• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

unable to add new hyperlinks in Robohelp 7

Sep 27, 2011 Sep 27, 2011

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi all,

I'm working with Robo#7, when I try to add new hyperlinks the dialog box is opened and it takes forever to respond if at all and then crashes the project.

I have no such problem in other projects.

Can this be related to the volume of this project?

I have to finish my project TODAY and I don't have time to split it so any solution/ advice would be appreciated.

Many thanks,

Talia

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

First make a backup copy of the project so that whatever you do, you can get back to where you are right now, in other words, you cannot make things worse. Zip the copy so that you cannot accidentally open it and work on it you can unzip it as many times as needed.

My first effort would be to simply delete the CPD file and then reopen the project. Make a note of its size. Post back to let us know how that goes.

See www.grainge.org for RoboHelp and Authoring tips

@petergrainge

Help others by clicking Correct Answer if the question is answered. Found the answer elsewhere? Share it here. "Upvote" is for useful posts.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Many thanks, I'm trying it...as of now it is still trying to open the project for the passed 1/2 hour , updating bookmarks, links etc...still on going...

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

With a new CPD it should not take that long. Clearly something else is at play here.

Where is your project located?

When did this problem start?

Can you give us some figures such as total size in MB and number of topics?

@petergrainge

Help others by clicking Correct Answer if the question is answered. Found the answer elsewhere? Share it here. "Upvote" is for useful posts.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi,

I finally managed to get it to open cpd is now 11 MB instead of previous one 136 MB

I'm now able to add hyperlink but it take more than 1/2 hour each

When did it start? in the previous version of this project I imported several html files with huge volume and then it started

to take a long time to get the hyperlinks in there but it did work.

Now, in this updated version (before your suggestion) I added a new book with imported html files (same as before) and the hyperlinks doesn't work at all.

Note, the imported html files include hyperlinks between them which do wirk in the project and in the compiled chm, just unable to add new ones.

The project is located on company network, I tried to copy into my local computer under C but it didn't help.

BTW, I see now that I have 5 folders in the main directory called:"!chm_tmp_folder_0" - !chm_tmp_folder_5 - total of 5

looks like backups? should I keep them? delet all and keep just the latest?

chm size is 33 MB

xpj is 2 KB

Any additional help would be highly appreciated.

Talia

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

The project is located on company network, I tried to copy into my local computer under C but it didn't help.

BTW, I see now that I have 5 folders in the main directory called:"!chm_tmp_folder_0" - !chm_tmp_folder_5 - total of 5

looks like backups? should I keep them? delet all and keep just the latest?

You have identified the problem, company network. I know you said it didn't make any difference on your C drive but was that before you created the new CPD?

The temp folders can be deleted. Guess why they are not getting deleted, clue is in the paragraph above.

@petergrainge

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi there

In addition to what my esteemed colleague has offered, I'll also toss this out. I noticed that Peter asked you about number of topics. And certainly that may be a factor. But something to consider is the number of topics in any given location. Some folks try to lump thousands of topics into a single folder and they wonder why things slow down.

But my real reason for offering a reply here is to say that you can likely speed things along by constructing your hyperlinks in a different way. From what you have described it would seem that you are selecting the text and either clicking the Hyperlink icon in the toolbar, right-clicking or using the Insert menu to create your links. Taking any of these routes you always end up stopping at the Hyperlink dialog and choosing the topic there. And that dialog is where the slowdown occurs.

Another way of creating hyperlinks is by selecting the text, then finding the topic you wish to link to in either the Project Manager or Topic List pods. Then click and drag the topic from either of these pods and drop it onto the selected text. (You may even drag a topic from the Table of Contents pod if you like)

You may find this a more efficient way of creating your links.

Cheers... Rick

Helpful and Handy Links

RoboHelp Wish Form/Bug Reporting Form

Begin learning RoboHelp HTML 7, 8 or 9 within the day!

Adobe Certified RoboHelp HTML Training

SorcerStone Blog

RoboHelp eBooks

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

You are are both magicians!

I combined both suggestions, and all works like a charm! I can't thank you guys enough!

Many thx!!!

Talia

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Rick is also known as RoboWizard and not without good reason.

@petergrainge

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Resources
RoboHelp Documentation
Download Adobe RoboHelp