Dedicated community for Japanese speakers
  • 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Help formating a WebHelp Pro project linked to FrameMaker

Sep 27, 2011 Sep 27, 2011

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I am new at both FrameMaker and RoboHelp, both softwares were used by my company before I came but unfortunately the folks that knew the software left before I was hired.

I have imported our FrameMaker 7 docs into FrameMaker 10 and recreated the WebHelp Pro projects.

I am having a few simple formatting issues which can probably be attributed to my lack of knowledge or training.

I setup a skin, master page and style that match the old help which we need to duplicate as much as possible.

My problem is I am linking the FrameMaker to the RoboHelp project so I don't have changes specifically within the RoboHelp project (we have custom help per customer and I am hoping to only maintain the FrameMaker document).  I am not able to get the paragraph formating (specifically indenting) to work right.  The information looks fine before the master page is applied but once the master page applies (during the help build) everything gets pushed to the left hand column and there is very little indention and it is not the way I specified in the style sheet.

Any assistance would be great.  I was getting used to the packages and really liking them but now I am pulling my hair out over the little things (like visual formatting).

Thanks!

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

Deleted User

I may have found the problem.  I decided to edit my style sheet from outside of RoboHelp and found alot of "null entries".  It is working the way I asked it to now.

Votes

Translate

Translate
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Welcome to our community, Fran

I fully understand that you aren't all that comfortable with RoboHelp, but I have a question for you. Is a Master Page even needed? What are you doing with the Master Page?

I ask because you say things are fine until you apply the Master Page.

Cheers... Rick

Helpful and Handy Links

RoboHelp Wish Form/Bug Reporting Form

Begin learning RoboHelp HTML 7, 8 or 9 within the day!

Adobe Certified RoboHelp HTML Training

SorcerStone Blog

RoboHelp eBooks

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I use the MasterPage to apply a "header" and "footer" to all pages of the web help

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Ok - first, you probably should have posted this in the FrameMaker Integration forum.

Second, you're mixing terminology here - are you importing FM content into a RH project or are you linking? They are two completely different things. To link FM to RH you need to be using the Tech. Comm. Suite. Importing can be done either in TCS or using the standalone versions.

Third, you talk about WebHelp Pro - using that help output is only for use with RH Server. Just because it says "Pro" doesn't make it any better than regular WebHelp.

Formatting is controlled by CSS - you will probably need to edit yours.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I am linking not importing.

The skin I layed out works in the WebHelp Pro format and thus I am using that layout for the output.

I tried updating the CSS for the indenting I wanted and it appears to be ignoring it. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hello again

What Jeff was alluding to earlier about WebHelp Pro is that you don't gain anything by choosing that format. It's not somehow "better" or contain more features than WebHelp.

Unless you have purchased and have had your Web admin folks install the RoboHelp Server application, the WebHelp Pro does nothing for you. Actually, it likely hinders using the output without publishing it to the RoboHelp Server.

The bottom line is that if you aren't also using the RoboHelp Server counterpart, WebHelp Pro is totally inappropriate.

Cheers... Rick

Helpful and Handy Links

RoboHelp Wish Form/Bug Reporting Form

Begin learning RoboHelp HTML 7, 8 or 9 within the day!

Adobe Certified RoboHelp HTML Training

SorcerStone Blog

RoboHelp eBooks

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Sep 28, 2011 Sep 28, 2011

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Thanks for the info ... I will use the WebHelp then.  I also very much appreciate the links and will take a look.

Thank you both for the information.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I may have found the problem.  I decided to edit my style sheet from outside of RoboHelp and found alot of "null entries".  It is working the way I asked it to now.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Resources
RoboHelp Documentation
Download Adobe RoboHelp