Dedicated community for Japanese speakers
  • 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Registration PopUp Window Won't Go Away

Dec 23, 2010 Dec 23, 2010

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I got no help with this calling support, and no help doing the 'Chat Live', so hopefully there's ppl here who might be able to help.

I have Photoshop CS2 v9 for Windows.  It used to be on a Windows XP computer, but that computer died a few months ago.  I now have a new computer with Windows 7 Ultimate, 64 bit.

I installed my Photoshop CS2 v9 on the new computer, and the registration window popped up.  I click 'don't register' because I had already registered it on my old computer.  But every time I opened PS, the Registration window opened.  I finally just decided I would go ahead and go through the registration process again just to get rid of the window.

Now, every time I open PS, I am still getting the 'Register' window.  I chatted with an online support person who referred me to tech support.  I called tech support and they were no help either.  Tech support said it's not an activate or re-activate situation because the software works fine.

The online chat guy said there was a file somewhere on the computer I could open in a text editor and change regisration to "never" and it would stop.  But my computer has no such file.

Is there any way to make the window quit opening?  The software is registered and needs no further activation, so what is the problem?

Thanks.

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Adobe

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

sapat0827 wrote:

The online chat guy said there was a file somewhere on the computer I could open in a text editor and change regisration to "never" and it would stop.  But my computer has no such file.

There is such a file, and it has been posted, but can't remember how to get there.

What you are seeing is a permissions issue.

Right click on the PS icon and choose "run as administrator".   Do the registration thing under this mode.  For many this works.

Hope this helps.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Just tried it and it didn't work.  Still getting the registration window.

Thanks.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Here is the reference I was refering to.  Hope THIS helps.

Well, dunno why nobody posted the right answer... It's simple. Edit the com.adobe.XYZ.registration files manually. Check C:\Users\Marty\AppData\Roaming\Adobe. Set the first line in the files to never and you shall have peace.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Dec 24, 2010 Dec 24, 2010

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Ok, that's weird.  I don't have any files with that name under that folder or any other folder.  I've run a search of my hard drive and no files match anything like that.

Should I try uninstalling and reinstalling?  I've already tried to re-register with no luck.  And I have to say....Adobe tech support was not helpful at all yesterday when I called them.

Ugh....

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

An uninstall and reinstall rarely solves any problems.  Would not suggest it in your case.

I should have read further down the thread for the quote I sent you.  It seems like this file only exists in Win OS Ultimate series.

Have you tried what Noel said - disabling the UAC?

Here is the complete thread on the resistration window that won't go away.

http://forums.adobe.com/thread/445258

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I have Windows 7 Ultimate (sorry, guess I didn't specify before).

I'll take a look at the link you sent.  Thanks so much.

sapat

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Try right clicking on the cs2 shortcut and choose run as administrator

and in cs2, click never register in the popup screen.

Close photoshop and restart your computer.

MTSTUNER

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Dec 25, 2010 Dec 25, 2010

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Well, I'm crossing my fingers that this is going to work.  The last 2 times I opened PS, I didn't get the registration window.

Thanks for all the help and tips.  I'll be back if the window pops up again. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

You can try temporarily disabling UAC entirely and running Photoshop.  That should fix the problem.

There is a difference between disabling UAC and "Run As Administrator".  Namely, writes to certain folders (e.g., those in the Program Files subfolders) are redirected by UAC to another place on the hard drive.  With UAC off it runs as it once did when there was no UAC.

-Noel

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Sep 09, 2011 Sep 09, 2011

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi,

I wonder if anyone has had luck with removing this issue - and not having to run "as administrator"?

It's annoying to not be able to just "turn on" Photoshop - instead having to see the screen flash and have to confirm run as admin.

- Between that, and Photoshop disabling the escape key (I found a script to compensate for it,but it's annoying) in other programs when it's running, it's proven to be a bother.

Thanks

David

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,
Sep 09, 2011 Sep 09, 2011

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Have you tried the following:

1.  Run Photoshop As Administrator once, then try running it without that setting.

2.  Disable UAC temporarily, run Photoshop once, then re-enable UAC and try running it.

FYI I installed Photoshop CS2 a few days ago as a test on an up-to-date Windows 7 x64 Ultimate system and had to do NONE of these things.  It just came up and ran properly, without any registration issues as described here.

What "disabling the escape key" are you talking about?

It really sounds as though you have system problems.

-Noel

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Sep 12, 2011 Sep 12, 2011

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Noel,

Thanks for the reply.

That did the trick - it's no longer popping up, thanks!

Now I just have to solve the "escape key disabled" issue, that I've been researching on the Adobe Forums.

(when PhotoShop CS2 is running, the escape key is disabled on all other programs.  example: open notepad, choose "file / open" and then if you decide "I'm not going to need notepad after all" you can't hit escape to close the open file dialog - you have to click to close it)

http://forums.adobe.com/thread/372523  - but that's another topic

Regarding this topic, I appreciate the quick response that you have provided - it's been very useful.

David

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

DavidOptrics wrote:

...It's annoying to not be able to just "turn on" Photoshop - instead having to see the screen flash and have to confirm run as admin...

Running CS2 as administrator only needs to be done once. That is all it should take to write the registration preferences. After that, you may run Photoshop CS2 normally.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Marian,

That's right - as I mentioned above, that fix Noel brought to light has worked wonderfully,

It's always such a good resource to be able to check in with experts like yourself and Noel.

I'll be sure to keep an eye on these forums for more tips!  : )

regards,

David

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Yes, mine finally went away too after I disable the UAC and did the 'run as administrator' thing.

I've been fine ever since.  Thank you.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines