Exit

RH9 submenus do not appear; pc "dings" on mouse click

New Here ,
Sep 13, 2011 Sep 13, 2011

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Edition: RH HTML

Version RH9

When I click on a submenu like File>Open or File>Import>HTML, at the moment the dialog box should appear, the cursor momentarily changes to the "spinning circle" (Windows 7) as if a dialog box is going to open, but then nothing happens. The cursor returns to the arrow. When I click anywhere on the screen, the computer beeps as if it's waiting for a interaction with a dialog box -- one that is not visible. RH doesn't seem to be locked up, it just seems like a dialog box has popped off the monitor and I can't get it back.

This even happens on the initial RH screen when I click "Open". I must end the program in Task Manager in order to restart RH. This problem happens with any project, including the samples.

RH was working fine before this happened about a week ago. I was going to import an .html file and it seems like I clicked too fast or somewhere on the edge of the menu hotspot or something -- like I almost clicked in the right place, but didn't. Suddenly, I just got beeps when I clicked.

My troubleshooting attempts:

• Resizing the screen, resetting pods, closing pods, tile/cascade windows...
  • Uninstall/install RH9
  • Search the forum. Found a simlar topic called "HELP! Preview Topic has stopped working". Printed and tried the steps suggested for making changes in the Registry, but the directory/file structure didn't match mine, so I didn't make any changes.

Please help soon. I'm having to use an auxilliary computer that is much slower.

Thanks in advance,

Shelley

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi there

Are you (or more accurately, were you) using a multiple monitor setup at any point? If so, perhaps RoboHelp is attempting to present dialogs on non-existent monitors?

Cheers... Rick

Helpful and Handy Links

RoboHelp Wish Form/Bug Reporting Form

Begin learning RoboHelp HTML 7, 8 or 9 within the day!

Adobe Certified RoboHelp HTML Training

SorcerStone Blog

RoboHelp eBooks

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Well, aren't you clever. Yes, I neglected to mention that I am using a dual monitor set up. But I still have the problem when I disconnect the second monitor.

😕

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Try the Reset Environment

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

What is that? Where is it? How do I do it?

Thanks.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I don't have my copy of RH open right now, but in FM it's in the top right; hang on, let me check - ok, it's called "Workspace" in RH.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Oh, yes. Thanks. I did try that too, bit it didn't work.

Shelley

Sent from my iPhone

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi there

In RoboHelp 9 you click the Workspace and choose Default. But I'm doubtful that this will actually help things.

tmp1.PNG

The symptom you are describing sounds exactly like a situation where a dialog is appearing, but you are unable to see it for whatever reason. With a second monitor, we usually see folks that were using a second monitor, then disconnected it. The problem is that the dialog is expecting to appear on the second monitor and you cannot see it because it isn't connected.

You might try downloading a copy of MurGeeMon and see if you can use that to manipulate the windows.

Click here to visit the MurGeeMon site

Cheers... Rick

Helpful and Handy Links

RoboHelp Wish Form/Bug Reporting Form

Begin learning RoboHelp HTML 7, 8 or 9 within the day!

Adobe Certified RoboHelp HTML Training

SorcerStone Blog

RoboHelp eBooks

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Ok. Thanks!

Shelley

Sent from my iPhone

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Try Rick's advice in this thread - http://forums.adobe.com/message/3117519

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Sep 14, 2011 Sep 14, 2011

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

This didn't work.

As I've tested it further, I've narrowed it down to just the explorer window.

It appears that all of the dialog boxes within RH work properly, including the Preview window. The problem happens when I call on RH to open Windows Explorer to open or import a file. It acts like it's going to open explorer so I can browse to my file, but the window never shows up.

So this seems like it's very specific to how RH is working with Windows or Windows Explorer. This makes me think there may be a registry issue.

Earlier in this process, I uninstalled/reinstalled RH. However, I'm not sure I can trust that the registry was completely cleaned of all remnants of RH.

What do you guys think?

Thanks,

Shelley

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Interesting - Peter Grainge recommends using a tool call Revouninstaller (or something like that) to do a thorough Registry clean out.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Whew. Well I uninstalled again, then ran Revo Uninstaller. The only component of RH that it found was RoboSource. I let RU delete RS. RH is now working properly. I can't say for sure if RU made the difference or if just deleting RS fixed it. But either way it's fixed.

I'm very grateful to both of you for your quick and applicable help. I'm under major deadlines and needed to get this working. This is the first time posting questions on any forum actually helped!

Thank you so much.

Shelley

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

You have to use RevoUninstaller to uninstall a program so when you tried to uninstall RoboHelp that program was not there to be uninstalled. It is not a program you use after uninstalling.

What has happened here is that uninstalling RoboHelp source control fixed your problem.

See www.grainge.org for RoboHelp and Authoring tips

@petergrainge

Help others by clicking Correct Answer if the question is answered. Found the answer elsewhere? Share it here. "Upvote" is for useful posts.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Thank you. Yes, this is how I understood it too.

I only ran RU to see if it could/would find and clean up any remnants of RH after I had already uninstalled it using Control Panel. Clearly, all it found was RH source control, so as you said, uninstalling RH source control fixed the problem.

Thanks again!

Shelley

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Resources
RoboHelp Documentation
Download Adobe RoboHelp