• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Urgent-Need to Open PDFs from HTML Help CHM file

Explorer ,
Aug 25, 2006 Aug 25, 2006

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I need to have a compiled help file done by Monday morning, and I have many links to PDFs that are set to open in a new window. My original file format was WebHelp, but someone needs this help file on a CD to take to corporate--yikes! So I can choose no PDFs (unacceptable) or let them field questions about the yellow bar in IE that says the content is *dangerous*!!

I need some help, quick, by Sunday at the latest. This has not been a problem because the Webhelp is served over a LAN and will be on a server--so no "bad" message shows up. It's just a probem because it will be loaded on a CD and taken away.

ANY suggestions are welcome. I've got RoboHelp Office X5 with everything, and could use any format--it just has to WORK.

Please send e-mail dianaost -at- tampabay.rr.com and post here. I'll be checking.

=-=-=Could use the RoboWizard and his majick today!!!-=-=-=-=-=-=-=

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

Community Expert , Aug 28, 2006 Aug 28, 2006
Hmm, that app is not very good. Try this instead. It's not free but at a quick glance and trial, it is very good.

Votes

Translate

Translate
Valorous Hero ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Did I hear my name?

Hi Diana. Have you perused the following link:

Click here to read...

Give that a go and post back or E-Mail me if you have further questions. I'll be happy to do what I can.

Cheers... Rick

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I hope I haven't got this wrong but as Diana already has this working in WebHelp, why not just put that on the CD? In this case it will only be used by her colleagues so they can tick the IE setting "Allow Active Content on CDs to run" to avoid the warning. I don't think Firefox pops up the same warning so I think that could be used as well.

Help others by clicking Correct Answer if the question is answered. Found the answer elsewhere? Share it here. "Upvote" is for useful posts.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Aug 26, 2006 Aug 26, 2006

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Interesting. I decided to check this out and cleared the check boxes for both CD and My Computer so that I would get the warning. I ran a webhelp output on my PC and got the warning. Burned that to CD and no warning. Looks like you can run the webhelp from CD regardless of the setting.

Try just burning to CD. Rick and I do check the forums over the weekend as well so post back how you get on.

Help others by clicking Correct Answer if the question is answered. Found the answer elsewhere? Share it here. "Upvote" is for useful posts.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Aug 27, 2006 Aug 27, 2006

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thank you both so much!

I will try gen'ing the WebHelp and burning to the CD first, and will lete you both know what happens.

Thanks again to the most valuable players on the Robo-forum!

Diana

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Aug 28, 2006 Aug 28, 2006

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

It WORKED.

I can burn the WebHelp files to CD, but get the IE Active X message. I followed the instructions to publish the files, which all work fine, including opening the PDFs (YAY! THANKS).

Maybe the message is appearing because of how I have set up the Webhelp files to open? There is a start page (HTML) with instructions (not part of the Webhelp) that is accessed via a shortcut page in the main CD directory. (I really don't want our CEO to have to go scrolling through a bunch of pages to find the start page.)

I tried using a shortcut to main Webhelp page, but that didn't load the topics properly. Using a start page does load everything.

Is there a better way to do this?

Would an autorun.inf file to make Webhelp load when the CD is inserted be possible? Any help is appreciated! How could I make one?

Diana

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Diana

Re the warning: See my first post and tick that check box. Obviously you will also need to do that on your CEO's PC.

Re the shortcut: So you have created an htm page with a link to the start page but when you click the link, it does not load properly. What does that mean? It fails to load anything, it fails to create a TOC and nav bar? I just created an htm page outside a project and pointed to the start page of a webhelp output and it works just fine. Are you sure you are pointing to the right file as the start page? Might you have given the start page and the default topic the same name? Don't.

I think that to use an autorun you need an exe file. There used to be a freebie that created an exe that fired up the start page but it isn't around any more. Maybe one of your developers could help as it's for the CEO?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Click here for a page describing autorun and linking to a freebie product. I haven't tried it so I don't know how good it is.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hmm, that app is not very good. Try this instead. It's not free but at a quick glance and trial, it is very good.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Valorous Hero ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

HI all

Peter, is this maybe the original link you were looking for?

Click here to visit fellow Microsoft Help MVP David Liske's site

Cheers all... Rick

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks Rick. It was Ugly Fruit Autorun that I had in mind as it had an interface rather than just leaving you to edit the ini file. There are loads of references to it when you Google but every one goes cold when you get to a download link. However, the download to which you point is easy enough to figure out and will get Diana's show on the road for nothing.

For anyone who wants splash screens, corporate icons etc, my second link is neat but you also have to pay for it!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi All:

I found a really easy freeware autorun 1st Autorun Express that did the trick. The file is on its way, and I appreciate all the help.

Thanks!
Diana

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST
Here's a link for anyone interested that compares the different versions.

http://www.autoruntools.com/express/pro/

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Resources
RoboHelp Documentation
Download Adobe RoboHelp