Exit

Problem with latest Security Update

Explorer ,
Sep 04, 2011 Sep 04, 2011

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

RoboHelp HTML version 9.0.1.232

Windows 7

I have just noticed that the Search function on my WebHelp output was no longer working. When I selected the Search button on my WebHelp file the search bar worked normally but when it reached 100% no results were shown and an error message appeared in the browser status bar. Clicking on the error message gave the result:

"Object Expected

whfhost.js                                        Line 2773

Code: 0                                            Char 5"

I realised that the only recent change I had made to RoboHelp was the latest security update that changed the whutils.js files. I reverted these files back to the originals and the search function now operates normally.

Just for information!

Chris M

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Sep 04, 2011 Sep 04, 2011

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Try again and check that you install the correct file in the correct location. I had to apply it to a number of machine and I goofed on one. Pretty sure that what alerted me to it was what you describe.

See www.grainge.org for RoboHelp and Authoring tips

@petergrainge

Help others by clicking Correct Answer if the question is answered. Found the answer elsewhere? Share it here. "Upvote" is for useful posts.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Oct 28, 2011 Oct 28, 2011

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I'm seeing this exact same error for our WebHelp output as well. Is there any update on how to fix this? Peter, can you clarify what you mean by "check that you install the correct file in the correct location"? Are you talking about installing the RoboHelp security update that caused this issue, or are you talking about the WebHelp output files?

If reverting back to whutils.js is the only option, could you provide a little more information in what all that entails? Obviously I'd still like to avoid this workaround if at all possible, because it probably means I would have to avoid RoboHelp updates until this was solved.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Oct 28, 2011 Oct 28, 2011

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

The fix has to be done manually if you're running 9.0.1.232 (9.0.1.262 already has it included - I believe that's the TCS3.5 version). Follow the instructions from the bulletin - http://www.adobe.com/support/security/bulletins/apsb11-23.html

It's a little tricky because there are lots of copies of whutils.js files running around your machine. Always rename the version of the file you're going to replace; that way you can always revert to the older version by deleting the new one & renaming the backup.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Oct 30, 2011 Oct 30, 2011

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

The patch involves copy two files to two locations. If you put the wrong file in the wrong location, the fix will not work.

See www.grainge.org for RoboHelp and Authoring tips

@petergrainge

Help others by clicking Correct Answer if the question is answered. Found the answer elsewhere? Share it here. "Upvote" is for useful posts.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Oct 31, 2011 Oct 31, 2011

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Sorry but I'm a bit confused here, there are two issues here, the security hole and the broken search functionality.

So the bulletin provides updates to the whutils.js file, which is supposed to fix the security hole. However, as Chris M notes in his original post, it seems that it was this security update that actually broke the search functionality, and he mentions "reverting back" from this security update to get the search working again. So to me it sounds like having the security update, and having search functionality that works are mutually exclusive. The security bulletin doesn't mention anything about fixing the search issue.

Or am I missing something here, is there a way to apply the security update, and also fix the search issue originally explained by Chris M?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Oct 31, 2011 Oct 31, 2011

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

The search issue was generated by him messing up the application of the security fix. Once he restored his original whutils.js files, search worked again. If you're careful in applying the security fix, you don't get any problems with search.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Resources
RoboHelp Documentation
Download Adobe RoboHelp