• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

I am ready to make the jump to restful webservices

Enthusiast ,
Sep 14, 2011 Sep 14, 2011

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I am used to using amf and get and post data to interact with cfc's and cfms but now I am ready to make the jump to restful webservices. Is there much to be learned here before I make the jump?

TOPICS
Advanced techniques

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Sep 19, 2011 Sep 19, 2011

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Since you are used to GET and POST operations, the jump is likely to be a small one. Add to that, PUT and DELETE, and you have the complete set of CRUD operations for RESTful webservices.

Aesthetically, RESTful services insist on a strict distinction between the server providing the service, and the client consuming it. However, possibly the most significant point to note is that a RESTful service is generally stateless. The client is expected to manage his own state, independent of the server. A suitable client is therefore one that can resume operation, should the server happen to stop and restart.

Another point to note is that the communication in RESTful webservices consumes much less bandwidth than in traditional webservices. The absence of overheads like SOAP headers, for example, makes RESTful services suitable for portable and mobile devices.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Advocate ,
Sep 23, 2011 Sep 23, 2011

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

There is a great Coldfusion Meetup video that talks about best practices for creating your own RESTful web services.  Might be worth checking out:

http://www.meetup.com/coldfusionmeetup/

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Advocate ,
Sep 23, 2011 Sep 23, 2011

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Actually, I think it was the meetup on creating your own API.  I thought I would link to it because it might be hard to track down:

http://www.meetup.com/coldfusionmeetup/events/23410261/

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Resources
Documentation