Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

My FrameMaker 8 Keeps Crashing in Windows 7

Participant ,
Sep 26, 2011 Sep 26, 2011

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi,

My FrameMaker 8 keeps crashing in Windows 7---altho I try and save frequently and have it set to auto-save, I still have lost so much work by it crashing randomly---help! How do I solve this? I cannot upgrade at this time as all my clients are using 8 and upgrading one will mean them all, and they won't do that yet (well, at least until the end of the year). Pls give me some insight on how I can solve this. Thanks!

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
LEGEND ,
Sep 26, 2011 Sep 26, 2011

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Could you please let us know which point version of FM8 you're running and exactly which Win7 version (32- or 64-bit). This kind of minimizes guessing. Also, is you machine adequately equipped? e.g. how much RAM, free disk space, etc.

However, FM8 definitely isn't supported in a 64-bit environment, though it runs well for many (try compatibility mode if you're on a 64-bit system). A couple of known troublemakers for Win7 users with FM (and many older 32-bit applications) are: UAC (user account control - disable it if you can); Aero & graphics drivers(can really tax the system with older drivers/graphics card).

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Advocate ,
Sep 27, 2011 Sep 27, 2011

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

smathers,

How did you install? I would recommend to download the installer from the FrameMaker updater page at http://www.adobe.com/support/downloads/product.jsp?product=22&platform=Windows. Adobe posted a newer version there because the older installers had problems with Win XP SP3. The direct link is:

http://www.adobe.com/support/downloads/detail.jsp?ftpID=4549

Another thing I have read is to run the installer in XP compatibility mode as otherwise it might not be allowed to do everything the OS expects.

Last but not least, you could run the software in a virtual XP environment within WIndows 7.

- Michael

corrected links

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Participant ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi! Thx everyone for reply, I love this forum! Here are the answers & also questions for you (I still need more direction on what you are telling me to do):

• Arnis:
    - I'm running Windows 7 64-bit, FM version 8.0p266.
    - It's a new laptop & I have plenty of RAM & free disk space.
    - How do I try the "compatibility mode"?
    - How do I disable my UAC?
  • Michael:
    - I installed using the FM8 CD. I clicked the "FrameMaker updater page" link you provided, but it didn't work & I can't find any patch or update pages on Adobe's site---can you give me the actual uRL?
    - How do I run the installer in XP compatibility mode?
    - I've heard I can switch to a virtual XP environment within Windows 7, but don't know how to do this---do you have a link?

I am eagerly awaiting the possible fix---thanks again so much!!!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Contributor ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

You're quite a few patches behind in your FM8, so that may be exacerbating any issues. Try patching first:

http://www.adobe.com/support/downloads/product.jsp?product=22&platform=Windows

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Advocate ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

smathers,

Somehow the link was corrupt, I edited the entry. Just to be sure, you get the latest and greatest FM8 full product stand-alone installer (not for TCS1 installations!) here:

http://www.adobe.com/support/downloads/detail.jsp?ftpID=4549

- Michael

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Participant ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

OK---I've installed all the patches, and am now going to do some work---keeping my fingers crossed...!!! THANK YOU everyone!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I'd be tempted to try what Arnis is suggesting with compatibility mode first & if that doesn't help, use the virtual XP VM that you can get for Win7.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

... if that doesn't help, use the virtual XP VM that you can get for Win7.

Caveat: XPM requires Win7 Professional, Enterprise or Ultimate

Mr.Bill won't allow XPM to install on Win7 Starter, Home Basic or Home Premium. The Home Premium sabotage is a potential problem for many FM users. Rhetorical question: Is this a ploy to get you to upgrade to Ultimate? Answer: Does Steve Balmer throw chairs?

On the brighter side, the current version of XPM does not require that you have a CPU with hardware virtualization, but it will use it if present. You do need to have a CPU with decent performance.

______

This is all per the ever-iffy-Wiki, which also claims that XPM will allow you to run 16-bit code on Win7/64. I wonder. On current CPUs, those old x86 instructions may be shut off in 64-bit mode.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines