• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

A Proper Monitoring Solution

LEGEND ,
Sep 07, 2011 Sep 07, 2011

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

If you are frustrated by the current state of PP's monitoring capabilities, I encourage you to Copy/Paste the following into the Feature Request Form.  Let's all band together and finally get this much needed feature DONE!

https://www.adobe.com/cfusion/mmform/index.cfm?name=wishform

Any professional will tell you that an NLE needs an outside monitoring solution - for proper interlaced viewing, for color corrections, etc.  Premiere Pro has in the past handled this job by passing it off to third parties like Matrox, AJA and Black Magic.  But all of those solutions have their own issues and limitations (not to mention additional costs), and their time is at an end.  The modern day graphics cards already installed in many NLE workstations are more than capable of stepping into the role.  It's way past time Premiere Pro had a proper monitoring solution, without third party hardware or codecs.  Here is what is needed and wanted:

1. Any graphics card with appropriate capabilities should work.

2. Premiere Pro (and After Effects, Photoshop, Encore) need to tap directly into the video port on that graphics card, be it composite, component, S-video or HDMI.

3. There is to be NO cloning or extending of the desktop.  If Adobe apps are closed, nothing is sent out of the port.

4. For the Thumbnail and Source monitor, a signal matching the clip is to be sent to the video port on the card without alteration.  Ports that cannot handle such a signal will get black.  (i.e. Sending an HD signal to a composite port.)

5. For the Program Monitor, a signal matching the Sequence Properties (resolution, frame rate, field order, PAR, etc.) must be sent to the video port on the card.  All scaling, deinterlacing, frame blending, pulldown insertion, etc. required to conform the footage in the sequence to the sequence settings must be done before sending the signal to the port, so that only a signal matching the sequence is output by the card, regardless of what's actually in the sequence.

Items 4 and 5 define what is  "proper monitoring", and all third party cards should be doing this  now.  (If they're not, Adobe needs to jump on them to get it right.)   Items 1 through 3 define the new feature we want and need from Adobe and  Premiere Pro.

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I'd also like to encourage anyone making this feature request to post about it here.  Let's keep this thread active and near the top so more and more people will see it.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
People's Champ ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Uh, oh... an error message in the form:

Issue description can not exceed 2000 characters!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Jim's whole post was under 400 wrods; what the heck did you ask for?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
People's Champ ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Maybe a jive error?

I have tried five times to copy and paste the original post from:

"Any professional..."

through

"Thank you for reading."

I keep getting the error.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I copied the same part except for the "thank you for reading." Form took it with no problem.

Try pasting what you are doing into notepad and see if there is anything extra being copied.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Delete the text that is already in the box before pasting.

If still no go, then delete the last "Thank You" sentence.

If still no go, the process adds extra lines than can be deleted.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
People's Champ ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks for the succinct post on this lingering deficiency.

With the inclusion of SDI out, it's perfect for me.

If you are frustrated by the current state of PP's monitoring capabilities, I encourage you to Copy/Paste the following into the Feature Request Form.  Let's all band together and finally get this much needed feature DONE!

https://www.adobe.com/cfusion/mmform/index.cfm?name=wishform

Any professional will tell you that an NLE needs an outside monitoring solution - for proper interlaced viewing, for color corrections, etc.  Premiere Pro has in the past handled this job by passing it off to third parties like Matrox, AJA and Black Magic.  But all of those solutions have their own issues and limitations (not to mention additional costs), and their time is at an end.  The modern day graphics cards already installed in many NLE workstations are more than capable of stepping into the role.  It's way past time Premiere Pro had a proper monitoring solution, without third party hardware or codecs.  Here is what is needed and wanted:

2. Premiere Pro (and After Effects, Photoshop, Encore) need to tap directly into the video port on that graphics card, be it composite, component, S-video, SDI or HDMI.

3. There is to be NO cloning or extending of the desktop.  If Adobe apps are closed, nothing is sent out of the port.

4. For the Thumbnail and Source monitor, a signal matching the clip is to be sent to the video port on the card without alteration.  Ports that cannot handle such a signal will get black.  (i.e. Sending an HD signal to a composite port.)

5. For the Program Monitor, a signal matching the Sequence Properties (resolution, frame rate, field order, PAR, etc.) must be sent to the video port on the card.  All scaling, deinterlacing, frame blending, pulldown insertion, etc. required to conform the footage in the sequence to the sequence settings must be done before sending the signal to the port, so that only a signal matching the sequence is output by the card, regardless of what's actually in the sequence.

Items 4 and 5 define what is  "proper monitoring", and all third party cards should be doing this  now.  (If they're not, Adobe needs to jump on them to get it right.)   Items 1 through 3 define the new feature we want and need from Adobe and  Premiere Pro.

Thank you for reading.

Feature Request

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

With the inclusion of SDI out, it's perfect for me.

Does nVidia or ATI make a graphics card with SDI?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Advocate ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Pc only. I beleive part of a 3 card solution.

http://www.nvidia.com/object/product_quadro_sdi_output_us.html

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Guide ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Include me in!  Feature request submitted.

...ensuring that 1080p 25 is supported  - which it is currently not via a BM Intensity series of cards.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,
Sep 08, 2011 Sep 08, 2011

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

PC only.

I'm OK with that.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
People's Champ ,
Sep 09, 2011 Sep 09, 2011

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Everyone who is interested in a proper monitoring solution

for Premiere should copy and paste this feature request.

Any professional will tell you that an NLE needs an outside monitoring
solution - for proper interlaced viewing, for color corrections, etc.
Premiere Pro has in the past handled this job by passing it off to
third parties like Matrox, AJA and Black Magic.  But all of those
solutions have their own issues and limitations (not to mention
additional costs), and their time is at an end.  The modern day
graphics cards already installed in many NLE workstations are
more than capable of stepping into the role.  It's way past time
Premiere Pro had a proper monitoring solution, without
third party hardware or codecs.  Here is what is needed and wanted:

2. Premiere Pro (and After Effects, Photoshop, Encore) need to tap
directly into the video port on that graphics card, be it composite,
component, S-video, SDI or HDMI.

3. There is to be NO cloning or extending of the desktop.
If Adobe apps are closed, nothing is sent out of the port.

4. For the Thumbnail and Source monitor, a signal matching the
clip is to be sent to the video port on the card without alteration.
Ports that cannot handle such a signal will get black.
(i.e. Sending an HD signal to a composite port.)

5. For the Program Monitor, a signal matching the Sequence Properties
(resolution, frame rate, field order, PAR, etc.) must be sent to the video
port on the card.  All scaling, deinterlacing, frame blending,
pulldown insertion, etc. required to conform the footage in the
sequence to the sequence settings must be done before sending
the signal to the port, so that only a signal matching the sequence
is output by the card, regardless of what's actually in the sequence.

Items 4 and 5 define what is  "proper monitoring", and all third party
cards should be doing this  now.  (If they're not, Adobe needs to jump
on them to get it right.)   Items 1 through 3 define the new feature
we want and need from Adobe and  Premiere Pro.

Feature Request

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

+1 for this reason:

http://forums.adobe.com/thread/882562?tstart=0

Just tried and failed with the >2000 characters message - maybe if we keep this thread alive maybe somebody from Adobe might pop over to comment but I'm in agreement with all of this - after getting my fingers really burnt with Matrox hardware I want to keep third party hardware out unless there is a *really* good reason not to.

Silly thing is the feature as it stands so *nearly* works as it is.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Advocate ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Sacha, just delete the thank you line at the bottom and it will be accepted. I had the same problem.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

It's too bad I can't edit the original post to remove that.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

> It's too bad I can't edit the original post to remove that.

I just edited it for you.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I just edited it for you.

Awesome, Todd.  Thanks.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
People's Champ ,
Sep 12, 2011 Sep 12, 2011

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I have been able to successfully copy and paste the feature request from
the original post without any error by scrolling up in the submission form
window and removing all of the empty lines.

Feature Request

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,
Sep 15, 2011 Sep 15, 2011

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks for the tip, Joe.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Kind of interesting...

"AMD unveiled AMD FirePro SDI-Link to address the market for real-time,  GPU-accelerated post production and broadcast pipelines requiring Serial  Digital Interface (SDI) input and output."

http://www.cdrinfo.com/Sections/News/Details.aspx?NewsId=31105

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

5. For the Program Monitor, a signal matching the Sequence Properties (resolution, frame rate, field order, PAR, etc.) must be sent to the video port on the card.  All scaling, deinterlacing, frame blending, pulldown insertion, etc

Thank goodness for third party monitoring solutions, because PPro is the last app i'd count on for any of this...

Problem is, that there's so many different outputs, formats, and reasons for monitoring, that by the time these are factored into a video card, you'll be paying just as much as an AJA, Blackmagic, Matrox etc.....

Plus, if you're ingesting different formats, many people prefer to use a universal captureconvert codec for their hardware exports.

Here's an interesting read..
I'm not telling you what you already don't know, but workflows vary for everybody.....

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

PPro is the last app i'd count on for any of this...

Why?  It's doing it now for export.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Sep 10, 2011 Sep 10, 2011

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

PPro is the last app i'd count on for any of this...

Why?  It's doing it now for export.

Yes it is....But i find PPro deinterlacing and resizing interlaced footage the most overlooked export feature.

Third party hardware solutions usually fix this..

In fact, i found PPro's fix for this quite insulting...A flyout on the right hand side? Really?

Actually, i should be blaming AME for this, but PPro's deinterlacing options are basic at best.

Seriously, to do a properly scale out interlaced footage would require a proper plugin or separate dialogue box altogether...

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,
Sep 10, 2011 Sep 10, 2011

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

What version are you using Pijetro?  I believe many of your concerns have been resolved in 5.5.

And the point of having those items in my list was to ensure that any issues that still need addressing are addressed with the implementation of the new monitoring feature.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines