Exit

Flash Download Problems

Explorer ,
Sep 21, 2011 Sep 21, 2011

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

WindowsXP SP3

Mozilla/5.0 (Windows NT 5.1; rv:6.0.2) Gecko/20110902 SeaMonkey/2.3.3

(Note well:  Internally, SeaMonkey 2.3.3 is the same as Firefox 6.0.2.  They both use the same Gecko 6.0.2 for rendering Web pages, interfacing with the Internet, downloading, etc.)  They differ only in the user interface (menus, buttons, etc).

I see two problems when trying to download a new version of Flash Player from http://get.adobe.com/flashplayer/.  . 

1.  Your Web server is sniffing for my browser.  I select the "Download now" button, and I get the same page all over again.  The navigation is looping.  If I spoof Firefox 6.0.2, however, I do get a download.  This means you are sniffing for "Firefox" when you should be sniffing for "Gecko". 

2.  While spoofing Firefox, the download gives me install_flashplayer10_chrd_aih.exe, which is not the installer for Flash Player 10.3.183.10.  Instead, it is some kind of helper.  To get the correct installer file, I had to search my archives to find the URI http://fpdownload.macromedia.com/get/flashplayer/current/licensing/win/install_flash_player_10.exe

Both of these problems were previously cited in this forum at http://forums.adobe.com/message/3885371.  Neither problem has been fixed. 

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks for the note.  I'll forward the first issue along to our Adobe Installation Helper team, though I'd also like to recommend that you also add a new bug report on this over at bugbase.adobe.com if you'd like to keep track of the bug.  The second issue is actually as designed.  We're working to improve the workflow, especially during error scenarios, but the download helper is our preferred method of installation.

Thanks,

Chris

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I strongly prefer downloading the complete installer, not a stub.  I maintain my own PC and also my wife's.  With a complete installer, I download once and install twice.  With a stub, I wind up downloading twice ... for no good reason. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I understand, I'd recommend bookmarking the following FAQ post:

Where can I find direct downloads of Flash Player for Windows or Macintosh?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks.  I've bookmarked it. 

The problem with invalid browser sniffing is now Adobe bug #2980423. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Sep 26, 2011 Sep 26, 2011

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Adobe bug #2980423 was closed on the basis that it could not be reproduced.  Obviously, no attempt was made to try while using the SeaMonkey browser. 

Furthermore, the response stated: "Adobe Flash player do [sic] not support SeaMonkey. Could you please use the browse mentioned in  system requirement."  If Flash Player supports Firefox (which is asserted by "Adobe Flash Player system requirements" at http://www.adobe.com/products/flashplayer/systemreqs/), then Flash Player supports SeaMonkey.  Firefox and SeaMonkey use the same internal Gecko "guts". 

See https://bugzilla.mozilla.org/show_bug.cgi?id=689405

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Sep 27, 2011 Sep 27, 2011

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

In any case, the assertion that Flash does not support SeaMonkey is false.  Without spoofing Firefox, the test page at http://www.adobe.com/software/flash/about/ states that I have successfully installed Flash 10,3,183,10. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,
Sep 27, 2011 Sep 27, 2011

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I've asked the team that triages the bug database to take another look at this.  I've also forwarded the thread directly to the AIH team (the download manager wrapper) for their review.

Chris

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Sep 30, 2011 Sep 30, 2011

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

(firefox)

I also have the same problem. When I click Download it will just reload and wont start. may i ask is it because of my popup blocker or my antivirus?

I tried it on internet explorer and there is no problem what do i need to change?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Sep 30, 2011 Sep 30, 2011

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Flash Player is different for Internet Explorer than for othe browsers.  Go to  "Flash Player for other browsers" to get it without having to spoof Firefox. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines