coworker and I decided to investigate Extendscript and when we select File>Scripting>New from the main toolbar, the New Script dialog box flashes momentarily and then disappears. However, selecting Run displays the Choose Script dialog box, and selecting Catalog displays the Script Library.

We have the latest patches and have installed DITA-FMx, FrameSLT, and SDLAuthorAssistant in FM.  Could any of those be affecting the scripting function?

Thanks in advance.

m

TOPICS
Scripting

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Aug 31, 2011 Aug 31, 2011

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Clicking on "File>Scripting>New" will launch the ExtendScript editor in which one can write and debug scripts.

Vikash

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Sep 01, 2011 Sep 01, 2011

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

In FM 10, it is File>Script>New Script. It does open up the New Script dialog box for approximately two seconds and then shuts it down.

This is happening to both my coworker and me. She has tried reinstalling FM10, but the dialog box still does not display long enough for us to use it.

We hope someone can help us, as we are anxious to use this wonderful new feature.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Enthusiast ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I can report similar behaviour, however it's not a problem as you should be able to open the ExtendScript toolkit from the Windows Start menu. Look for 'Adobe ExtendScript Toolkit CS5'.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Ian,

I did as you suggested and accessed the Adobe ExtendScript Toolkit CS5 through the Start menu. However, it does the same thing: displays for just a few seconds and then disappears.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Enthusiast ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

In that case we have to look elsewhere. On my systems the File > Scripts > New Script.. command simply has no effect. If you double click on any .jsx file does it try to open the ESTK? If so does it stay open?  You can text this with the example scripts in the \Adobe\AdobeFrameMaker10\Samples\ScriptsAndUtilities folder.

You could reset the ESTK preferences by starting it while holding down the shift key.

-Ian

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Ian,

I managed to reach Adobe support and they are currently working on the issue. It seems to have them completely stumped. I will let you know what the fix is, so you can use it, too.

Proudfoot - what a terrific name. Origin?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Enthusiast ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks cvgs,

I think we have different problems. I can use the ESTK without a problem other than starting it from within FrameMaker.

Yes my surname is quite unusual and can be traced back to medieval times. It comes from the Northumberland area of England and the South of Scotland.

-Ian

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I wonder if this is just a focus issue. If you look in your taskbar, is the ExtendScript ToolKit application still running? FrameMaker 9 and 10 have a tendency to "steal" focus from other applications. For example, if I choose FrameScript > Script Window and attempt to move the mouse over the Script Window, FrameMaker 9/10's window will jump to the font and obscure the Script Window. I wonder if this is what is happening to your ExtendScript Toolkit window.

Rick Quatro

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Sep 02, 2011 Sep 02, 2011

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Rick,

Thanks for your response.

The Extendscript icon flashes only momentarily on the toolbar for the same length of time that the New Script dialog box does.

I've been working with the Adobe folks who seem to be stumped. However, there is supposed to be a preferences file for every Adobe application and neither I nor my coworker have that file, so they are pursuing that.

Mary

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Mary K. Greer

Information Developer - Learning Management Solutions

Intelligent Automation Solutions Client Services

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Sep 16, 2011 Sep 16, 2011

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Using TechCommSuite 3.0 on Windows XP.

I always like to close loops and this posting is no exception.

After almost two weeks of diligent sleuthing by Adobe techs and our own security personnel, we determined that the problem of ExtendScript not launching was an in-house problem.

We have a DLP application that interfaces with our desktops for security purposes.  We needed to identify the ExtendScript.exe that was running in order to allow it to function.  Our security guy performed some wizardry and voila!  I had my ExtendScript window.

Mary

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines