Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

quickest way to create a similar project

Explorer ,
Sep 12, 2011 Sep 12, 2011

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I'm using RH

8 and I have many similar projects to create. I'll be replacing specific words, perhaps adding new pages here and there but my TOC will remain the same. Basically I just want to copy one project to create a new project and then replace specific words and minor changes for the new project. I want to do this the quickest way with little problems. The way I approached it was to create a blank project and import html topics from a previous project. Is there an easier way to do this? These are small projects so it's not that time consuming to do this way but in the future I may have much larger projects to deal with this way. Any ideas for quickest, best practice way of doing this?

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi there

In my own opinion, the fastest way would be to use Windows Explorer to copy the project folder. Then open the project in the new location and click File > Rename Project.

From there, you simply tweak it.

However, if it's just a few words here and there in topics, you might want to keep it all in a single project and use Variables along with Conditional Build Tags and Conditional Build Expressions to control what goes into the output.

Cheers... Rick

Helpful and Handy Links

RoboHelp Wish Form/Bug Reporting Form

Begin learning RoboHelp HTML 7, 8 or 9 within the day!

Adobe Certified RoboHelp HTML Training

SorcerStone Blog

RoboHelp eBooks

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Rick,

Following your first suggestion, this is what I did:

Opened project I want to copy.

Right click>Explore.

Select all, copy all.

File>Rename.

This is where I get lost. I still need the original project. If I rename

don't I lose the original project???

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hello again

Okay, I'll try again and type it slower.

When I advised to copy the project using Windows Explorer, I made an assumption. My bad. The assumption was that you would know that if you copy a project there are actually two operations. Copy the project and Paste it somewhere else. Sorry, I assumed you would know you needed to paste, THEN use RoboHelp to open the project from the new location and rename from there.

To rename, you do it from inside RoboHelp. So you first open the copied project, then from inside RoboHelp you click File > Rename Project.

Does that make better sense?

Cheers... Rick

Helpful and Handy Links

RoboHelp Wish Form/Bug Reporting Form

Begin learning RoboHelp HTML 7, 8 or 9 within the day!

Adobe Certified RoboHelp HTML Training

SorcerStone Blog

RoboHelp eBooks

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

okay that's helpful. I wondered where to paste the project copy.

So when I pasted I created a folder to put the files in, called Test Copy. Then I opened the fpj file within the Test Copy folder to open up RH. Then I went to Explore, tried to rename TEst Copy and I got an error message, saying the file was being used. Close the file and try again. Oh I'm confused.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Try this:

1. In Windows Explorer, find your project.

2. Copy & paste the entire project folder to another location on your C:\ drive. Call it whatever the new project is going be named.

3. Open the copied project's .xpj file - RH should launch.

4. Use the menu item (File > Rename Project) within RH to rename the project.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Use the menu item (File > Rename Project) within RH to rename the project.

don't you need to go to Explore first in order to get to the File > Rename Project menu?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Jeff has given you good instructions. If by following what Jeff has said you see the option he has described, why not try following what he has told you?

Earlier on you mentioned opening an FPJ file, I trust you meant XPJ as you should not be messing about with with FPJ files.

I'm struggling to even think how you could rename a project the way you are describing.

See www.grainge.org for RoboHelp and Authoring tips

@petergrainge

Help others by clicking Correct Answer if the question is answered. Found the answer elsewhere? Share it here. "Upvote" is for useful posts.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

got it. You do need to expand the File menu to have Rename Project pop up.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Resources
RoboHelp Documentation
Download Adobe RoboHelp