• EspaƱol
      • FranƧais
      • PortuguĆŖs
  • ę—„ęœ¬čŖžć‚³ćƒŸćƒ„ćƒ‹ćƒ†ć‚£
    Dedicated community for Japanese speakers
  • ķ•œźµ­ ģ»¤ė®¤ė‹ˆķ‹°
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Your disk copy of image was changed since last opened or saved (Mac OS)

Explorer ,
Mar 11, 2011 Mar 11, 2011

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I am  occasionally getting a message that "the disk copy of image  was changed since the file was last opened or saved". The OS is 10.6.6 and I am using CS5. It happens on no specific file. All of my files are pretty big. The current one that this is happening on is a psb that is 3.26 G unflattened. I have from  ignorance always ignored the message and saved anyway. I have never detected any damage or discernible changes to the files after ignoring the warning, but after searching Adobe forum and reading a thread about this happening in CS4, I guess I should be more cautious and do a save as and change the file name. I started this thread because no one has reported the issue happening in CS5.

The files were all given to me by ftp as either psd, tiff or camera raw files.  I work on duplicates of the originals in no other program but photoshop and opened and closed the files a few times before getting the message about the disk copy being changed. All of my files are saved to an internal harddrive and  backed up on a time capsule device. I am on a network, but am the sole user of the network. The files are  worked on and saved to an internal hard drive on the same computer. They are never opened on another computer which is usually turned off. I am running no virus protection software except what ever is native to the OS. The only other applications I am running when getting this message are safari, mail and sometimes bridge.

Why am I getting this message and what is causing changes (that I can't detect) to the disk copy?

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

The mesage means what it says:  something outside of Photoshop has modified your file on disk since the time that Photoshop saved the file.

We don't know what might be changing them -- just that the OS returns a different modification time for the file than what it was when Photoshop saved the file.

Votes

Translate

Translate
Adobe
replies 225 Replies 225

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

The mesage means what it says:  something outside of Photoshop has modified your file on disk since the time that Photoshop saved the file.

We don't know what might be changing them -- just that the OS returns a different modification time for the file than what it was when Photoshop saved the file.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Just want to let you know that I have been receiving this message lately, also. I'm in CS4 on an Intel iMac. I've been ignoring it, too :~:

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

If I don't save the changes after getting this message will the file revert back to being unmodified and as it was the last time I saved the changes? Should I do a "save as" when I get this message to prevent possible damage to the file? Thanks.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

First you need to figure out what is changing the file outside of Photoshop....

Without knowing what sort of changes are being made, I have no idea if you should load the new file, save over it, or what.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I called apple tech support and they had me send a system profile report. They didn't detect anything unusual in the report. They then had me  check my start up items in the library. Something called ProTec6 was there which they had me drag to the desktop. Don't really know what it is as I never intentionally installed it. Maybe this was causing the problem. I will test photoshop and see whether the issue reoccurs.

Googling Protec6, one person wrote on some forum that  "it seems to be "a Unix service installed by Viveza 2 that starts on machine boot and talks to the Nalpeiron server (a copy protection companyhttp://www.nalpeiron.com) to control on a continous basis your "licensing status" vis-Ć -vis Protec6 copy protected applications (Nik Software, Alien Skin and some others)."

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
May 14, 2011 May 14, 2011

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I just wanted to chime in that I have the same problem.  It seems to only happen if there is a significant delay between the current time and the last time it was saved.  I know that there is nothing on my computer modifying my photoshop files, except Photoshop.  I do have Spotlight enabled, but I don't think Spotlight modifies files.

10.6.7, Photoshop 12.0.4 x64

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Well, something on your computer outside of Photoshop is changing the time/date stamp on the file or the size of the file after Photoshop last opened or saved the file.

Since most people don't have this problem, I'd look for a haxie or system utility that might be messing with files, or with the Finder.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I don't notice it only happening when there is a significant delay between opening and saving. It doesn't seem to follow any pattern with me. The issue has been going on now for several months now. I have been sending Apple capture reports whenever it happens and Apple engineering is studying it. So far they have detected nothing unusual in the reports.

I have ruled out that the issue is being caused by Time Machine as it happened even when Time Machine was disabled in system preferences. The only apps that I am running are mail, safari, preview, word. Occasionally I am running Fetch, Transmit and Dropbox. Dropbox has also been ruled out as a culprit as that was disabled for a while and the incident still occurred.

It seems like I am the only person who has contacted Apple about this and the person who is handling my case said that she wished that others who were experiencing the problem would contact Apple so they had more data to work with. Apple doesn't seem very familiar with this specific issue.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Most other people are not seeing this.

And I've got TimeMachine running on my office and home systems, plus DropBox, and am not seeing it.

So, I would suspect something else -- but it is possible that this is caused by a bug in something common (Finder, SpotLight, etc.) that only triggers on some systems.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
May 15, 2011 May 15, 2011

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Chris, where would one locate haxies on the hard drive? Also if I post a list of all my apps and utilities, do you think you could tell me to which ones might be suspect and that I should disable for testing purposes? Thanks.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I don't know what to suspect.

What have you installed on your system beyond the OS and Photoshop?

Most haxies are located in ~/Library/Contextual Menu Items/

or ~/Library/Internet Plug-Ins/

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

applications installed.jpgThank you, Chris. The attached screenshot is of all my applications. When I checked in Library, I did not find a folder for Contextual Menu Items. There was a folder for internet plugins, but that folder was empty. Any ideas?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Other than Dropbox and the OS, I don't see anything obvious.

But, again, there is something different about your system from most other people's systems.  You need to figure out what that is.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
May 16, 2011 May 16, 2011

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thank you Chris for your response.

I am really at a loss as to how to figure out what is different about my system from other people's OS or how it got to be that way. Do you have any guidance on how to figure out what is different about my system? As Apple engineering has been unable to figure this out from the capture reports, I guess I am going to have to do a clean erase and install of the OS if I want this issue to go away.

It seemed like you have ruled out haxies as nothing shows up in contextual menus or internet plugins.You don't suspect them any more?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
May 16, 2011 May 16, 2011

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Haxies: I just don't know where else they might be installed.  But there are so many places you can add system libraries and utilities, I'm not sure what to tell you to look for.

Almost any utility, driver, or other application might be involved in some way.

All we know is that something on your system is modifying the file time/date stamp after Photoshop opened or saved the file.  And we know that whatever the cause is, it is not present on most other users' systems.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Engaged ,
May 17, 2011 May 17, 2011

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

>and sometimes bridge.

since bridge will change the modification date when adding stars or labels to a file, and these are larger PSB files.... is there any chance that there's a delay in writing the metadata within Bridge that causes the file to be out of sync within PS?

I really don't have a clue........it's just a thought

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
May 17, 2011 May 17, 2011

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Well, I use bridge occasionally to locate a file, but usually it is closed. I have never added stars or labels in Bridge.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
May 19, 2011 May 19, 2011

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi.

I just started to have exact same problem.

Upgraded a Mac Pro from Leopard to SNow Leopard and then Adobe Suite CS5 to CS5.5 and now my Photoshop CS5 keeps

giving me this damn error everytime i work on a image

The image is not located on the main drive, i work on a 3 person network and it have been working just fine for over 5 years now.

Just after the Snow leo and Suite CS5.5 upgrade the thing started.

What to do next ? I have nothing running accept for some Nik and OnOne photoshop plugins. Thats it. No extra app ad-ons or

programs what modifies anything. One thing to add here is. It only happen when working over network. Not on the local disk.

And the computer where the files are located are identical so no haxial or anything running there aswell.

btw i changed the photoshop settings to "Auto update open documents" and now i dont see it anymore but now i'm afraid editing i do

on the pictures is not added after i close the picture.

I remember back in time when this message came

"the disk copy of xxx.tif was changed since you last opened or saved it"

that all the stuff i had done on the picture was gone when reopen the image

Anyone know if it is safe to use the "auto update open documents" ?

Mugge

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
May 23, 2011 May 23, 2011

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi again.

Nope. It was not because of Spotlight sadly.

I still have the problem everythime i don't safe the image more than 5 min. If i save, save and save, it dosent happen.

But if i wait 5-10 min before. It does it. This sucks because it makes the work take longer and as i said earlyer.

Sometimes the work you did is not saved to the image

We need to find out what this is. If its only with Mac OS X 10.6.6 or with any Mac OS X build ?

P.s i now see its not only a 10.6.6 problem. One user are on 10.6.7..Damn
I have checked all over and we never installed any small apps/haxie or anything that runs that can change the files.
And it is on 3 Mac pro computers all with Photoshop CS5 and 10.6.6 ????

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I had it in 10.6.6 and also  with 10.6.7. I think I had it before 10.6.6 as well. I recently cleared the preferences in photoshop and the issue is not happening now, but I suspect that this is just a coincidence and that the issue will start happening soon again.

If you are still under a protection plan you might want to contact Apple. If you contact them tell them that  you need tier two technical support as level one will be clueless and they are probably going to want you to send capture reports.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi caligula1

Please tell me exactly how you cleared your preffrenses ? if you did it manually or the Adobe way.

I think there is a keyboard combination there clears everything ?

But please let me know what you did and i will try it too

Thx

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

You can clear photoshop's preferences and restore them to their defaults by restarting photoshop and immediately holding down the command + option + shift keys while photoshop is starting up. You will get a message asking if you want to delete the preferences if you did it successfully. It may take several tries as it is a little tricky.

But don't bother resetting the preferences. It didn't solve the problem and I started getting the message about the disk copy being changed again after I reset the preferences.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
May 24, 2011 May 24, 2011

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Really, damn

I wonder what it can be. I'm 100% sure its nothing running in the background changing the files in my workflow.

I checked everything and its funny because it is the same on 3 Mac Pro here ???

So it must be a bug some where in Adobe's files/apps/etc

Some combination of files, setup or what ever making the error come up.

I never had it before i upgraded to 10.6.x Before all Mac Pro was running 10.5.8 with PS CS4 and it worked alright.

Then i upgraded all our Mac's to the latest to get the 64bit feature and PS CS5 and even the newer CS5.5

And then it started and its also with the newest PS from CS5.5

First i thought i found the problem because i saw a post at Extensis forum about the Suitcase FM core and Fontsense

extension for Photoshop and i deleted the extension from photoshop plugin folder and i was happy at first but then again.

It came back after a wile.. Sucks. Not that.

I wonder if its really because PS thinks the image was changed. I know it suppose to be that way but in our situation it is

something else. A bug ofcause and i have been trying to figure this out the last 3 days and even yesterday i used 7 hours

in a row to find a solution but i never found it.

I really hope we can find a way other than reinstalling Mac OS X and Photoshop. I do think if we formatted the drive and

started all over it would help but i don't want to do that because it will take me for ever to set up from scratch, yarggg

What do you think ? Do you have any idea whats so ever what could course this ? any ideas

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
May 24, 2011 May 24, 2011

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

And yet the vast majority of other users don't see this problem.  And in theory, this problem can only happen due to external applications, or a bug in the OS.

So my guess is that it is something you have installed or changed on your systems.

Have you tried completely removing the Extensis font software (not just the plugin)?  Extensis has already said that their software modifies PSD files after they are saved (yes, lame, I know).

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines