• Español
      • Français
      • Português
  • 日本語コミュニティ
    Dedicated community for Japanese speakers
  • 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

How To Copy Object Effects to Another Object?

Participant ,
Sep 23, 2011 Sep 23, 2011

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hey,

I can't find anywhere how to copy effects applied to the object (e.g. drop shadow, inner glow, etcetera) to another object.

Is that possible?

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

Community Expert , Sep 24, 2011 Sep 24, 2011

See the little fx icon in the effects panel when you select the object that already had the effects applied? Drag it to the object you want to apply that same effect to.

Bob

Votes

Translate

Translate
Participant ,
Sep 23, 2011 Sep 23, 2011

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I found this post, but I don't have any "Paste Attributes" in the "Edit" menu... http://forums.adobe.com/message/939532#939532

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Sep 24, 2011 Sep 24, 2011

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Zoffix222 wrote:

I found this post, but I don't have any "Paste Attributes" in the "Edit" menu... http://forums.adobe.com/message/939532#939532

That's because it's a different program.

I honestly dont recall if it's possible to copy effects, but it is possible to use them to create an object style. Apply the style to other objects anywhere in the document. Edit the style and the effects on all objects where it is applied will update.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

See the little fx icon in the effects panel when you select the object that already had the effects applied? Drag it to the object you want to apply that same effect to.

Bob

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Participant ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hey, thanks. Only now did I notice the icon. The line with the icon was selected and the icon was virtually invisible with my color scheme.

Seems like a pretty big interface design flaw with the whole copying business... Often my objects are on different pages, etc.

Oh well, better than nothing.

Thanks for the help.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Oct 03, 2016 Oct 03, 2016

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Does not work!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Jul 19, 2017 Jul 19, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

It doesn't work for me either. Once I drag the fx icon I see and start dragging it to the object that I want to apply the fx to I see a small closed hand icon with a small square next to it. When I drop it on the object that I want to  edit nothing happens. No fx are applied to it.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Enthusiast ,
Jul 19, 2017 Jul 19, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi,

Don't forget that you can use object style to ensure consistency in effects across objects. Once you have got an object looking the way you want, you can create a new object style. Doing it this way means that it's much easier to make global changes quickly.

Regards,

Malcolm

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Oct 20, 2019 Oct 20, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

You are a genius, Thx 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Participant ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

DOH! Lol, must've been too late at night that I didn't even notice it was a different forum

I did notice you can create object styles, but it seemed like too much trouble to go into just to copy the shadow or inner glow...

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Mar 11, 2020 Mar 11, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Object Style, now THERE is something nice!
A problem I had was copying the Drop Shadow to a vector logo (for example) in Indesign. That vector has, let's say, several parts. When you use the "Drag FX Icon" way, only one of those liiiitle pieces get the shadow!
Now, with the Object Style saved (uncheck ALL options in the style, leaving just the DROP SHADOW one, of course), I can apply it to any group of objects at once! Yey!!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Participant ,
Apr 08, 2013 Apr 08, 2013

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thank you for asking the question and Thank you to Bob Levine's terrific answer. It works like a charm.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Enthusiast ,
Sep 28, 2015 Sep 28, 2015

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

1.)

I see a copy not allowed icon when I drag and drop the FX icon from the palette onto another object.

2.)

How can I prevent the effects values to be "scaled" when I scale the object itself? (I would like to have fix values

for the effects and stroke widths for example.)

Keeping the handling of fx just like in Photoshop CC by using a contextual menu entry "Copy Effects" and "Paste Effects" would be a nice to have feature.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Mar 06, 2017 Mar 06, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Wow! Thanks so much. Just made my job a whole lot easier!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Dec 30, 2021 Dec 30, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

THANK YOU!! 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Guru ,
Dec 30, 2021 Dec 30, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Yes, this is possible if you use object styles

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines