• Español
      • Français
      • Português
  • 日本語コミュニティ
    Dedicated community for Japanese speakers
  • 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

RH9: 2 Authors, 1 project ; Translation involved. Best practices?

New Here ,
Sep 20, 2011 Sep 20, 2011

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi!

I'm a tech writer that's also a translator. I end up writing topics and translating them, along with my colleague who also writes topics. We both have RH9, and we need to work on the same project. Most of the time, I'll translate the topics he wrote. Right now, we are copying the English topics in a "French" sub-folder, where we overwrite the text when translating. That way, we make sure the layout doesn't change; only the text does. However, I am wondering what would be the best way for us to be able to work in the project simultaneously. We have a Sharepoint Server, so perhaps we could use it to check out the topics we are working on, and then check them back in when we're done. But I'm not sure how this would work. Hints, anyone?

Thanks for your help!

Marie-Eve

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

Community Expert , Sep 20, 2011 Sep 20, 2011

To the best of my knowledge Sharepoint cannot be used as a source control system for a RoboHelp project. I will leave others to state their source control preferences. Mine is to avoid it!

See www.grainge.org for RoboHelp and Authoring tips

@petergrainge

Votes

Translate

Translate
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

See if this helps.

With two of you working on the project, if that is simultaneously I am assuming you have source control in place.

@petergrainge

Help others by clicking Correct Answer if the question is answered. Found the answer elsewhere? Share it here. "Upvote" is for useful posts.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

We haven't started working simultaneously yet...Still putting the structure in place. We have access to SharePoint and RoboSource for source control. But I'm not even sure it's possible to control RH sourcing with Sharepoint. Any suggestions?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

To the best of my knowledge Sharepoint cannot be used as a source control system for a RoboHelp project. I will leave others to state their source control preferences. Mine is to avoid it!

@petergrainge

Help others by clicking Correct Answer if the question is answered. Found the answer elsewhere? Share it here. "Upvote" is for useful posts.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

And how would you do without Source Control?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

We don't have more than one author on a project at any one time. The big projects are split and created as merged help.

We backup up creating a daily zip file that is automatically put on the network for company backup procedures to pick up.

@petergrainge

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Sep 21, 2011 Sep 21, 2011

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

There is a new discussion on Linked In as well. Haven't read it yet but looks relevant.

http://www.linkedin.com/groupAnswers?viewQuestionAndAnswers=&discussionID=71688460&gid=2381149&comme...

@petergrainge

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Resources
RoboHelp Documentation
Download Adobe RoboHelp