Dedicated community for Japanese speakers
  • 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

What am I doing wrong? Newbie trying to learn advanced actions

Sep 23, 2011 Sep 23, 2011

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I'm really hoping somebody can help me with this. I was hired on to my present job to learn Captivate and create quizzes.  The thing is, a lot of the quizzes involve looking at screen-grabs for an answer.  Before I came, the quiz-builders were basically using the forward and back keys for functionality, but one of my first assignments was, "Get the screen-grab to appear on the same slide as the question."

I figured out how to do that by doing a rollover slidelet...only there doesn't seem to be a way to add a slidelet to one of the default quiz slides.  In addition, we need the option for partial scoring.  Either way, all of this led me to Lilybiri's wonderfully educational posts on how to create custom questions, which involve advanced actions.

So I rolled up my sleeves and got the Extended Radio Buttons widget from Captivate Dev.  I'm using Captivate 5.5, I've got 4 possible answers and one correct answer.  Three buttons on the slide: Submit, a nextOK and a nextVOID.  Submit brings up an advanced action that calls nextOK if the answer is correct, which reports 1 point.  If the answer is incorrect, nextVOID is supposed to be called and doesn't report anything.  I can get the right answer to show, but when the answer isn't right, I can click the "Next" button to my heart's content, and nothing happens.

If this were photoshop or another program I know, I'd know where to go and what to do to try and trouble-shoot this problem, but I am just completely stumped. Can somebody please tell me if I'm a) taking the completely wrong approach or b) on the right track and I just need to add this little tweak I would never have thought of?

Here are some screenshots from the issue I'm having.  Please help out this desperate newbie.

advanced actions.png declaring variable.pngproperties - nextOK.png properties - nextVOID.png properties - submit.pngwidget.png

TOPICS
Getting started

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Advocate ,
Sep 29, 2011 Sep 29, 2011

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

welcome.

in your submit_chickenlittle action, are you calling the nextVOID button in the 'else' option?

Scratch that, I didn't look at the object properties.  So you have the objects as visible already?  Where are the submit/nextOK/nextVOID buttons in relation to each other on the timeline?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Sep 29, 2011 Sep 29, 2011

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Hello,

Thanks for your kind words about my blog. It would be easier if I could have access to your file, should that be possible? If not I will try to check your screenshots, but my eyes are so tired today. I see that you have only one decision, what will happen if the condition results in False? I cannot see the Else portion of the decision.

Lilybiri

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Resources
Help resources