19 Replies Latest reply: Jul 21, 2012 5:31 PM by M0N5TERS RSS

StageVideo on iOS

KarelBrascamp Community Member

Hi all,

It would be so great if there would be stagevideo support for iOS devices. I know there's a workaround using StageWebView, but I need to be able to place objects on top of the video.

Does anyone know if, and if so, when Adobe plans to release support for StageVideo on iOS?

• 1. Re: StageVideo on iOS
          relaxatraja Community Member

You can do call the native video player from the IOS using stagewebview and play H.264 videos.

• 2. Re: StageVideo on iOS

Thanks, but using the stagewebview workaround, I'm not able to put flash objects on top of the video. And I need that for my application..

• 3. Re: StageVideo on iOS
              relaxatraja Community Member

I think its possible if you not occupy the whole stage width and height. and you can use the space for your purpose?

• 4. Re: StageVideo on iOS

Nope, I need to place objects on top of the video. Wich according to the documentation, doesn't seem possible:

'The StageWebView instance attached to a stage is displayed on top of any Flash display objects' (source)

• 5. Re: StageVideo on iOS
                  sebelga Community Member

I'm trying to do the same thing with the new AIR 3 beta 2 in Adobe Labs. With the new stagevideo API available for iOS we should be able to play a h264 movie. I'm trying it on a iPad 1 with iOS 4.3.5 with no luck. I get the sound playing, but no video. I do get the "Accelerated" with GPU though....

Have you tried it yourselft with better results?

• 6. Re: StageVideo on iOS
                    loic_digitas Community Member

Hello Sebelga,

I'm trying the same thing than you with an iPad 1 with iOS 4.3.3 and I have the same result. I have the sound but no video with the gpu render mode.

Adobe, do you know if it's a known issue with the iPad 1 ?

Thank you

• 7. Re: StageVideo on iOS
                      sebelga Community Member

I created a bug at Adobe. You will find there a zip file with the test project I did.

At the end I could see a portion of the video "outside" the stage.. Check it to understand.

• 8. Re: StageVideo on iOS

I actually managed to do it, targeting flash player 11, and packaging with the Adobe Air 3.0 RC sdk.

• 9. Re: StageVideo on iOS
                          Arthy the crab

@karelBrascamp : Is it possible to get your example files ? i spent my week end trying to do it on android + ipad2... (i successfully traced the runtime as the latest airt3 beta, but still no stagevideo available)

• 10. Re: StageVideo on iOS
                            Arthy the crab Community Member

Ok i did successfully in integrating VideoStage and play accelerated video, but performance are very bad and far from expected, even if followed adobe recommandation from Adobe AIR TV article : http://www.adobe.com/devnet/devices/articles/video_content_tv.html.

• Video codec: H.264, Main or High profile, progressive encoding
                            • Resolution: 720i, 720p, 1080i, or 1080p
                            • Frame rate: 24 or 30 frames per second
                            • Audio codec: AAC-LC or AC3, 44.1 kHz, stereo
                            • Combined bit rate: up to 2Mbps (or higher depending on available bandwidth)
                            • Audio bit rate: up to 192 kbps
                            • Pixel aspect ratio: 1 × 1

performance on Xoom tablet are not good. Did someone managed in configuring AIR3 app + video encoding to fit expected results (0% CPU, and 100% GPU video decoding as i understood) ????

• 11. Re: StageVideo on iOS

Hey guys, I've put together an iOS Stage Video class that works great on iPad/iPad2 (have yet to test it on my iPhones), this should help you out! It's not perfect, but it works like a charm!

You will have to add in the following compiler arguments to your Flex project:

-swf-version=13 -target-player=11.0

and in your app descriptor file set the rendermode to 'direct'

you must also set the 'backgroundAlpha' to 0 on your main component

var path:String = new File(new File( app:/path/to/mp4 ).nativePath).url;

var vid:iOSStageVideo = new iOSStageVideo( path , 1024 , 768 );

vid.addEventListener('videoDone' , function():void{

container.removeChild( vid );

removeElement( container );

container = new UIComponent();

container.width = stage.stageWidth;

container.height = stage.stageHeight;

addElement( container );

container.addChild( vid );

and here is the class:

import flash.display.Sprite;

import flash.display.StageAlign;

import flash.display.StageQuality;

import flash.display.StageScaleMode;

import flash.events.Event;

import flash.events.NetStatusEvent;

import flash.events.StageVideoAvailabilityEvent;

import flash.events.StageVideoEvent;

import flash.geom.Rectangle;

import flash.media.StageVideo;

import flash.media.StageVideoAvailability;

import flash.media.Video;

import flash.net.NetConnection;

import flash.net.NetStream;

public class iOSStageVideo extends Sprite

private var videoPath:String;

private var videoWidth:Number;

private var videoHeight:Number;

private var _sv:StageVideo;

private var _vd:Video;

private var _obj:Object;

private var _ns:NetStream;

public function iOSStageVideo( path:String , w:Number , h:Number ){

videoPath = path;

videoWidth = w;

videoHeight = h;

addEventListener(Event.ADDED_TO_STAGE, onAddedToStage);

//stage is ready

private function onAddedToStage(e:Event):void{

stage.scaleMode = StageScaleMode.NO_SCALE;

stage.align = StageAlign.TOP_LEFT;

var nc:NetConnection = new NetConnection();

_ns =  new NetStream(nc);

_obj = new Object();

_ns.client = _obj; _ns.bufferTime = 2;

_ns.client = _obj;

_obj.onMetaData = MetaData;

_sv = stage.stageVideos[0];

_sv.viewPort = new Rectangle(0, 0, videoWidth , videoHeight );

//video is ready, play it

//public, can be called externally

public function playVideo():void{

_ns.play( videoPath );

_ns.addEventListener(NetStatusEvent.NET_STATUS, videoStatus);

//required metadata for stagevideo, even if not used

private function MetaData(info:Object):void{ }

//get video status

private function videoStatus(e:NetStatusEvent):void{

case "NetStream.Play.StreamNotFound":

//do something

case "NetStream.Play.Start":

//do something

case "NetStream.Play.Stop":

case "NetStream.Buffer.Empty":

//do something

case "NetStream.Buffer.Full":

//do something

case "NetStream.Buffer.Flush":

//do something

//stop and clear the video

//public, can be called externally

public function stopVideo():void{

dispatchEvent( new Event('videoDone', true ) );

• 12. Re: StageVideo on iOS
                                billo Community Member

Can someone please provide a Flash Professional CS5.5 solution for StageVideo on iOS.  A FLA file would be preferred.  I have used StageWebView successfully on an iPad.  I have tried using various document classes but cannot get the video file to play.  The solution must stream the video file from a remote server (NOT A FLASH MEDIA SERVER).  Are there any settings that need to be adjusted within Flash Professional CS5.5?  Remember, I DO NOT want a Flash Builder solution only Flash Professional CS5.5!

• 13. Re: StageVideo on iOS
                                  Sharpie-clemson UGM/MVP

Did anyone ever come up with a StageVideo example for Flash CS 5.5?

• 14. Re: StageVideo on iOS
                                    billo Community Member

Below is the Flash CS5.5 solution. Make sure your using AIR 3.1 and the AIR for iOS rendering setting is set to GPU.

package {

import flash.desktop.NativeApplication;

import flash.desktop.SystemIdleMode;

import flash.display.MovieClip;

import flash.geom.Rectangle;

import flash.media.StageVideo;

import flash.net.NetConnection;

import flash.net.NetStream;

public class Main extends MovieClip {

private var VIDEO_URL:String = "http://www.website.com/video.mp4";

private var netConnection:NetConnection;

private var netStream:NetStream;

private var video:StageVideo;

public function Main() {

NativeApplication.nativeApplication.systemIdleMode = SystemIdleMode.KEEP_AWAKE;

netConnection = new NetConnection();

netStream = new NetStream(netConnection);

netStream.client = this;

video = stage.stageVideos[0];

video.viewPort = new Rectangle(0, 0, 480, 270);

public function onMetaData(dataObj:Object):void {

// Do nothing.

• 15. Re: StageVideo on iOS

for me it only plays sound, no video visible

• 16. Re: StageVideo on iOS
                                        billo Community Member

franky303at -- What version of Air are you using?  I used Air 3.1 for this file.  Did you set rendering to GPU?  Did you test it on the device?

• 17. Re: StageVideo on iOS
                                          franky303at Community Member

Tried setting both renderMode "direct" and "gpu". - Using AIR 3.2 SDK ...   And yes, only testing on ipad 2 with iOS 5.1.  Both target ipa-debug and ipa-ad-hoc ...   Video is mp4 with h264 codec.

• 18. Re: StageVideo on iOS

The tutorial posted here: http://01am.co.uk/comment/2 is working perfectly for me.

However, I get no audio. The mp4 file itself contains audio (when played in Quicktime) but is silent when played in my IOS app.

Is there something I need to do to activate StageVideo's sound? Has anyone else had similar issues?

• 19. Re: StageVideo on iOS
                                              M0N5TERS Community Member

I had the same issue. It seems to be a bug. There's an easy way to fix it. Just play a sound, before playing the video.

I just added a short sound file that I'm playing onLoad. Without this, Flash doesn't seem to know how to handle sound in video files, but once you played a sound, it "remembers" how to do it for stagevideo.

Silly solution, but it worked for me