• Español
      • Français
      • Português
  • 日本語コミュニティ
    Dedicated community for Japanese speakers
  • 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

How do you edit-in a "stop" into a screen recording and then insert a "button" to link to a document

New Here ,
Aug 18, 2011 Aug 18, 2011

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Ok, so I am working on my first Captivate project.  So far so good (mostly).  I want to interupt a screen capture recording that I now have.  Currently, it captures a pdf screen and an audio narration.  I want to have a button appear at a certain time within the recording were the user can click it and be taken to another pdf document in which the user will have to read the document and take a quiz on the content.  This action of clicking the button will stop the recorded screen narration and allow unlimited time to read the linked document and complete the quiz.  Upon completing the quiz, the user will click the continue button and be returned to the screen capture recording where they left off.  Sooooooo........How do I do this??????????

Will I have to split the screen capture recording into two slides in order to make it stop when the button appears?

Will I have to, or can I, insert a branching slide function at any point in my screen capture recording?

Is it best to connect the button directly to the pdf file or to a url on my intranet?

All help will be much appreciated!

Thanks,

John

TOPICS
Getting started

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hello,

How did you capture? Hope you did not choose FMR (Full Motion Recording), but Automatic?

Lilybiri

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I did use "full motion" capture.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Too bad, you should know that full motion is mostly not the best choice in Captivate, because not only the filesize is much larger, but editing is a lot more difficult than with the, for CP, more natural capturing mode Automatic (or Custom) where static slides are produced whenever possible and only will be reverted to FMR when necessary.

Between the editing possibilities for FMR you have splitting, which could help you.

Or else, try to view the FMR by using Preview slide (F3 or the play icon on the Timeline, or space bar). Pause on the place where you want to have a pausing. The playhead in CP5.5 will remain on that frame, you can see at which second it is placed. Now insert a button, that will be placed with the start of its timeline at the position of the playhead. If this is really the place where you want to pause, you have to change the timing of that button so that the pausing point is exactly at that place. You can move the button timeline with the mouse, or perhaps better by using shortcut keys: arrow keys (left/right) will move 0,1sec in that direction, CTRL-arrow 1 sec. You can check, edit ths Pause at also in the Timing accordion of the Properties panel of the button.

You will have to insert as action for that button Open URL or File.

Lilybiri

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Participant ,
Sep 08, 2011 Sep 08, 2011

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

I use the FMR "Split" option, and make a still image of the "stop screen", with a button linked inside. Either that, or you can time the button to appear at a certain point in the movie and give the user access to the play controls. The second approach is a little hairy, but adds some technical-looking spiff and an air of intentionality....instructionally, the user will feel more compelled to keep an eye out for interactive moments in a way they aren't used to, but should get used to. Youtube is already flying that car.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Resources
Help resources