The Flash Player installer generates multiple log files that can provide crucial troubleshooting clues when you are unable to install. The following FAQ describes how to locate these log files so that you can provide this information to Adobe when requested. Please read through the entire FAQ before proceeding.
On Windows, the file "FlashInstall.log" can be located in the following folder, depending on the type of operating system.
32 Bit Windows:
64 Bit Windows:
This file can be opened with any text editor (Notepad works great.) When troubleshooting an installation problem, please copy / paste the contents of at least the last log entry to your post.
Adobe_ADM log files
Two files, Adobe_ADM.log and Adobe_GDE.log are generated by the online installer. The files are located at the following location:
- Vista and above: C:\Users\<YourUserID>\AppData\Local\Temp\Adobe_ADMLogs
- XP: C:\Documents and Settings\<YourUserID>\Local Settings\Temp\Adobe_ADMLogs
Enable Verbose Logging
At times we may require detailed debugging information from the online installer logs. When requested do the following:
- Create an empty text file named ADM.trace inside your %temp% directory. The file extension itself is .trace, not .txt or anything else.
- Vista and above: C:\Users\<YourUserID>\AppData\Local\Temp\
- XP: C:\Documents and Settings\<YourUserID>\Local Settings\Temp\
- To create the empty text file, navigate to the %temp% directory, right-click in an empty area and select New > Text Document
- Rename the new file to ADM.trace
- Note: make sure file extensions are visible so that the extension is .trace and not .txt. See Show or hide file name extensions - Windows Help
Uploading Log Files
Once you have secured all of the log files, you can compress them and then upload the single file using the instructions here:
Finally, post the link to the uploaded file into your forum post.
Message was edited by: Maria Vargas Added information to obtain the Adobe_ADMLogs