1 2 Previous Next 48 Replies Latest reply: Sep 23, 2011 3:11 PM by DanTull Go to original post RSS
      • 40. Re: Lightroom 3.5 RC Performance Feedback
        tgutgu Community Member

thewhitedog wrote:

I want to thank Becky and Dan for keeping us up to date with their progress in dealing with the issues raised on this thread. As a long-time user/complainer I find their feedback very encouraging. I realize it takes extra time for them to keep us informed, but it makes our efforts in posting here seem worthwhile, which, in my case at least, is good for morale. That said, I have been quite pleased with the performance of 3.5 RC and, for the first time, have recommended the update to friends who also use Lightroom. Keep up the good work.

Good to hear, that the performance improvements, I observed immediately after installing 3.5 RC - I was quite baffled - , do also show up in your system.

And thanks to Becky and Dan for keeping us informed.

• 41. Re: Lightroom 3.5 RC Performance Feedback
          Chateldon

I Mean that just the pin is lost.

All the corrections are fine, but I cannot see what I've done before nor correct it.

• 42. Re: Lightroom 3.5 RC Performance Feedback
            JimHess-h1lFU3 Community Member

Chateldon wrote:

I Mean that just the pin is lost.

All the corrections are fine, but I cannot see what I've done before nor correct it.

Press the "H" key to hide/reveal the pin.  This is a feature, not a bug.

• 43. Re: Lightroom 3.5 RC Performance Feedback
              bob frost Community Member

Quote: "On several images I tried to view, I get the message "Adobe Photoshop Lightroom 64 Bit has stopped working. A problem caused the program to stop working correctly. Windows will close the program and notify you if a solution is available" and the program shuts down. It seems the same files do it over and over where others are fine. " End quote.

I've been getting the same message while trying to render standard previews with 3.5RC. It's just stopped working about five times this morning, so I've gone back to 3.4.1 for normal work. That seems to work OK for rendering en masse.

Bob Frost

• 44. Re: Lightroom 3.5 RC Performance Feedback
                thewhitedog Community Member

I've not seen any similar problem on my Mac. I wonder if it will turn out to be a Windows only problem? This would be significant in that most issues I've seen discussed here are the same or at least similar on both platforms.

• 45. Re: Lightroom 3.5 RC Performance Feedback
                  bob frost Community Member

thewhitedog wrote:

I've not seen any similar problem on my Mac. I wonder if it will turn out to be a Windows only problem? This would be significant in that most issues I've seen discussed here are the same or at least similar on both platforms.

I may have solved the problem - after installing 3.4.1 again, I checked the prefs file (as I often do after installation) and found that LR had somehow reverted to the default folder for the ACR cache on the system disk. I swapped it back to the correct folder and deleted the default cache folder, and rendered all my altered images without trouble. It was only later after a cup of coffee (the wonders of caffeine?) that I realised that the default ACR cache on my system disk would have nearly filled it. I use a 50GB cache. So the problem might simply have been that LR did not like working with a system disk that was nearly full. Back to 3.5RC!

Bob Frost

• 46. Re: Lightroom 3.5 RC Performance Feedback
                    Rmurrayphoto Community Member

Hi Dan,

I am trying 3.5 RC because of an issue I've had with 3.4.1 that unfortunately has not been resolved. In fact it's gotten worse and my import and export times have tripled if not worse with 3.5 RC. i

My original issue was that when exporting images to JPEG (haven't tried other formats) Lightroom consumes my entire CPU and actuall cause me to be unable to use my machine until the export is complete. For expample, I start an export (which is taking 3-4xs longer in 3.5 than 3.4.1) and if I try to multitast (for example use my browser to check email) during the export, I nearly can't. My mouse actaully gets buggy and starts skipping and becoming unresponsive. When I open the Window's Task Manager I see that while exporting Lightroom keep pegging my CPU usage out at 99% every few seconds. It happens whether resizing images or just exporting them at original size. It only happens during export and again both importing and exporting take extrordinarily longer.

I'm running Windows 7 Home Premium with SP1
                    My Processor is a AMD Phenom 9150e Quad-Core 1.80 GHz

7 GBs of RAM
                    64-bit OS

Please let me know if you need more info or if you have suggestions or fixes for this issue.

Is anyone else experiencing this problem?

• 47. Re: Lightroom 3.5 RC Performance Feedback
                      Rmurrayphoto Community Member

P.S. if it matters I am using dual displays. One is 1920x1080 and the other is 1680x1050 the graphics card is a NVIDIA GeForce GT 220.

• 48. Re: Lightroom 3.5 RC Performance Feedback
                        DanTull Adobe Employee

...my import and export times have tripled if not worse with 3.5 RC...

Sorry for the delay in replying, I got busy with some stuff the last few days.

There is one issue in the 3.5 RC that would cause inflated import in place times for certain photos, though the worst I've seen is a 70% increase and it's usually much less and often none at all (and for moderately sized batches of images just copied from card/camera is all but impossible to detect due to disk caching). That specific issue is (will be) resolved in the 3.5 final version. If that's the issue, the other thing that would slow down drastically is "Read Metadata" and it would get better if you subsequently perform a save metadata operation*, I think.

I'm not sure what would cause the issue you're describing, though. It makes me wish I was more familiar with using xperf/kernrate and other windows profiling tools in the field.

It makes it sound to me like an interaction with some low level piece of software like a virus scanner, search indexer, or driver. That is, some piece of software that actually operates inside the Lightroom process either by being in the kernel or an UI extension that injects itself into the process.

If you bring up task manager and check the "Show Kernel Times" option in the view menu, is it the red or green line that spikes when the machine seizes? If it's red, we're looking for a kernel component like a file system filter (virus scanner, search indexer, rootkit, etc) or video driver (I seem to recall LR in prior versions getting into really bad interactions with NVIDIA's nView software) and if it's green then it's either LR itself or a bad interaction with some kind of extension. There are other more technical tools for drilling in further, but I won't elaborate on that here.

P.S. if it matters I am using dual displays. One is 1920x1080 and the other is 1680x1050 the graphics card is a NVIDIA GeForce GT 220.

Hmm. If you use LR on only one screen and/or disconnect the secondary one, does the manifestation change at all? That could be an interesting clue.

I wish I had a more slam dunk answer, but I am pretty curious to understand this problem. Chances are somebody somewhere has or will hit it, too.

Thanks -- DT

* The problem is due to an ACR feature that calculates an identifier for images. Once the id is saved into the XMP, it bypasses the expensive computation on subsequent uses of the photo. There are a bunch of cases that are inexpensive, but the fallback involves reading a few chunks of the actual image pixel data and running a digest algorithm on it.

1 2 Previous Next