16 Replies Latest reply: Sep 19, 2011 3:20 PM by the_wine_snob Branched from an earlier discussion. RSS

mono instead of stereo

Typical Toby Creations

Hey guys, I know this is down or something and this is probably not the right place to do it but can I need help quick with a simple problem:

I accidently recorded my footage on mono instead of stereo. How can I change this to stereo??

• 1. Re: mono instead of stereo
          Jon-M-Spear Community Member

You can't.  You can span it across two tracks, but it's still going to be mono.  What did you record?  Single voices are mono in the first place.

• 2. Re: mono instead of stereo
            Typical Toby Creations Community Member

I recorded myself with a Vidmic Pro by RODE and accidently set it to mono instead of stereo whilst recording.

I just want to be able for it to play out both speakers, so how would I span it across 2 tracks..?

• 3. Re: mono instead of stereo

Put the audio on the timeline.  It will default to a mono track.  Using the mixer, create a mono sub-master and patch the mono track through it.  (Written from memory)

• 4. Re: mono instead of stereo

okay, from the mixer bit could you please explain in 'noob' or 'very very novice' terms on how to do it. I'm just making small videos for youtube and it seems like a great program which I've been using for months now.

So it's on the timeline and in mono, I can seen the mixer window and now what?

• 5. Re: mono instead of stereo

Untitled.png I found it, now how do i create it?

• 6. Re: mono instead of stereo

Okay so I kinda did it myself but I did a well crap job.. it's all muffely etcetc.

Also on the clips that have stereo they become whacko..

• 7. Re: mono instead of stereo

Stereo tracks should be unaltered.  What have you done?

this is how you should create it...

Right-click in this area and add new audio track...

rightclick.PNG

Select mono audio submix track...

mono.PNG

A mono submix will be created in the mixer...

sub.PNG

• 8. Re: mono instead of stereo
                        Ann Bens ACP/MVPs

If your audio is real mono your output is going to be stereo if your master track is stereo.

If you have just one side in a stereo track just use Fill left or Fill Right.

• 9. Re: mono instead of stereo
                          Stan Jones MVP

So it's on the timeline and in mono, I can seen the mixer window and now what?

Ann's response tells you all you need to know. When you said this in post 4, what your image in post 5 shows is that it was a stereo track. So I think you recorded your single mike (mono) to a stereo track, so you'd use Ann's second method (fill left or right) in a stereo track.

• 10. Re: mono instead of stereo
                            J. Simon Community Member

I just want to be able for it to play out both speakers

A mono audio recording will, by default, play out both left and right speakers.  If your's isn't, then it's not a mono recording, it's a stereo recording with audio on one track only.

That's a very different thing, so be sure to use the correct terminology here.

• 11. Re: mono instead of stereo

So when the mono submix is created I tried dragging my audio into the submix line on the timeline, although this would not work. I am still not 100% sure of what to do next.

• 12. Re: mono instead of stereo
                                Stan Jones MVP

Look at Jim's post 10. Do not use a submix. If your clip is mono (I don't think it is), then just make sure it is assigned to a stereo master. If it is stereo, then you do not need a submix; just use fill left or right.

• 13. Re: mono instead of stereo
                                  sacha_G Community Member

I'm guessing here, but it sounds like you've recorded mono onto one side of the stereo track in the camera, and that's actually fine - we do this all the time with external mics, especially lapels - so you have two channels, e.g. lapel on left and 'nat sound' camera mic on right.

So then, if your main audio has been recorded this way and is effectively only on one side you can change the clip from stereo to dual mono by using Interpret Footage on the clip in the project bin *before* you put it on the timeline.

Select clip - Clip menu - Modify - Interpret Footage - Audio Channels TAB - select Mono checkbox

Now drag the clip into the timeline and the clip will appear on the timeline as two mono files - delete the 'silent' one - the other one will default to centre pan and so play out of both speakers.

If you do this a lot you can set it as an import default under Preferences>Audio>Source Channel Mapping>Default Track Format>Mono

Also use Fill Left or Right effect if it's already cut in the timeline (as Ann suggested) - whilst you can use submixing (you had to do this in earlier versions of PPro) it's a bit of a faff IMO - much better to get the clip in the right format when you import it in in the first place.

Sacha.

• 14. Re: mono instead of stereo
                                    the_wine_snob Community Member

Well, technically, it will not be "stereo," but instead 2-channel "mono."

Even if one duplicates the mono (1-channel) source file, and Pans one hard-left, and the other hard-right, one still gets the exact same signal, but in two channels. For true stereo, there will be differences in the left and right channel streams.

For narration, I always use a mono source, and as my Master is stereo (or DD 5.1 SS), the resultant output file will appear in both channels, if the Balance is centered.

If the stream is localized, then I use the duplicate method, and might do slightly different modifications with the Pan hard-left/hard-left.

Hunt

• 15. Re: mono instead of stereo
                                      J. Simon Community Member

Well, technically, it will not be "stereo," but instead 2-channel "mono."

There's no such thing as '2 channel mono' as far as PP is concerned.  Mono by definition is one channel.  Even if you have two tracks in the file, both identical, it's still not mono.  For PP purposes, it'll be a stereo track.  All audio files with two channels are called "stereo" from a PP perspective, regardless of what those channels contain.  Calling them anything else will only end up confusing the issue.

If it has a left and a right, it's stereo.  Mono has only one channel, and by default will go out both left and right speakers during playback.

• 16. Re: mono instead of stereo
                                        the_wine_snob Community Member

What I am pointing out is that 2-channel mono (same exact stream in both channels) is NOT true "stereo." Even Panning one channel hard-left and the other hard-right does not create true stereo. It is like doing faux 5, or 6-channel - it is not true "Surround Sound," though with some care and work, can sound pretty close.

If it has a left and a right, it's stereo.

This is incorrect. Examine a true stereo signal, recorded as such, and you can easily see the differences between each channel. If you have the same exact mono signal in both channels of a 2-channel stream, that is not true stereo, but mono in 2-channels.

Hunt