• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

CHM to Web Help

New Here ,
Aug 24, 2006 Aug 24, 2006

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I'm trying to convert 8 .CHM files to web help files but each time I compile the new web help it wipes out the pages from the other CHM's I've converted. I see in the compilation text "clearing output folder". Does this have to happen? Do I need to merge all my CHMs into one project, then compile to web help? I'm using robohelp X4.

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Valorous Hero ,
Aug 24, 2006 Aug 24, 2006

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi nfull

Each of your 8 .CHM files should be a separate project in different locations. Are you by chance trying to create one combined WebHelp project consisting of the content of the 8 .CHM files? This would seem to be the only logical explanation for RoboHelp erasing the content each time. If you are interested in merged WebHelp, take a look at fellow Adobe Community Expert Peter Grainge's topic. I've conveniently linked it below:

Click here to visit Peter's site

Cheers... Rick

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
New Here ,
Aug 25, 2006 Aug 25, 2006

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I followed the folder structure and am using webhelp (was previously using webhelp pro) and the files are not being overwritten any more. However, the search feature is not picking up files int eh "child" project. I reviewed Searching across multiple WebHelp files post, and it didn't seem to help me figure this out. I have the TOC showing the merged MPJ file. Is that not related to searching as well? How can I get it to pick up the pages in my child projects?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

quote:

I followed the folder structure and am using webhelp (was previously using webhelp pro) and the files are not being overwritten any more.

Do you mean the folder structure on my site? Also what files are you referring to when you talk about being overwritten. If you mean no files are being overwritten because you are publishing to a new location, well obviously they wouldn't be so that makes me question what is going where. Can you clarify that please?

I presume the content of the child project(s) is appearing?

What version of RH are you using? X3?

Help others by clicking Correct Answer if the question is answered. Found the answer elsewhere? Share it here. "Upvote" is for useful posts.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Using WebHelp out put, I followed the generate/publish folder structure and the files are not being cleared out like they were when I had the same folder structure but was using WebHelp Pro. I have my parent project that does have 2 pages viewable to the user. Under that is the merged folder that has 2 child projects (for now). How do I get the parent homepage/skin to search on the 2 child projects also?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

When you generate, RH always clears the folder to which you generate. When you publish it only does that if you select the Republish All box. You can manually delete the target.

When you view the merged output, can you see all the topics in all the projects?

I understand search isn't working but I need my questions answered to work towards solving that.

Help others by clicking Correct Answer if the question is answered. Found the answer elsewhere? Share it here. "Upvote" is for useful posts.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Yes all the links to the child projects, in the parent homepage and in the parent TOC work.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Aug 26, 2006 Aug 26, 2006

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

When you open the parent, do you see the child projects in the TOC as well?

If not, in the RH parent project TOC, did you create links to the child projects?

Have you downloaded my demo merged project to see if you can identify any differences?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Aug 28, 2006 Aug 28, 2006

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I am doing 3 things differently

1. I am not using MERGED TOCs b/c when I do, the contents pane is blank. When I use my own created TOC in the parent, the links are fine. They are linked dirrectly to the file in the Child.

2. I am generating to a network server. I am not publishing at all.

3. I am not using the RH_generate and RH_publish fodler names, but am using the correct file structure for generate and project files.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

You say you are creating links to the child projects in the parent TOC because when you use the merged tocs, the links don't work. They should so that should tell you something is wrong with the method you are using. Almost certainly that will be the same reason the search is not working.

My method is the same as Adobe prescribe in the help except that I only put one topic in the parent project and that is a redirect to a child project. It all works for me and and many others and should work for you.

Maybe it is because you are generating to a network drive? You can publish to a network drive but as with all help outputs, you should only generate to your hard disk.

I can only conclude that your setup is flawed or it is the network issue. If you want to describe your project and output structure in more detail, perhaps we can spot the problem. Otherwise I can only suggest you try my method. I know that Adobe Support advise people to vist my site and use that procedure.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

You say you are creating links to the child projects in the parent TOC because when you use the merged tocs, the links don't work. They should so that should tell you something is wrong with the method you are using. Almost certainly that will be the same reason the search is not working.

My method is the same as Adobe prescribe in the help except that I only put one topic in the parent project and that is a redirect to a child project. It all works for me and and many others and should work for you.

Maybe it is because you are generating to a network drive? You can publish to a network drive but as with all help outputs, you should only generate to your hard disk.

I can only conclude that your setup is flawed or it is the network issue. If you want to describe your project and output structure in more detail, perhaps we can spot the problem. Otherwise I can only suggest you try my method. I know that Adobe Support advise people to vist my site and use that procedure.

You can see the TOCs and search work in my demo.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

TOC - When I use the MERGE TOC, the links aren't broken... the TOC pane is blank. It's like theres a conflict with finding one of them and it blanks out the entire pane. Do the TOCs control the search feature too? Is there a file I can open to edit and see what its' doing? I'm trying to understand how linking to the MPJ (which doesn't show up in the generate files) matters.

File structure - my file structure for the project files has parent and child at same level. When generating, I have child inside mergedprojects, inside parent folder. (used structure and basics from your doc)

Parent project - I have one file in the parent project for the redirect page, but I do have a TOC built that links out to the children files.

Network issue - i moved the generate pages of one of my child books and my parent book to a local spot called rh_generate. The search still does not find a page in the child book.

^%&*&$(^$#*(&% - I feel better now

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

No the TOC does not have anything to do with the search. My point there is that I do believe there is something wrong with your structure and that will affect both features.

But whoa up a bit. You are talking about MPJ files. What version of RH are you using? If it is X3, have you installed the merge module as without that, it ain't going to work.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I took over this repsonsibility from someoen who has left my company. His software says RoboHelp 4.1. I see CDs at his desk for X3, X3 merge module, X4 and X4.1. Should I find a merge module for X4 also? Or if X3 merge was never installed, do I need to start there?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

X4 is OK, the merge module is built in so we can discount that.

Look, the only way we are going to get anywhere on this is to abandon your main help for a short while.

Create a new merge setup. Create a parent that redirects. Set up two child projects the way you are doing it now. Have just a couple of topics in each. Play around with that to see what works. If it is the same issues as your main projects, then post back to advise that. It's too late here now for me to look at this any more tonight.

Depending on what you have posted back, I will probably ask you to zip up the test projects and send them but don't do that until I say please.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Aug 29, 2006 Aug 29, 2006

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I decided to start from the beginning - I went to unistall robohelp and guess what... RoboHelp was not listed in my program directory. I reinstalled and tweaked a few other things and am getting good results with the search. I was able to keep my TOC in my parent as I wanted to but still put the "blank" merged TOC in there as well. Only generating to local drive for now. Next test is publishing. More to come....

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Aug 29, 2006 Aug 29, 2006

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST
Were you using the previous author's PC with your logon and without having reinstalled RH before you started?

RH will only work for the user whose logon was used to install it. That's part of the licence.

When you reinstalled, did you have admin rights on the PC. If you did not, you will run into further problems later on.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Resources
RoboHelp Documentation
Download Adobe RoboHelp