Dedicated community for Japanese speakers
  • 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Opening HTML help in Chrome

Sep 08, 2011 Sep 08, 2011

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I was told by Adope that RH9-generated HTML help is fully compatible with Google's Chrome browser, yet people internally are not able to open my latest help files in Chrome. Anyone had problems with Chrome that they were able to fix?

Thanks,

Jim

TOPICS
Classic

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

Community Expert , Sep 08, 2011 Sep 08, 2011

As long as you mean webhelp when you say HTML Help, it is compatible with Chrome. The issue is that it will only work in Chrome provided it is on a webserver rather than being installed on a local drive. Webhelp is intended to be on a webserver so that is not unreasonable.

You can make webhelp work locally in a way that may be acceptable internally. That will be a matter for your IT people to rule on. See Snippets on my site. Obviously as you are by-passing what Google believes is security protec

Votes

Translate

Translate
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

As long as you mean webhelp when you say HTML Help, it is compatible with Chrome. The issue is that it will only work in Chrome provided it is on a webserver rather than being installed on a local drive. Webhelp is intended to be on a webserver so that is not unreasonable.

You can make webhelp work locally in a way that may be acceptable internally. That will be a matter for your IT people to rule on. See Snippets on my site. Obviously as you are by-passing what Google believes is security protection, it is at your own risk.

See www.grainge.org for RoboHelp and Authoring tips

@petergrainge

Help others by clicking Correct Answer if the question is answered. Found the answer elsewhere? Share it here. "Upvote" is for useful posts.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks, Peter.That is probably the problem. When I switched to RH9, I had people test a version I put on a local drive.

And yes, I do mean WebHelp.

Thanks again,

Jim

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

This is a .chm file, right? Probably depends where it's located. You may have to have Chrome users set their shortcuts to launch Chrome with the "-allow local file access" command line turned on (same as with WebHelp). Chrome did a "security" upgrade last year that knocked out all local html pages.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Jeff, sorry I wasn't clearer. It is a WebHelpOnline file, not .chm. Peter provided an answer that is probably right. I need to test it on a web server.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Resources
RoboHelp Documentation
Download Adobe RoboHelp