Some simple questions

New Here ,
Sep 04, 2011 Sep 04, 2011

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi,

I am new to captivate and would like to ask if you can do these simple things

1. Capture a freehand region

2. Edit and inserted  capture (like simply scaling)

Thanks

Vicki

TOPICS
Getting started

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Captivate always captures a rectangular area. So freehand region capture is not supported.

I don't quite understand your second question.  Are you trying to insert a captured image and then scale it inside Captivate?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Rod,

Thanks for your reply - I have come from using snag it- cantasia for all of my captures and when I say freehand what I mean is I draw (with the mouse) a rectangular area of any section of the window I want to capture - rather than have to set up defined areas to capture

And Yes sometime I just want to capture something and make then it smaller to fit some text about or below it in captivate

Thanks

Vicki

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

OK.  Then the answer is Yes to both questions.  You can define an area of the screen to capture, as long as it's a rectangle shape.  You can also import a SnagIt captured image into Captivate (I do this all the time) and resize it as needed, though I usually find that capturing and displaing at 100% is the best option if you want to maintain the clarity of the image.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks again - I cannot find where I can set to just draw the area I want to capture - I don't want to have to define x times y everytime I want to take a quick capture of a part of a window

Vicki

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

If you already have a Captivate project open, it will only allow you to capture additional screens at the same screen dimension as that project.  So to capture screens at a different size you will need to start a new capture project by File > Record New Project.  Then choose Screen Area and set the Custom Size for the dimensions of the rectangle. You can drag the red recording area anywhere on screen to select the area you want to capture.

Remember that Captivate is designed to capture sequences of images. It's going to work like SnagIt which is more for single images.

Once you HAVE captured some screens with Captivate at a given size, bringing them into another Captivate project which is a different size is problematic.  Trying to get one Captivate movie running inside another Captivate movie causes all kinds of issues.

However, you can easily copy bacground images from one Captivate project and insert them into another one as images.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Resources
Help resources