• Español
      • Français
      • Português
  • 日本語コミュニティ
    Dedicated community for Japanese speakers
  • 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Premiere Pro CS 5.5 can't do a simple cross dissolve with MPE enabled?

New Here ,
Jun 17, 2011 Jun 17, 2011

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

When adding cross dissolves to a project that I'm working on, I've come across an odd problem. I say odd because this should be dirt simple, but Adobe seems to have messed this up. Please advise on any solution or work around, or perhaps simply see if you can recreate the issue so we can get Adobe to fix this.

Problem:

Cross dissolves transitions don't seem to work consistently in cs 5.5. Note: I know how transitions work, and I'm not doing something stupid like trying to apply a transition to a cut without actually removing any video between the two clips (assuming the clips came from the same source video.). I'm able to recreate this issue on two different systems with premiere pro cs 5.5 by doing the follwing:

1. Create a new project and and sequence with the default settings.
  2. Enable the Mercury Playback Engine if it isn't already enabled.
  3. I import the Wildlife.wmv video that comes default with Windows 7 systems.
  4. Drop it the video into the sequence.
  5. Ripple delete about a 2 second section of the video. be sure to do this in the first half of the video, and make sure the the video changes the scene during this period so that you will notice the cross dissolve transition when it is applied.
  6. Apply the default cross dissolve transition to the edit.
  7. Review the edit. For my test, this edit always seems to work fine.

This is a screen capture of the working cross dissolve transition.

cross dissolve works.png

Now let me show you what happens when I do a similar edit somewhere in the second half of the video clip.

cross dissolve doesn

As you can see, for the duration of the transition, only the clip to the left is shown. At the end of the transition effect the program out preview jumps to displaying the clip to the right. There is no transition.

Additional notes:

This second transition works fine with MPE disabled, but because if of my other problem http://forums.adobe.com/message/3725642 that I have with MPE disable it is not a viable work around.

Help?

-Ted

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

If it works correctly with MPE disabled, and incorrectly wih MPE enabled, then it sounds like a bug. File a bug report to get it in front of Premiere Pro engineering and QE so that they can test it (and hopefully fix it).

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I have submitted a bug report on this issue.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Ted178,

Would you mind posting the project that is showing this for you as an attachment here?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Here is a zip file containing the premiere pro project and a small render of the video with the issue discribed above. Like in my original post the first transition works fine, but the second doesn't.

http://www.mediafire.com/?f5wgglytc69tdbj

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Enthusiast ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Both transitions work perfectly well on my Win 7 machine whether MPE is enabled or not.

Capture 2.JPGCapture 1.JPG

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Jul 12, 2011 Jul 12, 2011

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I have the exact same issue. This bug affects AVCHD and presumably other source footage as well, and can be duplicated if you attempt to use either Cross Dissolve or Film Dissolve to dissolve cuts on the same footage. It's as if PPro can't see that there is a cut, and believes it to be uninterrupted footage since it's from the same source file, so it doesn't apply the dissolve.

I have been with PPro since CS2 and something like this should have never happened. Cross dissolves are about the most basic, most used transitions in every editor's arsenal. Shame!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

It's obviously a bug with MPE. It's an unfortunate fact of software development that bugs go undiscovered before a product is shipped. I'm sure Todd has filed a report on this by now and it's being reviewed by Adobe engineering. I can offer a little work-around that seems to resolve the problem until the Adobe engineering types can release a fix. Apply the Fast Blur effect to the clip and leave the blur level set to the default of 0 (zero). This causes a change in the render pipeline and the dissolve is now seen. Because Fast Blur is an MPE accelerated effect, there's still no rendering required. This trick will work with any MPE accelerated effect. It doesn't have to be Fast Blur.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Yep. We're working on fixes for some issues for dissolves when CUDA processing is used.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,
Sep 09, 2011 Sep 09, 2011

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Todd_Kopriva wrote:

Yep. We're working on fixes for some issues for dissolves when CUDA processing is used.

That's good to know.  I currently have to leave hardware acceleration off because of this issue.  One simple thing ruins an entire feature.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Mitch W's suggestion of applying "fast blur" (set to 0, so the video  is not altered), to one of the clips, did largly solve the problem for  me.

It's annoying to have to do that, but, it does allow you to keep the GPU acceleration enabled, and only takes ~1 second to do.

I must admit though, that I'm a bit surprised / disapointed that Adobe has known about this for at least 2 months now, (that the much touted GPU acceleration breakes the most frequently used video transition) and we've not yet seen an update to address it... that's a fairly serious bug...

-J

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I too am experiencing this issue.  AVCHD footage, GPU Acceleration, trying to apply a cross dissolve, and instead it randomly seems to see it as a simple cut.  The Cross Dissolve is simply ignored... Adjusting the footage length, removing the CDissolve, re-rendering, etc. have no effect.  For whatever reason, in that specific location on the timeline, a cross dissolve with GPU acceleration is impossible.  Yet, in other sections of the timeline, it is just fine.

(The Fast Blur trick mentioned above worked (Thank you!) however, when I changed my playback resolution on the screen display, that broke the fix.  Deleting the fast blur, and applying it to the clip on the other side of the cross dissolve, re-enabled the work around)

I also see an issue when a clip changes in the timeline, (cut from one piece of footage, to another) the video will begin to studder, dropping frames.  Framerate seems to drop to about 2fps.  To get smooth playback back, I have to pause and resume the playback.  Even if this is done very very rapidly, it still fixes the playback issue.  it's just really annoying to have to constantly stop and resume playback everytime a video clip changes in the timeline.

I have a dedicated hard drive for video, and a dedicated mirrored array for the OS.  the video drive is a 7200rpm SATAII drive, and I'm using AVCHD footage.  I really don't think it's a disk speed issue... particularly as pausing and resuming (even if you do it as fast as you can possibly hit the keys) fixes it.  I'd rather not spend the $ to set up a RAID 10 for video, if I can avoid it and particularly if it's not needed.

-Jason

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Enthusiast ,
Sep 10, 2011 Sep 10, 2011

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Same problem using MPE and Cannon MXF files. My work around is adding a null gpu accelerated video effect to one of the offending clips.

Hope that helps.

Premeiere CS5.5
Asus Board
Core I5 2400K
16GB Ram
Nvidia GTX 560Ti (software hack)
2TB Internal dedicated Video Drive

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

This issue was resolved for me with one of the recent Adobe updates. If you still experience this problem you may not have updated yet.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Enthusiast ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

What update? I haven't seen one offered for CS5.5.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Advocate ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

An Adobe employee posted that one would be released in the near future.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Sep 11, 2011 Sep 11, 2011

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

There were 2 or so updates within the last 3 months or so. But now that you mention it, those updates might have been for Photoshop/Camera Raw or something else. Either way, I don't have this issue any longer.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Sep 12, 2011 Sep 12, 2011

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

There are some fixes for CUDA-accelerated transitions in the Premiere Pro CS5.5 (5.5.1) update.

After you've installed that update, let us know how it's working for you.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Jan 02, 2012 Jan 02, 2012

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

I have the aforementioned issue, am not going to upgrade to 5.5, have the latest CS5 patch, and the Fast Blur trick does not work. Premiere acts as if the cross dissolve effect isn't even there.

CS5, Windows 7 64-bit, i7 with 24GB RAM, Asus motherboard, NVIDIA GeForce GTX 470 chipset video adapter

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Enthusiast ,
Sep 14, 2011 Sep 14, 2011

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Will check it tonight.

Well, Not showing any update available 9:25 pm PST, 9-14-11. IDK if having Premiere Pro CS 5.5 stand alone over the entire suite would make a difference, seems unlikely.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

> Not showing any update available

Follow the link that I gave.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Enthusiast ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Ah, it was the "...but not yet" in bold italics that I missed. Downloading from the direct link.

Thanks for the reply.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Dec 26, 2011 Dec 26, 2011

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Todd I just bought $1000 worth of CS5 master collection 12months ago of which I've only just started using premiere pro 2months ago, ive spent 120hrs of training in the program to do clips for my school kids (i know, overkill) only to find something as elementary as cross dissolves not working with a single hdslr video file edit?

I made an update with no rectification, do I now really need to go and repurchase another release CS5.5 for this single feature? If that is the case im very p*ssed off.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Sep 16, 2011 Sep 16, 2011

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks Adobe.

The 5.5.1 update seems to have fixed a lot of the  issues I was experiencing with 1080p/60 AVCHD footage.  Specifically with CUDA  transitions (cross dissolve) randomly not working, and playback issues  when the playback head passed from one clip to another in the timeline.

I'll need to test more to confirm that the issues is completely gone, but I've not seen it come up since the update, which is a very good thing.

Scrubbing is still choppy, but very much improved.

-Jason

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Sep 22, 2011 Sep 22, 2011

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Sorry - did not see your answer - seems that they have solved this issue after all? Or am I wrong? Anyone experiencing things are getting better concerning the above issues and issues described here: http://forums.adobe.com/message/2789016#2789016 after the 5.5.1 update?

Cheers

Morten

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines