1 2 Previous Next 49 Replies Latest reply on Sep 22, 2011 4:17 PM by Semaphoric

What I don't like in upgraded Forum

Fuzzy Barsik Level 4

Dear Uncle Adobe,

I regret to inform you that some features in new Forum look upset minor amount of users.

Personally I have nothing against how a User's Stuff is displayed and am convinced that embedding 'Correct' answer into original post possesses promising future, but felt it my duty to report about a few complaints.

Although some of your team already interfered, trying to calm a crowd with a promise to turn 'embedding' feature off, the rest issue is not reconciled.

Hope we would be able to agree on some filters that would allow to sort User's Stuff according to

- threads started by a user (all ones, not just 'answered' or 'open' questions);

- time a user participated in (not just time of latest update by someone responded in a thread a user ever participated).

Yours faithfully,

Fuzzy Barsik

• 1. Re: What I don't like in upgraded Forum
          joe bloe premiere Level 5

+1 to what Fuzz sez.

the pop-up flyout that appears when the cursor is hovered over a user's

profile name now displays a confusing mish-mash of not just recent activities,

but threads recently updated by someone, in which a user ever participated.

It seemed much more informative to be able to see the content that was

originated by that user in chronological order as it was before the update.

For example, moderators could tell at a glance if the poster has

made identical posts regarding the same issue in multiple forums.

• 2. Re: What I don't like in upgraded Forum
            ~graffiti Adobe Community Professional & MVP

joe bloe premiere wrote:

+1 to what Fuzz sez.

the pop-up flyout that appears when the cursor is hovered over a user's

profile name now displays a confusing mish-mash of not just recent activities,

but threads recently updated by someone, in which a user ever participated.

I hadn't noticed that until you brought it up. For me it shows threads I last posted in around 2006.

• 3. Re: What I don't like in upgraded Forum

The Forums should revert to restricting the username pop-up

list of discussions to posts originated by that user.

It is displaying that old thread from 2006 in your pop-up because

you participated in that discussion at some point, and it has

been updated with a new post (on 9/18/11)... regardless of when

you made your last contribution.

It used to be an informative tool for determining a questioner's

experience level through viewing their previous posts.

Now, it is essentially worthless.

• 4. Re: What I don't like in upgraded Forum

The biggest problem with the Forum upgrade still remains.

Embedding the reply that the original poster has designated as

the 'correct answer' to the original post can be detrimental for a user

who may not read the subsequent responses that provide more

complete (and often better) information regarding the question.

A skimmer may only read the original post with the 'correct' response

as designated by the OP, and reasonably assume it is an officially

Adobe endorsed solution, and not gain the benefit of the nuance

and corrections that will usually follow.

Also, it is often the case that the OP does not recognize a response

as incomplete or entirely incorrect, and designates the post as 'correct'

anyway.

-Ann Bens

"I agree, this feature should go all together.

Half the time its not correct or the correct answer is at

the bottom of the thread or loaded with irrelevant info."

http://forums.adobe.com/message/3924910#3924910

-Todd Kopriva

"I don't much like this feature of embedding the 'correct'

answer out of context, either.  I'll ask about turning it off."

http://forums.adobe.com/message/3924883#3924883

• 5. Re: What I don't like in upgraded Forum
                  adobe-admin Adobe Employee

There doesn't appear to be a way to modify this. I've submitted a feature request to Jive at https://community.jivesoftware.com/ideas/2445

• 6. Re: What I don't like in upgraded Forum

Thanks for the reply.

Does that pertain to what is displayed

in the username pop-up as well?

• 7. Re: What I don't like in upgraded Forum
                      Jacob Bugge MVP & Adobe Community Professional

John, thank you for trying to save us from the ghastly Embedded Correct Answer ghost, which may haunt us for a long time, even with a successful feature request.

Having said so much about the subject in advance, I decided to let others bring it up, or not. I am pleased to see that many seem to agree, and that there is hope.

• 8. Re: What I don't like in upgraded Forum
                        Claudio González Most Valuable Participant

joe bloe, I hadn't met this new feature, and was completely appalled when I saw it. I think that this thread clearly shows why:

http://forums.adobe.com/thread/903882?tstart=30

The original poster found that the suggestion in the first response worked, and so he marked it as Correct. As a result, it is now not only marked as Correct, but also prominently reproduced inside the opening post as the correct answer. However, that solution was not entirely correc and was later corrected. Also, some other ways of achieving the desired effect were also posted.

Pity that:

1. the original poster never came back to see all this, because he thought he already had his answer; and
                        2. more likely than not, any newcomer with the the same question, on seeing this very prominent Correct Answer inside the opening message, will think that's the one and only correct answer and will read no further.

And I must say that I was pleasantly surprised by the number and quality of further contributions which will unfortunately be wasted on newcomers.

JC, you say that there appears to be no way to modify this. Was this a feature specifically asked by Adobe? If it wasn't, I would think that Adobe has the right to ask for this undesirable feature to be removed. (Not to mention the ghastly rating stars in the opening message of threads: why should just any anybody/nobody be granted the privilege of rating an opening message on unknown and unspecified criteria?).

• 9. Re: What I don't like in upgraded Forum
                          the_wine_snob Level 9

The prominent display of a marked "Correct" answer does have the potential for great confusion. The older "Correct Answer" icon was fine, and I would vote for it being implemented - if possible at this date.

Hunt

• 10. Re: What I don't like in upgraded Forum
                            Harbs. Level 6

Moderators can fix improperly marked correct answers.

If you think something should be marked differently, you can suggest that to the moderator on your forum.

Harbs