1 2 3 4 Previous Next 128 Replies Latest reply: Feb 18, 2015 1:50 PM by rob day Go to original post RSS
      • 40. Re: how to export indesign layers to photoshop layers (same structure)
        rob day CommunityMVP
        The text layers came rasterized and I actually need them to be recognized as text layers since I would need to key off the info in them...is this possible with some extra preset modification or I'm just asking for too much already

Sorry the script is saving out PDFs of the layers and the text has to be rasterized when the PDF is opened into PS.

• 41. Re: how to export indesign layers to photoshop layers (same structure)
          sosoclumsy

Hi Rob,

Thanks so much for making this script - I've been using it for a long time now and it's been extremely helpful and a great timesaver! I can't seem to get it to work now though, and I'm not sure how to fix it. I actually ran it last week still using the CS3 version script  - even though I'm using CS5 now - it worked great with no problems. But now I'm getting an error message when I try to run the script...I downloaded the new version you posted for CS5 and still no luck with getting it to work. I read through your directions to change the "[PDF/X-4:2007]" to "[PDF/X-4:2008]" (since this is the only PDF/X-4 preset option available to me in InDesign) and also tried creating a preset named "myPDFpreset" (starting the PDF/X-4 preset) and then compiled and resaved the file, but still can't seem to get it running again. I'm not sure if there's any issues with the way I have my file set up or the settings within InDesign, I'm not sure.

I've attached a sreenshot of the error message I'm getting. Please let me know if you can help! Thanks again

Screen shot 2011-09-18 at 3.39.44 PM.png

• 42. Re: how to export indesign layers to photoshop layers (same structure)
            rob day CommunityMVP

Your error message isn't for a missing PDF preset. I'm wondering if something happened when you tried to edit the script. Could you download the script again (from post 32), run it and see if you get a different error message, and post that? My assumption that the PDF/X-4 preset is universally available seems to be causing problems, so I might post a version with a list of presets to choose from when I get some time.

• 43. Re: how to export indesign layers to photoshop layers (same structure)
              anardinelli

I recieved the same error message as sosoclumsy. I tried re-importing thee script, to no avail. Rob, if you are able to come up with a fix, that'd be great. Thanks for your help!

• 44. Re: how to export indesign layers to photoshop layers (same structure)
                rob day CommunityMVP

That error isn't for a missing PDF preset it's for something else. At what point do you get the error? Do you get past the two dialogs for folder selection and color mode/res and into Photoshop?

• 45. Re: how to export indesign layers to photoshop layers (same structure)
                  anardinelli Community Member

Sorry Rob, I got this error, which isn't the same as above. I do, however, get past the first two dialogs.Picture 28.png

• 46. Re: how to export indesign layers to photoshop layers (same structure)
                    rob day CommunityMVP

I can't find anything wrong here. If you can run the script from AppleScript Editor and copy the Replies log for me I might be able to spot the problem.

Run the script, click the Replies button, copy the text in the lower panel and post the text.

Screen shot 2011-11-01 at 6.21.41 PM.png

• 47. Re: how to export indesign layers to photoshop layers (same structure)
                      rob day CommunityMVP

Oh wait, I see that your error is the missing PDF/X problem. Nevermind about the log I'll post a fix.

• 48. Re: how to export indesign layers to photoshop layers (same structure)
                        sosoclumsy Community Member

For some reason I didn't get an email notification for your response to my post - I apologize for not replying sooner! I did manage to get the script to work though. Following your instructions in your earlier response to mckoenig, I created a new pdf preset with PDF/X-4:2008 Compatibility / Acrobat (PDF1.4) and named it PSDLayers. I then changed "set myPDFPreset to "[PDF/X-4:2007]" to  "set myPDFPreset to "PSDLayers" in the script. I'm not sure why I couldn't get it working right the first time around, but I've had no problems with it since.  Thanks again for the great script

PSDLayersPreset.png

PageToPSLayers.png

• 49. Re: how to export indesign layers to photoshop layers (same structure)
                          rob day CommunityMVP

This version should solve the missing PDF preset problems. I've added the dropdown menu with all available PDF presets. PDF/X-4 works best for color management:

http://www.zenodesign.com/forum/PageToPSLayersCS5v2.zip

• 50. Re: how to export indesign layers to photoshop layers (same structure)

Thanks so much, but still no luck. The first two layers open in PS, but each one as a seprate document. Then, this error message pops up.Picture 30.png

• 51. Re: how to export indesign layers to photoshop layers (same structure)
                              rob day CommunityMVP

What version of Photoshop are you running?

• 53. Re: how to export indesign layers to photoshop layers (same structure)
                                rob day CommunityMVP

Lets try the log idea. See my post 46. Try a simple document with a couple of layers so the log is short.

• 54. Re: how to export indesign layers to photoshop layers (same structure)

Sounds good. Here's the log:

tell application "Adobe Photoshop CS5"

count every document of current application

end tell

tell application "Adobe InDesign CS5"

activate

get active document

document id 7

get name of document id 7

"test_1.indd"

get horizontal measurement units of view preferences of document id 7

inches

get vertical measurement units of view preferences of document id 7

inches

set horizontal measurement units of view preferences of document id 7 to inches

set vertical measurement units of view preferences of document id 7 to inches

get page height of document preferences of document id 7

get page width of document preferences of document id 7

get pages per document of document preferences of document id 7

choose folder with prompt "Please select the folder you want to save your PDF pages in"

alias "Macintosh HD:Users:amelia:Desktop:test 1:"

make with properties {name:"Export to Photoshop"} new dialog

dialog id 538053

make new dialog column

dialog column id 97832 of dialog id 538053

make new border panel

border panel id 97833 of dialog column id 97832 of dialog id 538053

make new dialog column

dialog column id 97834 of border panel id 97833 of dialog column id 97832 of dialog id 538053

make new dialog row

dialog row id 97835 of dialog column id 97834 of border panel id 97833 of dialog column id 97832 of dialog id 538053

make with properties {static label:"Color Mode:"} new static text

static text id 97836 of dialog row id 97835 of dialog column id 97834 of border panel id 97833 of dialog column id 97832 of dialog id 538053

make with properties {string list:{"RGB", "CMYK", "Lab"}, selected index:0} new dropdown

dropdown id 97837 of dialog row id 97835 of dialog column id 97834 of border panel id 97833 of dialog column id 97832 of dialog id 538053

make new dialog row

dialog row id 97838 of dialog column id 97834 of border panel id 97833 of dialog column id 97832 of dialog id 538053

make with properties {static label:"Page to Export:"} new static text

static text id 97839 of dialog row id 97838 of dialog column id 97834 of border panel id 97833 of dialog column id 97832 of dialog id 538053

make with properties {edit contents:"1"} new real editbox

real editbox id 97840 of dialog row id 97838 of dialog column id 97834 of border panel id 97833 of dialog column id 97832 of dialog id 538053

make new dialog row

dialog row id 97841 of dialog column id 97834 of border panel id 97833 of dialog column id 97832 of dialog id 538053

make with properties {static label:"Resolution:"} new static text

static text id 97842 of dialog row id 97841 of dialog column id 97834 of border panel id 97833 of dialog column id 97832 of dialog id 538053

make with properties {edit contents:"300"} new real editbox

real editbox id 97843 of dialog row id 97841 of dialog column id 97834 of border panel id 97833 of dialog column id 97832 of dialog id 538053

make new dialog row

dialog row id 97844 of dialog column id 97834 of border panel id 97833 of dialog column id 97832 of dialog id 538053

make with properties {static label:"Antialias", checked state:false} new checkbox control

checkbox control id 97845 of dialog row id 97844 of dialog column id 97834 of border panel id 97833 of dialog column id 97832 of dialog id 538053

show dialog id 538053

true

get selected index of dropdown id 97837 of dialog row id 97835 of dialog column id 97834 of border panel id 97833 of dialog column id 97832 of dialog id 538053

get edit value of real editbox id 97840 of dialog row id 97838 of dialog column id 97834 of border panel id 97833 of dialog column id 97832 of dialog id 538053

get edit value of real editbox id 97843 of dialog row id 97841 of dialog column id 97834 of border panel id 97833 of dialog column id 97832 of dialog id 538053

get checked state of checkbox control id 97845 of dialog row id 97844 of dialog column id 97834 of border panel id 97833 of dialog column id 97832 of dialog id 538053

false

destroy dialog id 538053

count every layer of document id 7

get name of every layer of document id 7

{"Layer 3", "Layer 2", "Layer 1"}

set visible of every layer of document id 7 to false

set visible of layer 3 of document id 7 to true

set page range of PDF export preferences to "1"

set view PDF of PDF export preferences to false

export document 1 format PDF type to "Macintosh HD:Users:amelia:Desktop:test 1:13test_1.indd" using PDF export preset "[PDF/X-4:2007]"

"Adobe InDesign CS5 got an error: Invalid value for parameter 'using' of method 'export'. Expected PDF export preset, but received nothing."

• 55. Re: how to export indesign layers to photoshop layers (same structure)
                                    rob day CommunityMVP

This is from the older version. Try it with the version I just posted in #49— PageToPSLayersV2

• 56. Re: how to export indesign layers to photoshop layers (same structure)

Hmm, sorry about that. I retried with the version from #49. Here's the error message and the event log. Thanks again for troubel shooting this with me, I really 

appriate it.

end tell

activate

get active document

document id 7

"test_1.indd"

inches

inches

choose folder with prompt "Please select the folder you want to save your PDF pages in"

alias "Macintosh HD:Users:amelia:Desktop:test 1:"

make with properties {name:"Export to Photoshop (PDF/X-4 Preset Recommended)"} new dialog

dialog id 541119

make new dialog column

dialog column id 97832 of dialog id 541119

make new border panel

border panel id 97833 of dialog column id 97832 of dialog id 541119

make new dialog column

dialog column id 97834 of border panel id 97833 of dialog column id 97832 of dialog id 541119

make new dialog row

dialog row id 97835 of dialog column id 97834 of border panel id 97833 of dialog column id 97832 of dialog id 541119

get name of every PDF export preset

{"[High Quality Print]", "[PDF/X-1a:2001]", "[PDF/X-3:2002]", "[PDFX4 2007]", "[PDF/X-4:2008]", "[Press Quality]", "[Smallest File Size]"}

make with properties {static label:"PDF Preset:"} new static text

static text id 97836 of dialog row id 97835 of dialog column id 97834 of border panel id 97833 of dialog column id 97832 of dialog id 541119

make with properties {string list:{"[High Quality Print]", "[PDF/X-1a:2001]", "[PDF/X-3:2002]", "[PDFX4 2007]", "[PDF/X-4:2008]", "[Press Quality]", "[Smallest File Size]"}, selected index:4, min width:250} new dropdown

dropdown id 97837 of dialog row id 97835 of dialog column id 97834 of border panel id 97833 of dialog column id 97832 of dialog id 541119

make new dialog row

dialog row id 97838 of dialog column id 97834 of border panel id 97833 of dialog column id 97832 of dialog id 541119

static text id 97839 of dialog row id 97838 of dialog column id 97834 of border panel id 97833 of dialog column id 97832 of dialog id 541119

make with properties {string list:{"RGB", "CMYK", "Lab"}, selected index:0, min width:250} new dropdown

dropdown id 97840 of dialog row id 97838 of dialog column id 97834 of border panel id 97833 of dialog column id 97832 of dialog id 541119

make new dialog row

dialog row id 97841 of dialog column id 97834 of border panel id 97833 of dialog column id 97832 of dialog id 541119

static text id 97842 of dialog row id 97841 of dialog column id 97834 of border panel id 97833 of dialog column id 97832 of dialog id 541119

real editbox id 97843 of dialog row id 97841 of dialog column id 97834 of border panel id 97833 of dialog column id 97832 of dialog id 541119

make new dialog row

dialog row id 97844 of dialog column id 97834 of border panel id 97833 of dialog column id 97832 of dialog id 541119

static text id 97845 of dialog row id 97844 of dialog column id 97834 of border panel id 97833 of dialog column id 97832 of dialog id 541119

real editbox id 97846 of dialog row id 97844 of dialog column id 97834 of border panel id 97833 of dialog column id 97832 of dialog id 541119

make new dialog row

dialog row id 97847 of dialog column id 97834 of border panel id 97833 of dialog column id 97832 of dialog id 541119

make with properties {static label:"Antialias", checked state:false} new checkbox control

checkbox control id 97848 of dialog row id 97847 of dialog column id 97834 of border panel id 97833 of dialog column id 97832 of dialog id 541119

show dialog id 541119

true

get selected index of dropdown id 97837 of dialog row id 97835 of dialog column id 97834 of border panel id 97833 of dialog column id 97832 of dialog id 541119

get selected index of dropdown id 97840 of dialog row id 97838 of dialog column id 97834 of border panel id 97833 of dialog column id 97832 of dialog id 541119

get edit value of real editbox id 97843 of dialog row id 97841 of dialog column id 97834 of border panel id 97833 of dialog column id 97832 of dialog id 541119

get edit value of real editbox id 97846 of dialog row id 97844 of dialog column id 97834 of border panel id 97833 of dialog column id 97832 of dialog id 541119

get checked state of checkbox control id 97848 of dialog row id 97847 of dialog column id 97834 of border panel id 97833 of dialog column id 97832 of dialog id 541119

false

destroy dialog id 541119

export document 1 format PDF type to "Macintosh HD:Users:amelia:Desktop:test 1:13test_1.indd" using PDF export preset "[PDF/X-4:2008]"

end tell

activate

«event PsCSodoc» file "Macintosh HD:Users:amelia:Desktop:test 1:13test_1.indd" given «class FmOp»:{class:«class cGPF», «class CPrP»:true, «class OMde»:«constant ****e082», «class ResL»:300, «class AnAl»:false, «class crto»:«constant ****crt5»}

current application

end tell

set visible of layer 2 of document id 7 to true

export document 1 format PDF type to "Macintosh HD:Users:amelia:Desktop:test 1:12test_1.indd" using PDF export preset "[PDF/X-4:2008]"

end tell

activate

«event PsCSodoc» file "Macintosh HD:Users:amelia:Desktop:test 1:12test_1.indd" given «class FmOp»:{class:«class cGPF», «class CPrP»:true, «class OMde»:«constant ****e082», «class ResL»:300, «class AnAl»:false, «class crto»:«constant ****crt5»}

current application

get every document

{}

"Can’t get item 0 of {}."

Picture 34.png

• 57. Re: how to export indesign layers to photoshop layers (same structure)
                                        rob day CommunityMVP

I can see that it's breaking on the Photoshop PDF open command. Are you running the most recent Photoshop (12.0.4)? What's the version of your OSX? I have not tested the script with Lion.

• 58. Re: how to export indesign layers to photoshop layers (same structure)

No, I'm running PS 12.0.

I'm on OS 10.5.8.

• 60. Re: how to export indesign layers to photoshop layers (same structure)

Still no good. See error message and event log.

Picture 35.png

end tell

activate

get active document

document id 7

"test_1.indd"

inches

inches

alias "Macintosh HD:Users:amelia:Desktop:test 1:untitled folder:"

make with properties {name:"Export to Photoshop (PDF/X-4 Preset Recommended)"} new dialog

dialog id 546806

make new dialog column

dialog column id 97832 of dialog id 546806

make new border panel

border panel id 97833 of dialog column id 97832 of dialog id 546806

make new dialog column

dialog column id 97834 of border panel id 97833 of dialog column id 97832 of dialog id 546806

make new dialog row

dialog row id 97835 of dialog column id 97834 of border panel id 97833 of dialog column id 97832 of dialog id 546806

get name of every PDF export preset

{"[High Quality Print]", "[PDF/X-1a:2001]", "[PDF/X-3:2002]", "[PDFX4 2007]", "[PDF/X-4:2008]", "[Press Quality]", "[Smallest File Size]"}

make with properties {static label:"PDF Preset:"} new static text

static text id 97836 of dialog row id 97835 of dialog column id 97834 of border panel id 97833 of dialog column id 97832 of dialog id 546806

make with properties {string list:{"[High Quality Print]", "[PDF/X-1a:2001]", "[PDF/X-3:2002]", "[PDFX4 2007]", "[PDF/X-4:2008]", "[Press Quality]", "[Smallest File Size]"}, selected index:4, min width:250} new dropdown

dropdown id 97837 of dialog row id 97835 of dialog column id 97834 of border panel id 97833 of dialog column id 97832 of dialog id 546806

make new dialog row

dialog row id 97838 of dialog column id 97834 of border panel id 97833 of dialog column id 97832 of dialog id 546806

static text id 97839 of dialog row id 97838 of dialog column id 97834 of border panel id 97833 of dialog column id 97832 of dialog id 546806

make with properties {string list:{"RGB", "CMYK", "Lab"}, selected index:0, min width:250} new dropdown

dropdown id 97840 of dialog row id 97838 of dialog column id 97834 of border panel id 97833 of dialog column id 97832 of dialog id 546806

make new dialog row

dialog row id 97841 of dialog column id 97834 of border panel id 97833 of dialog column id 97832 of dialog id 546806

static text id 97842 of dialog row id 97841 of dialog column id 97834 of border panel id 97833 of dialog column id 97832 of dialog id 546806

real editbox id 97843 of dialog row id 97841 of dialog column id 97834 of border panel id 97833 of dialog column id 97832 of dialog id 546806

make new dialog row

dialog row id 97844 of dialog column id 97834 of border panel id 97833 of dialog column id 97832 of dialog id 546806

static text id 97845 of dialog row id 97844 of dialog column id 97834 of border panel id 97833 of dialog column id 97832 of dialog id 546806

real editbox id 97846 of dialog row id 97844 of dialog column id 97834 of border panel id 97833 of dialog column id 97832 of dialog id 546806

make new dialog row

dialog row id 97847 of dialog column id 97834 of border panel id 97833 of dialog column id 97832 of dialog id 546806

checkbox control id 97848 of dialog row id 97847 of dialog column id 97834 of border panel id 97833 of dialog column id 97832 of dialog id 546806

show dialog id 546806

true

get selected index of dropdown id 97837 of dialog row id 97835 of dialog column id 97834 of border panel id 97833 of dialog column id 97832 of dialog id 546806

get selected index of dropdown id 97840 of dialog row id 97838 of dialog column id 97834 of border panel id 97833 of dialog column id 97832 of dialog id 546806

get edit value of real editbox id 97843 of dialog row id 97841 of dialog column id 97834 of border panel id 97833 of dialog column id 97832 of dialog id 546806

get edit value of real editbox id 97846 of dialog row id 97844 of dialog column id 97834 of border panel id 97833 of dialog column id 97832 of dialog id 546806

get checked state of checkbox control id 97848 of dialog row id 97847 of dialog column id 97834 of border panel id 97833 of dialog column id 97832 of dialog id 546806

false

destroy dialog id 546806

export document 1 format PDF type to "Macintosh HD:Users:amelia:Desktop:test 1:untitled folder:13test_1.indd" using PDF export preset "[PDF/X-4:2008]"

end tell

activate

«event PsCSodoc» alias "Macintosh HD:Users:amelia:Desktop:test 1:untitled folder:13test_1.indd" given «class FmOp»:{class:«class cGPF», «class CPrP»:true, «class OMde»:«constant ****e082», «class ResL»:300, «class AnAl»:false, «class crto»:«constant ****crt5»}

current application

end tell

set visible of layer 2 of document id 7 to true

export document 1 format PDF type to "Macintosh HD:Users:amelia:Desktop:test 1:untitled folder:12test_1.indd" using PDF export preset "[PDF/X-4:2008]"

end tell

activate

«event PsCSodoc» alias "Macintosh HD:Users:amelia:Desktop:test 1:untitled folder:12test_1.indd" given «class FmOp»:{class:«class cGPF», «class CPrP»:true, «class OMde»:«constant ****e082», «class ResL»:300, «class AnAl»:false, «class crto»:«constant ****crt5»}

current application

get every document

{}

"Can’t get item 0 of {}."

• 61. Re: how to export indesign layers to photoshop layers (same structure)
                                              rob day CommunityMVP

No, I'm running PS 12.0.

Try updating to the most recent 12.0.4. I don't think there was full scripting support in 12.0.

http://www.adobe.com/support/downloads/product.jsp?product=39&platform=Macintosh

• 62. Re: how to export indesign layers to photoshop layers (same structure)

Rob, that did the trick! I can't thank you enough for your patience and

perseverance. The script works beautifully. Bravo!

• 63. Re: how to export indesign layers to photoshop layers (same structure)
                                                  rob day CommunityMVP

Your welcome. I'll update the read me so users know about the 12.0 problem.

• 64. Re: how to export indesign layers to photoshop layers (same structure)
                                                    on_a_slant

hello rob,

I have stupidly used indesign to create this whole website layout, so now i need to export it to photoshop for the web guy to code....

Thank you for the script, it is fantastic! - the answer to my prayers (...nearly)

it's just, with the script you've provided, it exports all the layers and flattens all my sub-layers/items in those layers.

.... say i've created a navigation bar, and i've group all the items into one big layer, it gets flattened when exported...

I know i've dug my own hole, and should probably just make the items into layers, but it will take too long and there's so many pages...

do you happen to have a solution? or did i just confuse you more?

thanks!

• 65. Re: how to export indesign layers to photoshop layers (same structure)
                                                      rob day CommunityMVP

It would be possible to script but it wouldn't be trivial, you'd have to consider groups, inline graphics, and maybe Photoshop's total layer limit.

• 66. Re: how to export indesign layers to photoshop layers (same structure)
                                                        RJensenArtDirector

Rob, great script. An extra Christmas present as I'm in need of creating layered PS files of quite number of InD files that I've already created for a client who is now demanding PS instead of InD.

The only thing that I'm trying to get in the PS now is the crop marks and a bleed of .125". I've made a PDF preset that is such and I select that preset once the dialogue box comes up when the script is activated. But, I don't get either the bleed or crop marks in the final PS document.

If you have any suggestions, I'd REALLY appreciate it.

Thanks,

Rick

• 67. Re: how to export indesign layers to photoshop layers (same structure)
                                                          RJensenArtDirector Community Member

Rob,

I just did a work-around  by changing the size of my InD document to include the bleed and then have added guides in PS for client reference.

Thanks again for the great script — it's working flawlessly.

Rick

• 68. Re: how to export indesign layers to photoshop layers (same structure)
                                                            rob day CommunityMVP

I'm traveling, the script sets the PDF bounds to the trim, but it could include crops. I'll post something later today.

• 69. Re: how to export indesign layers to photoshop layers (same structure)

Rob,

Thank you for your quick reply. First of all, thanks for the super time saving script. It's working great.

I've done a work around by changing the InD document size to include the .125 of bleed I need and then in PS I'm adding the guides for the client reference. So, thank you and whenever you get around to it — I'd certainly take the updated script the next time I need to do this.

Who wants a layout in PS anyway? Dang clients.

Thanks Rob.

Rick

• 70. Re: how to export indesign layers to photoshop layers (same structure)
                                                                rob day CommunityMVP

Who wants a layout in PS anyway? Dang clients.

You don't mean this is a print job? Hope you're getting paid up front.

To include the PDF preset's crops you need to edit the script. Look for the 3 lines where the crop page is set to trim box and change to bounding box.

So this:

if colorMode is "CMYK" then

set myOpenOptions to {class:PDF open options, constrain proportions:true, mode:CMYK, resolution:res, use antialias:aa, crop page:trim box}

else

if colorMode is "RGB" then

set myOpenOptions to {class:PDF open options, constrain proportions:true, mode:RGB, resolution:res, use antialias:aa, crop page:trim box}

else

if colorMode is "Lab" then

set myOpenOptions to {class:PDF open options, constrain proportions:true, mode:Lab, resolution:res, use antialias:aa, crop page:trim box}

end if

end if

end if

Needs to be:

if colorMode is "CMYK" then

set myOpenOptions to {class:PDF open options, constrain proportions:true, mode:CMYK, resolution:res, use antialias:aa, crop page:bounding box}

else

if colorMode is "RGB" then

set myOpenOptions to {class:PDF open options, constrain proportions:true, mode:RGB, resolution:res, use antialias:aa, crop page:bounding box}

else

if colorMode is "Lab" then

set myOpenOptions to {class:PDF open options, constrain proportions:true, mode:Lab, resolution:res, use antialias:aa, crop page:bounding box}

end if

end if

end if

• 71. Re: how to export indesign layers to photoshop layers (same structure)

Hey Rob.

Yeah, this is a print job! Crazy. He's got InDesign too!

We're past being billable on this one.

Thanks for the edit to the script.

• 72. Re: how to export indesign layers to photoshop layers (same structure)
                                                                    John Hawkinson CommunityMVP

FYI, Rick, your email address and phone number appear in all your posts via email for all the world to see -- you should suppress your signature when replying via email. You should be able to edit it out of at least the last few posts on the web interface as well (but a moderator might have to do some).

• 73. Re: how to export indesign layers to photoshop layers (same structure)

John,

A huge thanks for that one. I didn't realize that the reply was feeding back into the forum post.

Thanks man.

• 74. Re: how to export indesign layers to photoshop layers (same structure)
                                                                        BobLevine CommunityMVP

I deleted it from the other one.

Bob

• 76. Re: how to export indesign layers to photoshop layers (same structure)
                                                                          RBA2000

Funny how things go in this world.

I work for a prepress company in the Netherlands (so forgive my bad english!).

A collega comes to me with the question if its possible to export an InDesign document with layers to a Photoshop document with layers.

I am not sure about this and start looking on the world wide web.

And.. find a solution or not...

Because the link to PageToPSLayersCS5v2.zip or ...v3.zip or all dead.

It redirect back to this Adobe Forums site.

So my question is now: does it work and where can I find it.

(working with Photoshop 12.04 x64, InDesign 7.0.1 and Mac OS X 10.6.8)

Maybe it's a stuppid question but better ask it than keep looking for mayby nothing.

In all cases thanks anyway.

Ray

• 78. Re: how to export indesign layers to photoshop layers (same structure)
                                                                            Eugene Tyson CommunityMVP

InDesign to Photoshop Layers

File>Export>PDF> Acrobat 6 or above and Create Layers

Open PDF in Illustrator

File>Export>PSD and select write layers

Tried it on a fairly complex page with text, blending modes, etc. all layers came thorough fine, with clipping masks and all in tact.

• 79. Re: how to export indesign layers to photoshop layers (same structure)
                                                                              rob day CommunityMVP

Eugene, Are you getting your ID named layers into AI? 

I get one layer (Layer 1) in AI with all of the ID objects as layer objects, which might be good depending on what your looking for. In my test file a column of text is cut up into lines with each on its own layer—the script would export the two user defined layers. The AI approach is definitely better if you want every object on its own layer.

ID

Screen shot 2012-01-18 at 12.05.30 PM.png

AI

Screen shot 2012-01-18 at 12.04.55 PM.png