Dedicated community for Japanese speakers
  • 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Unable to create New Window of more than 1024/768 resolution

Sep 29, 2011 Sep 29, 2011

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

IN RH9 I am unable to create a New Window of more than 1024/768 resolution for the MS HTML Help. The Placement section on the Window Properties dialog would not allow more than these resolutions in the Width and Height fields even though the monitor's resolution is 1680/1050. Also it looks like the the Top and Left fields have ignored the user's inputs (for setting the dimensions of the window) though they are showing the actual placements when you move the window using the mouse. Would be grateful if someone helps me out.

Thanks

Vijjy

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
LEGEND ,
Sep 30, 2011 Sep 30, 2011

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I belive that this is a limitation of CHM files. Microsoft's compiler has not been updated in years and I suspect never will be to allow for more modern screen resolutions. There is also a train of thought that having the help window so large can be distracting for some users.

The RoboColum(n)   @robocolumn   Colum McAndrew

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Oct 01, 2011 Oct 01, 2011

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thank You Mr.Colum for caring to reply.

Actually I wanted to create a NewWindow for CSH which I wanted to position to the right edge of the monitor ( align the right edges of the CSH window and the monitor). The CSH window is around 400 / 700 pixels - w/h. My monitor's resolution is 1680/1050 . I am unable to position the CSH window since I am seeing a window of 1024/768. So this has become a quite a trickish task.

Regards

Vijjy

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,
Oct 02, 2011 Oct 02, 2011

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Vijjy. Unfortunately there is no way you are going to vbe able to so this with CHM files.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Oct 03, 2011 Oct 03, 2011

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Colum,

There seems to be a bug working(!) to help me. I created two windows one -1024/768 and another 400/700 for the CSH. Selecting the second window I have entered the value 1280 (1680-400) for the field Left in the Placement section. Now if you click OK, it would throw a message asking you to enter values between 0 and1024. Instead, I have selected the first window in the Windows to Display. Clicked Ok. Now it would not stop me and CSH window is placed exactly where I wanted it to be - as tested from the CSH Test tool. Of course still I need to test it with the real application. Both RH8 and RH9 seem to work this way.

--Vijjy

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Oct 10, 2011 Oct 10, 2011

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

If I remeber correcty, it was possible to adjust this value manually in the hhp file before generating. This way it was possible to use windows larger than the 1024/768 with previous RoboHelp versions. In RH9 this is evidently not possible any more because the hhp file is overwritten before generating.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Oct 11, 2011 Oct 11, 2011

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Mmmm..I do not think so. The "good" bug is there with you in RH9 also. I am using  RH 9.0.1.262. Following is what the .hhp file saved.
=
[WINDOWS]
NewWindow="ADMIN LITE","ADMIN LITE.hhc","ADMIN LITE.hhk","","",,,,,0x40080520,0,0x3006,[0,0,1024,768],0x0,0x0,,0,0,0,[Glossary,HHActiveX.GlossaryPane]
NewWindow1="ADMIN LITE","ADMIN LITE.hhc","ADMIN LITE.hhk","","",,,,,0x40080520,0,0x3006,[1280,65,1680,765],0x0,0x0,,0,0,0,[Glossary,HHActiveX.GlossaryPane]
=
I do not think it is overwriting with the default 1024/768 res.settings. When generating .CHM file I tested by selecting the second (NewWindow1) window as the Default Window for the main help file. When I clicked the generated  .CHM file it opened up itself spot on those coordinates (1280,65,1680,765).

Vijjy

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Resources
RoboHelp Documentation
Download Adobe RoboHelp