Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Moving the Digital Editions folder out of Documents

New Here ,
Sep 21, 2011 Sep 21, 2011

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Everyone,

I'm running Mac OS X 10.6.8 (snow leopard). Is there a way for me to move the Digital Editions folder out of my Documents folder without screwing up the software? (I'd like to put it in a separate folder where I keep all of my ebooks.)

It would be a big help if you have any suggestions.

Sincerely Yours,

ISB

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Enthusiast ,
Sep 22, 2011 Sep 22, 2011

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

ADE only looks for Digital Editions under your Documents Folder, however you can fool it by setting up a symlink in the Documents folder named Digital Editions that points to the right place (using ln -s in the command line  ie ln -s /Volumes/SecondDrive/ebooks/de ~/Documents/Digital\ Editions).

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks for responding so quickly, Jim.

I'm kind of a novice when it comes to command line stuff. Would I go into Terminal to do this and then just type "ln -s /Volumes/SecondDrive/ebooks/de ~/Documents/Digital\ Editions"?

Do I replace the "/Volumes/SecondDrive/ebooks/de ~/" with the path that I want it to point to?

Thanks,

ISB

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Enthusiast ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

You got the basic idea.  I would:

1. Make sure you quit ADE
  2. Copy your current Digital Editions folder to where you want it to be (important make it a copy) and maybe rename it if you don't want it to be called Digital Editions.
  3. Rename the Digital Editions folder in your Documents folder to something like "Old Digital Editions"
  4. Open up Terminal window and type ln -s (and add a space at the end)
  5. Drag the folder that you created in step 2 onto the terminal window - this will add the full path onto the command line (ie the /Volumes/SecondDrive/ebooks/de above)
  6. Type in a space and then "~/Documents/Digital\ Editions"  without the double quotes into the terminal.
  7. In a finder window make sure it worked by making sure there is now a "Digital Editions" folder that opens up to the folder you created in step 2.
  8. Launch ADE and make sure it still works.

Good Luck...

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

That worked perfectly. Thanks, Jim.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines