4 Replies Latest reply: Jan 23, 2013 1:47 PM by Dave LaRonde RSS

Getting out there in the AE World

ThetxJackalxt

Hi my name is Isaiah and I make after effects tutorials mainy hud tutorials and other varoiuse things. Currentley I only post tutorilas on my website and on youtube and I'm looking to exanpade my view count so others can benoifit from what I can teach them. Does anybody have any tips on how I can increase my views/traffic.

----------------------------------------------------------------------------

Please Visit my Website:http://jackalgfx.com/

Here is my most popular Tutorial

• 1. Re: Getting out there in the AE World
          Todd_Kopriva Adobe Employee

My primary recommendation is to concentrate on the audio for your tutorials. You have a lot of extraneous noises in the tutorial (sniffles, bumps, etc.) as well as a distracting hiss/rumble ambient noise.

If the audio sounds cleaner, people won't be distracted by the audio, and they can concentrate on what you're saying.

Also, I recommend rehearsing what you're going to say at least once, doing a dry run before you record the final video.

And don't hesitate to edit your video to get rid of pauses and such.

• 2. Re: Getting out there in the AE World
            ThetxJackalxt Community Member

Ya I made that video 5 mounths ago, still my most popular video, I have noticed most of the promblems and I have been working on fixing them. The whole static and noise was because of my mic that I had. I also have been rehearsing on my most recent tutorials and not just winging it from what I remeber. Thanks for the hints.

• 3. Re: Getting out there in the AE World
              Rick Gerard CommunityMVP

I hope you don't take offense, I'm going to be a little hard on you.

If you want to know how to make a great tutorial look at some of Deke's Photoshop tutorials. Time spent creating basic things like layers and importing footage is a waste of most viewers time. If you feel you must go through that step do it once and trim it. Liven up your presentation. It sounds like you have not slept for days. Great tutorials and great training are edited and produced. Just recording all of the steps in creating a composite and narrating as you go is just slightly more interesting than sitting in the back of a world history class while the professor mumbles as he writes on a white board. Not very effective, not very interesting.

• 4. Re: Getting out there in the AE World
                Dave LaRonde Community Member

I second all of Rick's suggestions. 

Just because you got the tutorial right in one take with the ol' screen capture software doesn't mean you're done.  Not by a long shot.  That's the pitfall that many, MANY people who make tutorials fall into.

Here's an example: when you add supporting graphics to the video to show what you're doing, it helps the learner learn faster.  You have to plan for them.  Your spoken copy has to reflect that you use them.  You have to make them.  And you have to add them in post-production. 

Check out some of Brian Maffitt's AE tutorials to see what I'm talking about.

And finally, learning how to spell is a big plus.  Actually, it's a given.