• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Keyboard shortcut for Insert Page Break

Community Beginner ,
Sep 09, 2011 Sep 09, 2011

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

To Peter Spier and Jongware, thank you very much for your help on that stubborn text frame.  I never did figure out exactly what I was doing wrong, so I ended up deleting and re-creating them, and had better luck doing that.

Anyway, my next newbie question is:  What is the keyboard shortcut for page break?  I see on the drop down menu that is is Command- something (I'm on a Mac), but I don't recognize the icon in the menu for the second key.  What the heck is that? 

Some websites said it was Command-Enter, but that didn't work.

Thanks!

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

Community Expert , Sep 09, 2011 Sep 09, 2011

I'm guessing you're on a Mac laptop where there is no dedicated Enter key.

In that case, it's Command + Fn + Return.

Fn + Return gives you the Enter key (shown above the Return key on the keyboard).

Votes

Translate

Translate
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I'm guessing you're on a Mac laptop where there is no dedicated Enter key.

In that case, it's Command + Fn + Return.

Fn + Return gives you the Enter key (shown above the Return key on the keyboard).

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I bought my Mac and asked specifically for the extended keyboard. More keys = more fun!

In case this Fn stuff is no Fn for you: you can always assign just about any key combo to just about any function

• , through the Keyboard Shortcut Editor in the Edit menu.
  • Well, any function apart from the glaring omission of Paragraph, Character, Table, Cell, and Object styles. For those you have to stick to the preciously few combinations you can make with Control, Command, Shift, and Alt (16 possible iterations) and the numeric keypad. Which you don't have, if you have a MacBook, so I guess it won't be a problem anyway.
  • Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
    community guidelines
    Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Now I understand!

All these years I thought enter and return were two names for the same thing.

Thanks, Steve!

But how is someone supposed to know what those keyboard icons mean?  My Command key is the only one that has the icon on it, that four leaf clover thing.

Thanks again, this is a great support community!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
    community guidelines
    Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Heh heh -- I have the bigger keyboard and so there is enough room on the keys for all of these little icons! (They are nothing special either. All Mac software refer to them in the same way.)

These symbols come courtesy of the font "Apple Symbol":

Screen shot 2011-09-09 at 11.38.57 PM.png

(This font sports some pretty weird characters! Anyone ever needed a glyph for the Aegean number one thousand?)

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
    community guidelines
    Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

[Jongware] wrote:

Heh heh -- I have the bigger keyboard and so there is enough room on the keys for all of these little icons! (They are nothing special either. All Mac software refer to them in the same way.)

These symbols come courtesy of the font "Apple Symbol":

Screen shot 2011-09-09 at 11.38.57 PM.png

(This font sports some pretty weird characters! Anyone ever needed a glyph for the Aegean number one thousand?)

My guess for the last line (in Windows equivalence) would be Home, End, Page Up, Page Down and I have no idea what...

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
    community guidelines
    Community Expert ,
    Sep 10, 2011 Sep 10, 2011

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Peter, for some reason the Mac doesn't sport the same set of movement keys as Windows keyboards do. The little six-pack above the arrows is

[fn] [uh -- home?] [page up -- fairly sure]

[delete] [end?] [page down, surely?]

Home and End don't quite work the same I'm used to

As for the crossed-out rectangle, it's in the position every other keyboard in the world has a Num Lock indication, but this one seems to be doing nuffin'.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
    community guidelines
    Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Well, it HAS been a while since I sat in front of a Mac keyboard.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
    community guidelines
    Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Here's a link to a Mac keyboard symbols legend:

http://www.danrodney.com/mac/

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
    community guidelines
    Community Beginner ,
    Sep 11, 2011 Sep 11, 2011

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Wow, great info, thanks, Steve!

I wish that came in the box w every mac.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
    community guidelines
    Explorer ,
    Feb 04, 2012 Feb 04, 2012

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thank you, Steve! That "enter" symbol was driving me crazy. I could not find anything that showed what it meant. It wouldn't kill Adobe to include some sort of legend with the software.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
    community guidelines
    New Here ,
    May 04, 2020 May 04, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

I found the function key on MAC AIR -!!! I have never needed it before ( only 7 years)

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
    community guidelines